It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: North Korea conducts nuke test

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 10:21 PM
link   
They could have sealed the detonation area well enough to contain any radiation I think, but there is absolutely no way to hide the shock waves a nuclear explosion would send through the Earth, and it appears none have been detected.

I think this is a NK lie.

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Isnt riotcomings up near the top a seismic graph indicating a dramatic event
?

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by owner
I'm not an expert on this stuff but the test was conducted underground, may be this is why there's no leakage?

Yeah that's a fair call but usually you don't come out and say that right away. Doesn't make sense to me. You'd be reporting on the effectiveness of the test, the blast size etc before you got to radiation.

That and no seismic activity seems a bit odd. Still possible they did perform a test but if the seismic sensors failed to pick it up it would have to be

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Is there USGS confirmation yet?

I don't see anything.

[edit on 8-10-2006 by loam]

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
Is there USGS conformation yet?

I don't see anything.

According to FOX, nothing unusual detected.

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 10:25 PM
link   
NK is now saying it occurred at 10:36 a.m. their time and there was no radiological leakage. I still find the seimological data to be majorly lacking. I keep looking for any seismographs that may show something (well seismographs outside of NK control that is)

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Confirmed seismic activity out of Inchon at the link provided by riot'.
aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...

SBS NewsCenter is showing video of an eathquake analysis system right now and showing graphs with squiggles... oh yeah they detonated a nuke. One less they can use for materiel for a missile...

Now what will China, Japan, the US and the group of six do about it?

Victor K.

41'

[edit on 8-10-2006 by V Kaminski]

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure the USGS has the resources in place to detect any nuclear detonation on the Earth, and nothing so far has been detected according to them.

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 10:32 PM
link   

South Korea said it had detected a tremor in North Korea which earlier announced it had conducted a nuclear test on Monday.

The South Korean presidential Blue House said the Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources had detected a tremor of a magnitude 3.58 to 3.7 at 0135 GMT

Source.

Maybe not so fake.

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   
From what I've read so far, the USGS has said no seismological activity, but there are reports that a South Korean intel agency has told the South Korean Foreign Ministry that a 3.58 seismological reading was picked up around the time of the claimed test.

Well, this is a nice spot of brinksmanship. Who's going to blink first?

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   
A very small underground nuclear test may not be detectable by the USGS sesnors. It may just be a verification test to ensure all their systems work and to qualify to the world that yes they do have workable nuclear weapons.

As for what the world can do - sit back and wait. Sanctions are an option but its how this debacle started in the first place.

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 10:38 PM
link   
According to FOX, USGS is ssaying there is some information coming in right now. Location and magnitude is known but official word coming up in 30 minutes.

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Just heard on CNN that the USGS picked up something and will be speaking in 30min.
hope for the best.

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 10:40 PM
link   
just what the republicans need! something to take the focus off of the foley scandal.

if this blast is confirmed the world will see an arms race in asia.

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Heard the same thing on FOX, now it seems USGS is going wobbly on what they've detected.

If they exploded a nuclear weapon OMG, we may be starting WWIII or WWIV (depending on your view of the cold war) tonight!

[edit on 10/8/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 10:41 PM
link   
They'll probably try to get China to do something about it, but will it? China is afraid of an influx of immigrants comeing into their country if they try to punish NK.

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 10:42 PM
link   
So, ,people.

before the officials come out..

what is the prefered stance now that is has happened.

What do you feel is a justifed response to this test?

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 10:43 PM
link   
South Korea says to US
3.58 magnitude, no nuclear leaks
From FOX

[edit on 8-10-2006 by Nihilist Fiend]

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Fox news just stated the USGS stated a 3.58 mag confirmation.. with no radation leaks. Im very courious to see how the world will respond to this...

[edit on 8-10-2006 by jand2340]

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 10:44 PM
link   
That is the big unknown, what will this lead too?
We attacked Iraq because they might, maybe could, someday have a weapon. Now we have a country that is our enemy who does have the weapon and now they would have tested it.

Will this lead to conflict? Now the Bush Admin is confirming the test but that it was not as strong NK wanted it too be.

I assume sanctions, maybe we should hit their nuke facities as well.

[edit on 10/8/2006 by nativeokie]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join