It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paying Islamics to combat extremism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 05:47 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Thought ya'll would be interested in this. It has been suggested that the British taxpayers give money to Islamic groups that are moderate or progressive in certain areas; areas such as not committing terrorism and giving certain rights to women.

In other words .... use British tax payer money (YOUR money) to pay people to behave as they should be anyways.

I wonder if this will set a legal standard; will other groups start to threaten terrorism and promise not to if they get paid?

I understand the thought behind the proposal. It's not a bad thought. I just think it has serious other implications.

news.bbc.co.uk...

This site has some information on the reaction from 'militant' Islamics.
www.westernresistance.com...

[edit on 10/12/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
In other words .... use British tax payer money (YOUR money) to pay people to behave as they should be anyways.

- Maybe you might like to consider just who the "British tax payer" is, hmmmm?

Maybe some of that "YOUR money" you want to make so much of comes from our ordinary decent Muslim taxpayers too who, like the rest of us, have a vested interest in us gaining much better community relations, huh?

I wonder if this will set a legal standard; will other groups start to threaten terrorism and promise not to if they get paid?

- Don't be ridiculous FF.
If you want to look at it like that it's been going on for years, almost everywhere.
You could make such claims about lots of 'community investment' in the deprived areas across the UK - if you choose to insist on seeing things that way.

In Northern Ireland community investment programs to encourage young people into 'normality' and away from the extremists has been going on for years.

Community projects across the country all have (somewhere) in the idea a concept of 'idle hands' and keeping kids occupied in useful activities and out of trouble.

Anyway, why shouldn't there be (a relatively small amount of) public money spent on Muslim community projects like these?
(It's not like far far more isn't spent on other parts of the community, right?)

They're taxpayers too (and they too - as we all have to - have to accept that some of their tax money may be going to things they might not necessarily approve of, right?).

I understand the thought behind the proposal. It's not a bad thought. I just think it has serious other implications.

- Only if you insist on spinning it that way and ignoring what the people setting up the scheme have to say.

Clearly 'we' have a problem with engagement and contact with our Muslim community, this is merely a part of trying to garner better relations (which is, self-evidently, in all of our interests and very much needed).

This site has some information on the reaction from 'militant' Islamics.
www.westernresistance.com...

- A site from one extreme is just as pathetically ridiculous as the extremists on the other opposing fringe.

Frankly I could care less what idiot Muslim wannabe extremists boast at each other anymore than the equally ludicrous cretins on the right-wing fascist extreme.

join