It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The magical mystical frickin weird oarfish

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Has anyone heard of this fish? Its called an oarfish and is supposedly the source of many myths about sea monsters, it can apparently grow up to 60 feet long, and can live with half of its body cut off. Check out the video as well, you kinda have to look a bit hard.

www.thejump.net...

cool video

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Tiz an eel..or atleast a long fish

I have never heard of it. But 30 more species of fish have been found this year. Goodies!

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 05:17 PM
link   
i have heard of the oarfish. and yes it does get very long. its a beautiful fish.

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I was thinking, 60 feet long, that equals two sixty foot long filets, equals good eatin!

The crest on it looks magnificent, though I wonder how evolution hasn't killed it yet. I can't imagine that its very fast, and a sixty foot long target doesn't seem to hard to catch

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 05:22 PM
link   
yes i have seen footage of one of these in shallow water it was about 45 ft long... amazing when i saw it... there is probably weirder # than this deep in the sea...

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Watch it, Dreamstone...there's only one mystical fish on this website...

Meet Fred the Mystic Fish:

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Here ya go
www.amonline.net.au...

www.thejump.net...

www.nhm.ac.uk...

I remember one of these described in a book i read as a child "Undersea Adventure" or something like that. Beautiful fish.

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 05:54 PM
link   
On the Discovery Channel I saw a video of an oarfish being draged on shore and it was still alive the whole time. It look kinda cool with its gills moving and such.

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 05:56 PM
link   
i think gooking this is probably where i saw the footage aswell..

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 06:03 PM
link   
*Dreamstone bows before the majesty of the mystic fish*

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 07:28 PM
link   
an Oarfish was alledgedly caught this summer on the east coast of England... the story was a bit unbeleivable about it being caught (woman claimed she caught it while mackerel fishing) I beleive like many others of my angling freinds that it was washed ashore already dead. but nonetheless a beautiful fish. I too first read about it in Undersea Adventure by Willard Price about 20 years ago. a very good series of books, although would probably class them as childish now, but it did ignite an enthusiasim that never left me.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Reminds me of a fish I saw in Hawaii. They have some cool crap down there. Not as interesting as this one of course.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 07:35 PM
link   
beautiful fish...kinda looks like a giant underwater "rod" (the things some people claim are flying around everywhere)

top topics

join