It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the Confidence in Electronic Polls?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 05:45 AM
link   
In the last major election, many questions were raised about the validity of the electronic polls. After the election, the whole mess was effectively swept under the rug.

This election I'm sure that I'm not the only one concerned about the integrity of the electronic polls. We all know that anything electronic can be programmed to do whatever the programmer wants it to.

I'm curious to know what the thoughts are of others here.

I don't know how to do it, but I'd also be curious to see a poll on this website that would allow each member one vote about their confidence in the electronic polls.

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I am totally convinced that these corrupt vermin will stop at nothing to hold on to their power.

We've already been through two stolen elections where no paper trail means no proof, but all the exit polls disagreed with the final tallies.

We have verified proof from Princeton, that these machines are totally capable of vote flippling, irregular counts or crashing when the results prove to be unfavorable to this administration.

All without any paper record to use as evidence.

These machines can be pre-loaded without anyone having a clue as to what's going on.

The OTHER insurance policy is to derail the election process with voter sign in software that is
barely alpha grade software.

Just google what happened in the Maryland Primaries.

All of this makes me wish that we had to right to allow poll judges to officially witness our votes if so desired so they can keep some sort of written record to crossmatch to the final tally.

I've considered promoting the use of cell phone or other digital cameras to record your selection
before you leave the booth.

We have less that 30 days to go and there are still no guarantees that our votes can be cast with confidence.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Problems with electronic voting are already being reported. Here is a link with two interesting video clips with Lou Dobbs....

www.thelastoutpost.com...

After watching these video clips, how do you feel about going the the polls this Tuesday using the electronic polls? How many here plan to request a paper ballot when voting?

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I doubt they're any less secure than the machine voting systems probably made in 1950 used where I live.

You go in, twist some knobs, and pull a big lever to supposedly record your vote, but there's no paper trail and I'm sure the system is open to corruption by poll workers.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Then you watched the video clips? What is your opinion on them?

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I love the electronic voting. It's hard to imagine that we won't be able to vote online from home at some point in the future. The machines are very easy to operate - if you are unable to figure out how to use them I don't want you voting anyway - and can easily be fitted to whatever language you're most comfortable with according to the demographic of the area in which you live. Many areas require a paper record of every vote, and it is puzzling why all areas do not have it, but I am not a tech so I don't know what all is involved in making that so.

As djohnsto77 said, I can't see why these things would be more vulnerable to manipulation than the old-style voting mechanisms. You're closely watched when you go to vote, and I remember back in '04 that when a single nutter ran up and unplugged a machine that entire polling place was shut down for at least a little while. Hopefully, they've installed those lockable power cords by now.

We already trust things like ATMs wholeheartedly, and nobody is watching me when I use them - maybe a camera, but it would take a considerable amount of time before a-somebody realizes I'm up to funny business and b-the cops get there to take care of it. The average voter would probably be much more upset with having their checking account looted for a few 0's than if say, Kerry beat Bush.

It's easier and it's quicker - I think it's great.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 06:21 AM
link   
One of the problems with these machines is that they are not nearly as secure as the ATM machines. They should be at least that secure.

There are obviously problems when 500 voters check in at a polling place and the tally of votes for all of the candidates from that polling place shows 524 votes cast. If that sort of thing can happen in one polling location then it can happen in others. Then, of course, there are problems with integrity when the compilation of votes is done by private companies such as Sequoia or Diebold who are major party donors rather than election judges.

I find your blind faith in these machines, their programmers and the companies doing the tallying to be very interesting. I wonder if all Americans think that way.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree
We've already been through two stolen elections where no paper trail means no proof, but all the exit polls disagreed with the final tallies.

Well, you won't have to worry about that any more because they're doing away with exit polls.

There are a lot of people on this board who seem not to deny, but to gleefully embrace ignorance. They obviously don't want their votes counted... or need it: the system enables them, effectively, to vote many, many times.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 05:08 AM
link   
All we can hope for now is that this new high awareness of the potential for manipulation of the results

will serve to enforce some degree of integrity as the results are tallied.

If the results do not accurately reflect our votes, then I do fear there will be civil unrest.

We simply can not ignore the motive for pushing through recent anti-insurrection legislation.

We must all watch for signs of hacked results and fuzzy math.

Hopefully most results will indicate a landslide victory for change, but the results in battle ground states
will be the one's to watch closely.

We must also be aware that there are several months ahead before the inaugurations of winning
candidates.

So much can happen in that time frame if the current administration feels threatened with criminal
prosecution and impeachment.

We know how they operate to divide, distract and deceive.

I fear they will stop at nothing to protect themselves from criminal investigations.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Well, taking a "poll of polls", which ought to be more reliable, the Democrats are clearly ahead, in fact they win EVERY major poll since 2005 according to this list..
Polling Report 2006

That's very different form thr 2004 presidential elections, where the polls showed a more closely run race.
Polling Report 2004

Given the democrat lead across the board, I'd be VERY suspicious of the Rublicans come out ahead this time.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 09:23 AM
link   
The machines appear to be simplistic.
They can be altered to do whatever the last person touching them before voting begins wishes them to do, Democrat or Republican hands either one.

It seems obvious that they would know this.

new topics

top topics

join