It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I can only ignore 10 posters but at least 20 are behaving badly

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   
V Kaminski makes a good point. Not all of us want to ignore someone because they don't agree with us. I don't mind a disagreement, and those who need to get in the last word don't bother me too much.

But I downright despise the 'baited' thread titles all in caps and exclamation points, then you click on it and it's one sentence. Eventually you're gonna run out of ignores for crap like that. I don't see any point in limiting ignores.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I've never ignored anybody, but I'll bet that I'm on a lot of people's ignore list.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by probedbygrays
I get loads of insults which I can't ignore because the ignore option only allows you to ignore 10 people.

probedbygrays, I'd just like to add to others' excellent advice that if someone is breaking the T&C, report them.

If you're taking what they say as an insult, but it doesn't break the T&C, then use your will to ignore their posts. That's what I do. It's a fun challenge and a great exercise of willpower. Better yet, read the vile things they have to say to you and then DO NOT respond.
The best of both worlds. You get to see what they have to say (however ignorant) and then have the satisfaction of giving it no power whatsoever. Win-win!

Remember, if you wish to truly ignore someone, when you see their avatar, simply move to the next post.

I have never used the ignore function (although I've been heartily tempted a couple of times) but I figure shutting out information, however impolite, brainless or just plain wrong, leaves me with less information with which to work. Give me all the information and I will handle myself accordingly.

Good luck working that out.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006
"ATS court". I would be all for that idea because some disputes will never be fully solved unless there is an impartial ear to hear both sides of the case

Thats what the mods are for. And I can just hear it now ... first time a court disagreed we'd all be hearing that it was just a 'lynch mob'. No thanks.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   
why ignore members???

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
why ignore members???

Seriously .. if it's so bad that you have tens of people put on ignore then WHY be here in the first place? If you don't like what you are hearing and/or you spend your whole day in severe disagreement with multiple members then WHY STAY? There are thousands of sites on the internet to chat on. Find one that makes you happy.

** Generic 'you' .. not you they see all.

[edit on 10/16/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Create a second account and put that other 10 on 'ignore'.

...Oh, that won't work? Nevermind.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Well what's the point of having an ignore option if it's almost impotent. Hec all it takes is 12 good trolls and they can bring down any well meaning thread.

I'd also add that if you don't have any enemies then you don't stand for anything. I have thousands of enemies if not millions and I need an ignore option that works god damn it!

I'm a nice guy, I spend all my life helping people, and I don't like wasting my days and nights arguing with professional trolls and psychos etc of which there are an endless supply.

We all criticise our leaders for going to war. It would have been good if they had the option to ignore all the little terrorist trolls. They ignored about ten of them, and then their ignore option ran out and our world is a living hell as a result.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I wouldn't call ATS court a "lynch mob". However, I see others would call it such. That is on their conscience. Not mine.

In fact, who said that the "ATS court" wouldn't involve mods? I honestly wish the person who originally brought up the idea would come here to this thread to give their two cents on the matter. Then, they could explain away this "lynch mob" notion politely and firmly, striking down the impolite and ridiculous insinuations of such a suggestion.

But then again, this is yet another case of someone second guessing and assuming what another would say. They can't be capable of just leaving things alone and letting others express their opinion. They always have to be snide.

That is the arrogance that some people unwittingly have because they lack the social skills to just let it go and continue with their day.

[edit on 16-10-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   
it all boils down to just paying trolls no mind.....yes it can be tough to to.....I try VERY hard not to get into spats with posters but sometimes the surly old-school biker in me comes out and before I know what happened I have got either in trouble with the poster..or a mod.....which can be dangerous to a long term ATS life.
Sure I have wanted to hit the ignore button on certain posters.....but that limits my gaining of knowledge and promotes my ignorance.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   
People are always going to have differing opinions. If you make unsubstantiated extraordinary claims, you will be met with disbelief. That's life. Just because someone does not agree with you, just because someone can find no merit in your words, it does not mean that they are a troll. I find this a term that is used far, far too much, to refer to anyone of a differing opinion.

You need more than 10 ignores? You poor, poor, sensitive little flower. Perhaps an Internet discussion community is not the place for you?

[edit on 16/10/06 by Implosion]

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   

In fact, who said that the "ATS court" wouldn't involve mods?

It is the job of the mods to do EXACTLY what you are calling for. To further request a 'court' of ATSers says that the mods are not doing their jobs. If they aren't doing their jobs now then they certainly wouldn't be invited to be in your 'court'.

impolite

It wasn't impolite.

and ridiculous insinuations

And where exactly did I say that you would be the one saying 'lynch mob'?? I didn't. But since you bring it up, considering your verbal insult history, it isn't ridiculous to visualize you calling the court a lynch mob when the court disagrees with your stand. In fact, I'd call it a sure bet.

They can't be capable of just leaving things alone and letting others express their opinion. They always have to be snide.

Oh Ceci .. just say FlyersFan instead of 'they'.
Your attempt at trying to appear polite when referring to me is transparent. And frankly, it looks like YOU are the one not letting ME express my opinion. You brought up that you want a court, and I said I didn't. That's my opinion. Seriously .. looks like you can't be capable of just leaving things alone and letting others express their opinion. You always have to be snide. (right back at you)

That is the arrogance that some people unwittingly have because they lack the social skills to just let it go and continue with their day.

Arrogance and lack of social skills eh? Glass houses Ceci .. glass houses ...
Your own words right back at you .. let it go and continue on with your day - and let me express MY opinion that I don't think that having a 'court' is necessary or a good idea.

... and how many edits did it take you THIS TIME to get the insults and insinuations to your liking?

edited for spelling (as usual)

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Well, it is time to leave it up to the mods. Now, I am looking toward their opinion to see what they have to say about the actions expressed toward this suggestion of "ATS court" so far.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   
ATS court seems like the kind of place where the whiny would go to be heard by their peers about how the mod didn't take their side, how much they cried themselves to sleep after goading someone into a fight...

I'm with FLyersFans on this one.

DE

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Well, it is time to leave it up to the mods.

Ceci hit the complain button. Oh yes, I can see just how long a life a 'court' would have. They don't agree with you position and WHAM ... hit that complain button.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
You're free to your opinion. But ATS court is also a place to be heard. It can also be a site in which mediation between members can be made in terms of conflicts on the board.

What else could be suggested to hear the grievances of members who seek a redress for what has happened to them by the negative actions of others on the board?

Whiny as it may be, but there is a court of law in society. And, there are people who are set up to police the laws made in society.

ATS is a sort of society which is very deserving of a place of mediation so that conflicts between members will not be flared up into conflagerations. Then, the impartial member (or members) who heads the court will render a ruling. I think it's a brilliant idea. It's a shame that others cannot see past the pettiness of such an institutions to make it workable to stop the negativity that often happens between members--especially when it comes down to certain issues and actions that have happened.

-------------------------------------------------------------

There's no shame in hitting the complain button. However, I didn't do that so there's nothing truly to laugh about.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Psstt...Ceci...we already have these impartial folks called mods, they try to mediate.

What you want is a forum to air your greivances, one where everyone agrees with you. If you can't deal with people who don't agree with you, maybe you should learn to work things out on your own.

Or, better yet, not start fights to begin with.

DE

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Who says that I wanted people to agree with me? You?

Alas, he protests too much.

Again, I reiterate, if you just can't say anything kind to me, leave me alone.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   

What else could be suggested to hear the grievances of members who seek a redress for what has happened to them by the negative actions of others on the board.

There is already a venue for that. It's called COMPLAIN button. The mods all talk amongst themselves 'on the other side' and discuss the situations and threads.

They also talk to the parties involved.

The Complain button isn't a big dark hole that goes to outter space .. there are real people on the other side who have been chosen because of their abilities to do a job. A MOD job.

Many times I don't like the way they let things slide .. but that's just the way life is sometimes. Not every crappy thing people say is going to get dinged here .. if it was YOU, Ceci, would have been gone months ago. Lots of us would be gone already.

You want a trial by jury for things? Go ahead and ask. But I think it's a lousy idea. Whatever.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
One problem with an ATS court. ATS is not a brave new world. What it is, however, is a privately owned site. We can lose our rights to post here at any time, should those who own the place, or those they appoint to ensure it runs smoothly decide that our presence is no longer required. We have no power to judge here, and nor should we, we are their guests. At the end of the day, it is not a democracy, it is a dictatorship.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join