It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will someone PLEASE teach me HTML??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Yes, it's a TALL request, but how am I suppose to come up with a customized blog here on ATS/BTS if I don't know HTML? Add as much as you can. Computer books cost a fortune! HELP!

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I WANT TO KNOW TO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want it for myspace!!!!

PLEASEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   
It's impossible to teach someone all of HTML on a board like this, just look for websites or get yourself an O'Reilly book (they're usually the best).

If you have any specific questions you can ask them here and I'm sure you'll get help.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   
It's best just to Google "HTML code." You end up with pages and pages examples to go through. That's more than enough for a beginner.

BTW, kudos djohnsto77 on the JW Blue avatar! Mmmm....

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 11:01 PM
link   
yeah there are heaps of examples out there

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Okay, perhaps you can recommend the best websites for this. Every one I've visited is just pushing another book!
:bnghd:

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 05:59 AM
link   
You can take an online class at www.w3schools.com...

It's free, simply click "Start learning HTML now!" to begin. Read the page thoroughly, try the exercices yourself, then when you grasp what the hell they are talking about, click Next to continue learning more stuff.

After you gained enough skills to code in basic HTML (this may take many days or weeks, don't give up!) start reading the page source from your favorite web sites to get some ideas how they do it.

When see HTML tags you don't know, go to this page to learn all about it: www.xs4all.nl...

While viewing pages source, you will encouter all sort of crazy shiat like Style Sheets (CSS), JavaScript, Macromedia Flash, PHP or ASP, XML, etc. Don't worry, you can skip that part for now, stick to HTML until you master it, then over time you will naturally advance to these add-on programming languages for enhancing your web page.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
With the w3schools link ufia, you covered the main resource I was going to suggest--excellent, excellent site for learning most anything for the web.

Originally posted by ufia
After you gained enough skills to code in basic HTML (this may take many days or weeks, don't give up!) start reading the page source from your favorite web sites to get some ideas how they do it.

In case you don't know how to do this, go to the View Menu on your web browser, and click on "Page Source" (or just "Source" if you're using IE, still in the View menu though.) You can also right click on any part of the web page that is just plain text and select "View Source/Page Source".

You might want to download a decent text editor too, although you can get by with Notepad even. Two of my favorites are jEdit and HTML-Kit. They're probably major overkill when you're first learning--probably more confusing than helpful--but once you get the hang of coding a little they're a god send.

If you have any specific questions, I'm sure most anyone here would be glad to help. I would if no one else would.

Good luck

Edit to Add: those two text editors are free, so no worries there, just the time it takes to download and install. Also, jEdit requires Java, although I believe they'll have decent instructions/requirements at their site if you want to play with it.

[edit on 10/20/2006 by MCory1]

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toelint
Yes, it's a TALL request, but how am I suppose to come up with a customized blog here on ATS/BTS if I don't know HTML?

I don't know much HTML myself but I've managed to put together a blog I enjoy very much.

Everything I know I've learned from this site.
www.learningmovabletype.com...

I've also found this site to be usefull.
www.w3schools.com...

I hope that helps.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Just want to say to those that have contributed, thanks for the links, I've started the online course and HTML is really not difficult at all once you know a few simple things... it's just getting the details down that will take some time. Thanks again

top topics

join