It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freddy Fender, 69, dies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Freddie Fender has died at age 69. I was most aware of his music in the seventies when I first lived in New Mexico, where he has always been very popular. He took his name from Fender guitars. Fender was a former US Marine.

Freddy Fender, the "Bebop Kid" of the Texas-Mexico border who later turned his twangy tenor into the smash country ballad "Before the Next Teardrop Falls," died Saturday. He was 69.

Fender, who was diagnosed with lung cancer in early 2006, died at noon at his Corpus Christi home with his family at his bedside, said Ron Rogers, a family spokesman.

Over the years, he grappled with drug and alcohol abuse, was treated for diabetes and underwent a kidney transplant.

Fender hit it big in 1975 after some regional success, years of struggling — and a stint in prison — when "Before the Next Teardrop Falls" climbed to No. 1 on the pop and country charts.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   
There was an article only yesterday in the newspaper over here, saying how sick the guy was.

I didn't know much about him, except his song "When the Next Teardrop Falls"
The song takes me back to my high school days.

Very Sad.
MH

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Jeez I'm gettin' old. Freddy Fender. He really brought Tex-Mex to the fore. You know you're gettin' on when half or more of the music you listen to is by dead people. Think I'll listen to a bit of his music.

Victor K.

43'

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Freddy Fender and Doug Sahm were really the ones, along with a few others, that really brought the Tex-Mex style of music to the main stream. Both of them even had many a hit together as a part of the Texas Tornados, i. e. their 1991 remake of Charley Pride's 'Is Anybody Goin' To San Antone?' Fender also had numerous number one hits such as Before the Next teardrop Falls and Wasted Days and Wasted Nights.

[edit on 10/18/2006 by gimmefootball400]

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Yeah,he was supposed to do a concert in my hometown either earlier this year or last year,can't remember, but he was so sick then that he had to cancel. I am really sorry that he passed. As the Houston Chronicle said, "Anyone with a voice like his will only be an imitation." He was considerably before my time, but I am familiar with some of his songs. He was good.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Freddy Fender? Damn...I thought he died a long time ago.......

He looked a little like this didn't he?

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Here are some photos of Freddie Fender.

This one comes close to the emoticon.

[edit on 2006/10/24 by GradyPhilpott]

top topics

join