It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radio Air America follows in Proud Liberal Footprints, Bankrupt!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I listened over the 'net for a while... I was left with the right impession - that the left can't do the right thing which is - talk radio. Air America was poorly done in so many ways and as distasteful as much of "other" side. It didn't stand a chance... a penny on the track compared to the "talk radio transcontinental locomotive".

It wasn't just a matter of funding. They just blew it. No biz-plan: wing and a prayer. Quite likely due to interpersonal problems within the "editorial" and "management" teams. Lotta ego's - no leadership, no listeners, no sponsors. Who ever green-lighted that "investment" is toast.

Who knows tho' maybe a real grass roots net radio of some sort will spring up that better represents all vews in talk radio without the rancor and mean spiritedness. I actually really like America and Americans and would like to know more about something other than war and scandal.

I really don't thinlk of Americans as Republican or Democratic, I mostly think of Americans as Dave, Roberta, Hector, Stevie, Alice... you know - people. Mostly nice too.

I do listen to Rush. I do listen to others... just to keep "aware" you know?

Victor K.

41'

[edit on 13-10-2006 by V Kaminski]

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK

Originally posted by centurion1211
A perfect description of the way that most union members and most blacks vote as a block for the democratic ticket in U.S. elections time after time - don't you think?

Yeah same could be said about right wing Christians, or business owners.
What you don't seem to realize is neither side is right.

On the contrary, I do realize that both sides have real problems. I also realize that -especially here - only one side gets continuously hammered. I'm just trying to call attention to that situation in hopes that the playing field can somehow be leveled.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
[Thanks for your contribution to the continued polorization on the board.

Oh, right. Like many of your posts don't contribute "to the continued polarization on the board". I've read many of them and your typical MO is to make a comment such as "OR it could mean that liberals don't need to beat their chests and confirm to themselves what they believe.
". And then when someone challenges you or disagrees, you try to slap them down, retreat behind your moderator's mantle and attempt to come across as some sort of ATS "Solomon" that's above it all.

[edit on 10/13/2006 by centurion1211]

May I ask who I've slapped down? I would REALLY like an answer to this question as semper and I have a good relationship. This was the member that you were refering to. You are impuning my name, BACK IT UP.

"Above it all"? Yes, I believe I am, I don't ascribe to any philosophy, I'm a Centrist, that means I think for myself on any given issue, not party line. I'm glad that you can see this BUT saddened by the fact that you can't deal with it.

Retreat behind my title as "moderator"? Again impuning my name AND the nature of ATS. Either back up your claims, or offer an apology.

*awaits the inevitable crickets*

I know, this was "off topic" but as a "moderator" the integrity of the site had to be defended.

We ALL await your reply centurion.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Oh, come on 1211.

From your sign up date, it is obvious you have been around long enough to see the pendulum swing both ways.

When I signed up, just a few months after you did, it was obvious to me at the time that this board had a heavy right wing bias.

As (what I consider to be) the truth about 9/11 and the War in Iraq, and the WOT in general has gradually unfolded, with lie after lie from the current administration being exposed for what it is, opinion has swung somewhat to the left.

It is only natural, and could have been expected, in fact, was predicted by a certain moderator (RANT).

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
Oh, come on 1211.

From your sign up date, it is obvious you have been around long enough to see the pendulum swing both ways.

When I signed up, just a few months after you did, it was obvious to me at the time that this board had a heavy right wing bias.

As (what I consider to be) the truth about 9/11 and the War in Iraq, and the WOT in general has gradually unfolded, with lie after lie from the current administration being exposed for what it is, opinion has swung somewhat to the left.

It is only natural, and could have been expected, in fact, was predicted by a certain moderator (RANT).

D'oh, wish I had pointed that out. Actually I was talking to another member tonight about this via u2u that it was like the tides. But then again, that was a member that I was appearently "slapping".

Well said IR.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I was talking about the way you have responded to me - and not just on this thread. Therefore, no apology is due or forthcoming.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   

On the contrary, I do realize that both sides have real problems. I also realize that -especially here - only one side gets continuously hammered. I'm just trying to call attention to that situation in hopes that the playing field can somehow be leveled.

OK fair enough. But I disagree that only one side gets bashed, some ppl use every excuse they can to bash the other side. Just another typical Human trait, to bash the other side...makes you feel like your side is more legitimate somehow, focus on the positive traits of your chosen part but only focus on the negatives of the other 'side'.
makes you feel better about your choice.

Do you know why sports are pushed so hard in school? To keep you fit? Nah, it's to instill that notion of 'sides', competition, winners and losers etc. Capitalism and control relies on it, and the ruling elite like us creating their wealth for them...

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 07:50 PM
link   

I was talking about the way you have responded to me - and not just on this thread. Therefore, no apology is due or forthcoming.

Cool, those that read this will see that you couldn't/wouldn't back up your claims of, well, I'd call it slander, but I digress.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   

You have voted ANOK for the Way Above Top Secret award

Really awesome, unbiased insight. Well done.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Original post by intrepid:May I ask who I've slapped down? I would REALLY like an answer to this question as semper and I have a good relationship. This was the member that you were refering to. You are impuning my name, BACK IT UP.

And I thought we were having a very good debate. If I had known you slapped me, I would have slapped you back.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Semper

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   
You know, I listened to Rush until about January 21, 2001. Then he got boring. Really boring. He was mildly entertaining and somewhat informative, but his ego was just too much.
We used to watch Imus, until he exited the metro Detroit market. (Apparently, a local rock station morning talk show steal too many viewers in this market).
But, really, he got boring too.

I know lots of people either love or hate conservative talk shows.
And, maybe they do so well because so much other air time is spent in non-conservative pursuits: music (or lack thereof), movies, television, even cable is often too liberal for many of us.

And, bush bashing is becoming so popular that liberal talk shows just aren't that provocative. Maybe Air America never even really had a chance.

The bottom line for me is to not listen to any of this crap. That's why I spend so much time here on ATS. And, why I'm listening to streaming Pink Floyd right now.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Intrepid or DTOM..

I just realized I posted this AFTER Icarus Rising posted the same thing on ATSNN...

It's not fair that I'm getting posts that he should be getting...

Could this be incorporated in his, or deleted, or referenced back to his?

Semper

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Cool, those that read this will see that you couldn't/wouldn't back up your claims of, well, I'd call it slander, but I digress.

Back up what? It's there for anyone to read. All one has to do is search your posts. Especially the ones that have to do with U.S. government or, heaven forbid, where someone criticizes canada. But you feel free to knock the U.S. every chance you get - until someone calls you on it and then you turn on them.

As for your claim to being a "centrist". Paraphrasing Senator Lloyd Bentsen's (D - Texas) great comment to Dan Quayle, "I've known "centrists" (we call them independents), and you're no centrist".

BTW, my turn to say that this is off the thread topic ...

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 06:40 AM
link   
A couple questions I'm curious about...

1. The thread title says that Air America is following in Liberal footprints of bankruptcy, but there is no reference I see of any other "liberal" bankruptcies. So, what examples is the thread title referring to? Are you trying to say the fact that the US has declared bankruptcy twice is because of "liberal" reasons?

2. What's the difference in the politics of Limbaugh, O'Riley & Co. and people like Franken? More generally, between liberals and conservatives? Because, the conservatives keep spending more on government and expanding the size and scope of government....that isn't very conservative, is it? But, to re-emphasize...what makes people like Franken a liberal and people like Limbaugh or others...not?

3. How come the top republican choice for President (Bush) and the top radio republican radio host (Limbaugh) are both noted former/current drug addicts?

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Air Amerika was doomed from the start. The liberal market was already saturated. CNN is the cornerstone of the liberal media. Why start up yet another liberal propaganda source when there are already so many others.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 06:49 AM
link   
The United States is bankrupt. Whose fault is it?

I just had to throw that in. Sorry.

You know, listening to OReilly last night, speak about the left winged radicals...we who do not agree with Bush's policies are left winged radicals, comparable to extremist Muslims, i couldnt help but feel sorry for us, that such hate has been stirred up in recent years.

What a shame. I always thought America had a two-party system, and we were free to chose which one we wanted. I am a proud American Democrat which now makes me a radical left winged nut job extremist. :shk:

The advantage the "right Wing" has, is that THEY CAN FREELY GO ON THE AIR AND SPEAK THEIR AGENDA, without a possible problem from the government.
People like Olbermann, and others willing to speak are condemned and are made to remain in the shadows, while the Limbaughs of the world are front and center.

One day you will all be sorry you allowed all this to happen. Trust me. I come from a country that started out the same way. I had to leave.
America, love it or leave it. For now, i will just keep my fingers crossed and hope to emerge from this dark cloud so that my grandchildren may live in a free democracy.
We are spreading it all over the world, but we do not have it here.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
Oh, come on 1211.

My recollection of back then (August, 2004) is quite a bit different. I originally joined because of the science stuff that I saw here. But, leading up to the 2004 elections, I soon saw the very heavy Bush/Republican/Conservative bashing (even from foreigners) that was going on here and decided to wade in as one of the few dissenting posters . As far as I can tell, it's only grown more strident here politically. Open season on the U.S., never mind the skeletons in the other countries closets.

I've said this in many other threads, and DG can back me up on this I think, but I have major problems with this administration regarding the conduct of the war, the handling of illegal immigration, and energy policy. So, it's not like I'm some rubber stamp Bush supporter, as some would try to paint me. All I can say now is that I believe GWB is a "lesser disaster" than Kerry would have been. I saw Kerry as another president roaming the White House at night asking the paintings what to do, while doing nothing. I've learned in the business world that doing something (even if it sometimes turns out to be the wrong thing) is always better than doing nothing.

And regarding the U.S., warts and all, I still think the U.S. is not even in the same universe as most of the countries that criticize - those that can only try to tear down what they know they'll never achieve.

So, questions back to you on your response. If the bias you perceived back in August, 2004 was wrong, in your opinion, is it right now (just because you agree with it)? Two wrongs make it right in your opinion? Hypocrisy OK as long as it suits your particular side?

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK

OK fair enough. But I disagree that only one side gets bashed, some ppl use every excuse they can to bash the other side. Just another typical Human trait, to bash the other side...makes you feel like your side is more legitimate somehow, focus on the positive traits of your chosen part but only focus on the negatives of the other 'side'.
makes you feel better about your choice.

Do you know why sports are pushed so hard in school? To keep you fit? Nah, it's to instill that notion of 'sides', competition, winners and losers etc. Capitalism and control relies on it, and the ruling elite like us creating their wealth for them...

True enough. My response is that I have no problem with a "dialogue". However, IMO, it has become a "monologue" here, where all you see is continual bashing of one side - and that's why Air America failed. Their audience already was against the current administration. So, their radio version of continual bashing was simply preaching to the choir. Been there, done that already, so why tune in for more. What was needed, IMO, was something new in the ideas department to energize their listeners. Alas, Al Franken and ohers couldn't seem to get past being like mean little kids, and my observation of libs/dems is that they like to feel good about whatever the issue is. And in the end, bashing does not leave one with a good feeling. That, I think, says it all regarding the failure of Air America.

[edit on 10/14/2006 by centurion1211]

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 07:16 AM
link   

All I can say now is that I believe GWB is a "lesser disaster" than Kerry would have been. I saw Kerry as another president roaming the White House at night asking the paintings what to do, while doing nothing.

You are 100% correct. If the dems had put Hillary; or Biden; or Lieberman; or even that wiggy Pelosi up as their nominee they would have won the election. Kerry was a walking disaster. A buffoon who ran on his being a Vietnam vet - when in reality he was only there four months (and he was only there because his deferment request was denied). He couldn't run on his senate record .. he didn't show up for work 75% of the time. Seriously. Just about ANY OTHER DEM could have won the election.

Oh .. and in addition to roaming around and asking the paintings what to do, he would have been giving the anti-American UN free reign to run the country into the ground. I have a quote of Kerry's somewhere .. I'll have to see if I can dig it up. He said (paraphrase) ... I won't go to war (defend america) unless the (anti-American) UN approves of it.

You are right Centurion ... it was a choice of which would have been 'less worse' in the White House. Kerry would have been worse.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   

1. The thread title says that Air America is following in Liberal footprints of bankruptcy, but there is no reference I see of any other "liberal" bankruptcies. So, what examples is the thread title referring to? Are you trying to say the fact that the US has declared bankruptcy twice is because of "liberal" reasons?

Bankruptcy :

Main Entry: bank·rupt·cy
Pronunciation: 'ba[ng]k-(")r&p(t)-sE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -cies
1 : the quality or state of being bankrupt
2 : utter failure or impoverishment

See number 2

2. What's the difference in the politics of Limbaugh, O'Riley & Co. and people like Franken? More generally, between liberals and conservatives? Because, the conservatives keep spending more on government and expanding the size and scope of government....that isn't very conservative, is it? But, to re-emphasize...what makes people like Franken a liberal and people like Limbaugh or others...not?

No argument from me other than the popularity of their shows compared to Air America.

3. How come the top republican choice for President (Bush) and the top radio republican radio host (Limbaugh) are both noted former/current drug addicts?

Proof that President Bush is a Drug Addict. i.e. Addicted to any narcotic. Please do not squander mine on your time with the ramblings of Bush Haters, some actual proof would be nice for a change. Such as, time in rehab, arrests for possession or distribution of narcotics, or even admissions.. any PROOF at all will do to support your erroneous blanket statement.

Semper

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join