It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaskan natives - Rather suffer than take free oil from Venezula

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   
By JEANNETTE J. LEE, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 42 minutes ago

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - In Alaska's native villages, the punishing winter cold is already coming through the walls of the lightly insulated plywood homes, many of the villagers are desperately poor, and heating-oil prices are among the highest in the nation.
ADVERTISEMENT

And yet a few villages are refusing free heating oil from Venezuela, on the patriotic principle that no foreigner has the right to call their president "the devil."

The heating oil is being offered by the petroleum company controlled by Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez,
President Bush's nemesis. While scores of Alaska's Eskimo and Indian villages say they have no choice but to accept, others would rather suffer.

"As a citizen of this country, you can have your own opinion of our president and our country. But I don't want a foreigner coming in here and bashing us," said Justine Gunderson, administrator for the tribal council in the Aleut village of Nelson Lagoon. "Even though we're in economically dire straits, it was the right choice to make."

news.yahoo.com...

They'd rather suffer in the cold than take free oil from a man that insulted our chief of staff while you liberals applaudded his insult. Shame on you. Seems like our most patriotic citizens come from the farthest reaches of our nation.

[edit on 9-10-2006 by k4rupt]

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   
And for their loyalty they may be receiving fuel oil from another source...

www.topix.net...

Victor K.

41'

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 06:19 PM
link   
That is really the definition of patriotism. They rather freeze then take free oil from ol' Hugh.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Hell yeah

I dis-like the Bush administration/U.S. government etc.. as much as the next guy (see my avatar), but I completely agree. We can dis-like our president and our government and insult them, but when a foreigner comes in and does it, then it's another story. It's like, it's ok to beat up on your brother, but when somebody else does it, then it's a problem.

Hugo is only uniting people with Bush by running his mouth. If there's one thing that will unite the people in this country, it's foreigners screwing with us. That's what he's doing.

Good for those Alaskans

top topics

join