It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2nd North Korea Blast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   
There are MSM reports as of 1:42 that there has been a second blast, though those reports are unconfirmed at this time....

SEISMOGRAPGH
Data from station INCN (Inchon, Republic of Korea)

aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...

www.freerepublic.com...

US detects second N Korea 'blast'
News.com.au ^ | 10/10/06 | correspondents in Washington

Posted on 10/09/2006 10:49:24 AM PDT by Michael_Michaelangelo

US intelligence has detected an explosion of less than one kilotonne in magnitude in North Korea but has not been able to determine whether it was nuclear or not, a senior intelligence official said.

The official, who asked not to be identified, said that first-time nuclear tests historically have been in the several kilotonne range.

“We are aware that there was a sub-kilotonne explosion in North Korea,” said the official. “We have not been able to determine at this point whether it was in fact nuclear.”

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   
lets hope they are calling bluff on this one.

last thing we want is nukes being set off here and there.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Coming across the wire in Canada now... he better not wake up Cheney... it's huntin' season... When this fellow "talks to God" is he talking to himself or his dead parent?

Victor K.

41'

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
This should get interesting pretty quickly.

I doubt China would let Little Kim test a WMD without the blessing of the party, so if Kim tested these weapons without the comm party approval I would expect a swift hand from China reather soon.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Problem being this.

If China plays a strong hand, it fears that North Korea will fall in on itself and China has to deal with a crowd of North Korean citizens on its border. This is an economic problem for China and South Korea. Unless China comes in and literally makes the North Korean government pro-China and along the lines of a "puppet" government, this is going to end very messy.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Here's hoping for the puppet government scenario then. lol. Never would I have thought I'd be thinking that.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Any US or Canadian Websites confirming this?

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
KNNSBS is starting it's programming day... see what the opening story will be (if I can understand it)... found an Aus link that does not confirm nor deny... also the the USGS link appears to be yesterday's test or identical (I could be wrong)... a test series does make some sense.

www.news.com.au...

Victor K.

41'

EDIT: Nothing on Yonhap yet...
english.yna.co.kr...

[edit on 9-10-2006 by V Kaminski]

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   
It's very early in the morning in Korea. Surely they would need some form of lighting for this test. Wouldn't the lights in an unusual spot show up on the satellites? I believe we are starting to see some "fearmongering" now.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Drudge Report just removed it from their site.

Looks like a false alarm unless someone has different Seismic data

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   
KNNSBS led the 5AM news with Bush's reaction and photos of aircraft carriers... NADA on a second blast... anyone with actually evidence beyond a second "possible blast"? I'm comin' up with bupkus for proof...

Victor K.

41'

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I don't think we can be sure about the supposed 1st test.

I keep looking and I'm seeing little beyond 'claims' and comment and absolutely zero about actual definitive and factual 'proof'.

Has it even been proved beyong doubt that a 1st nuclear detonation happened never mind mere rumours of a 2nd?

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Yes, you're riight Sminkey - with the exception of the Russians everyone is being rather cautious about what they say and even some of the media are being careful not to be too adamant about what has happened.

I have a feeling that this may be due to the relatively low yield of the device, (approx 1 kiloton or lower is generally being reported), only the Russians are reporting anything significantly larger which may explain their conviction that it was nuclear.

There is definitely still an element of doubt in my mind too.

[edit on 9-10-2006 by timeless test]

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Sminkey, I've been sitting here mulling over what you just posted. I came to the fact that I was "told" that this all happened, and operated off of that fact, not even questioning it. Scared the heck out of me. Not as good a skeptic as I thought. Have we truly verified the first one? And that it wasn't simply a lot of TNT underground that we are reacting to?

Sure Lil Kim is crazy, but isn't this exactly what a crazy person would do??

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I don't know if there's any truth in it. All I do know is that you can rest assured that North Korea is going to push the envelope on this. They are going to see how far they can go before the U.S decides o act. You can rest assured on that one fact.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Hmm, why would they want to test the world further, when the response has been merely more sanctions.

Maybe this was an explosion to remove the debri's left after the half/succesful test?
instead of clearing that crap way, just bomb the bajee'zaz outta it a bit more.

Interesting but, ill be keepin n eye on dis.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I dont think there was a 2nd blast, just some people getting nervous and misinterpreting facts. China and Japan are the key players here. China will get Jung II under control sonner rather than later by whatever means necessary. All the US has to do is start making preparatations to arm Japan with Tactical Nukes. This is the last thing China would want. Make no mistake China still fears a weoponized Japan. That is the key in the region we should use to get the North Korean problem solved.

new topics

top topics

join