It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marines Shoot Iraqi Civilian 10 times in the Head

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   
8 U.S. Military personnel - 7 Marines and a Navy corpsman - face charges of murder after seizing an Iraqi civilian, throwing him in a hole, and shooting him multiple times in the head.

edition.cnn.com
All eight also face charges of kidnapping, conspiracy, larceny, assault and housebreaking, or unlawfully entering a dwelling. Five of the men also are accused of making a false official statement, according to information released to the media.

The eight -- members of the Pendleton-based 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment -- were taken out of Iraq and detained at the base after accusations that they killed Hasham Ibrahim Awad, 54, a disabled veteran of Iraq's war with Iran in the 1980s.

The troops, all assigned to Kilo Company, allegedly removed Awad from his home and shot him to death.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I really hope that no one comes out and says "this is just the troops letting off steam." The aussie soldiers who released those videos did it to ease the tension: this is just a blatant act of kidnapping and murder.

Also, the fact that Petty Officer 3rd Class Melson Bacos now gets off scott free because he told what happened to the court really just doesn't seem right to me.

The soldiers stole a shovel and an AK-47 from a house and went searching for an insurgent named Saleh Gowad.
They couldn't find him, so they went into Hasham Awads house and kidnapped him. They then forced Awad to the ground, tied his feet and placed him in a hole.

3 of them fired M-16 rifles at Awad while two others fired M-249 automatic weapons, killing him. An M-249 is a Squad Automatic Weapon, a light machine gun.

Then, after he was dead, an AK-47 was fired into the air to expend some shell casings. The casings were collected and placed by the body. Fingerprints were wiped off the AK-47 and it was put in Awad's hands.

All I can say is that I'm bloody glad I'm not an Iraqi, with those soldiers there to 'protect' me. You can't tell when one's gonna go haywire. I also suppose it's a group macho thing. One says something, another feels he has to top it, and so on, until situations develop that shouldn't develop at all. What way is there to prevent this happening?

Check out the ATS thread by Dave Rabbit. Good luck over there man, btw. It's awesome to see what you are doing. Most of those guys don't want to be there anyway, so at least you can give em a good laugh

Related News Links:
SignonSandiego.com
FederalNewsRadio.com
JournalTimes.com
USAToday.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Friendly Fire - The Hushed Up Secret Of The Military

[edit on 6/10/2006 by watch_the_rocks]

[edit: "have been convicted" - changed to - "face charges" for clarity]

[edit on 10/7/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Justice has been served. That's more than can be said for the radical scum who started this war.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Justice has been served on a 54 year old disabled veteran, Grady? Is that the kind of 'justice' the Iraqi people were promised?

These men need to face trial and, if found guilty, punished harshly. A mindless act that can only make things worse for the troops over there. Events like this will get more publicity than any of the good the coalition is doing over there and turn even more Iraqis to the side of the insurgency.

Brings to mind the SAS soldier who refused to serve with the US soldiers due to their attitude towards the Iraqis.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I misread the blurb. I thought they had been convicted. I'll revise that to justice will be served. That's a lot more than we can say for our murdering enemies. At least we hold our own accountable.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Justice will be served?

I don't get it, I thought that US took already revenge when it when after al-qaida in Afghanistan Grady.

What is going in Iraq is a blatant injustice to the people of that country that The present administration War for liberation of their nation has brought to their lands.

No, Justice have not been serve still.

Where is the justice for our soldiers caught in an unjust war in Iraq?

Our soldiers are becoming victim of the circumstances that has made some of them criminals.

Yes justice will be serve for the ones that has committed heinous acts and have been caught.

But none of this would have happened if we were not in Iraq at all.

We should never has gone into that country and make a mess of it.

No, justice is still to be served and our soldiers are paying for it everyday that one of them die.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 10:32 PM
link   
The Iraqi had to do something to get that type of treatment. I prob go haywire and do the same thing if someone pisses me off enough.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Yes he is an Iraqi in an occupied homeland, and probably Muslim. Of course he had to have done something to piss them off. And of course whatever he did deserved the exact treatment he got.

Can you tell im mocking this statement?

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
Can you tell im mocking this statement?

Of course we can, DYepes, in your own twisted sense and perspective.
Your key words were: "occupied" and "Muslim."
Surprised you did not throw in 'crusade' or something to that effect....

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 12:02 AM
link   
i see no problem with this. you can't take chances and if you have to fire 10 times into someones head to ensure your survival, i fully suppor it.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 12:02 AM
link   
i see no problem with this. you can't take chances and if you have to fire 10 times into someones head to ensure your survival, i fully support it.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Uhh, Yetichi, I hope that you are not serious.

Those men did not fire in self defence. They dragged an innocent man out of his home, tied him up, threw him in a hole, and shot him with automatic weapons; then tried to make it look like they in fact were acting in self defence by placing the AK and shovel as well as the cartridges next to him. They admitted this.

Perhaps you should read things before you decide to post ignorant, naive replies that contribute nothing to the conversation?

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I am sure there are some bad people in our military but it sounds like any Saturday night in Chicago or New York or even Washington.
I will try to find it but I saw in some article that more young men have died on our city streets than in Iraq in the same time period. It is sad that we do not have the same outcry in our country.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
At least we hold our own accountable.

Oh Grady... I literally laughed out loud when I read that. Since the hell when? The only people we hold accountable are the ones who can't buy immunity.
Radical Scum that started this war? Um, we started the 'war' didn't we? War on a Noun is bad enough, but it's funny how all that radical scum turns out to be people who were on our pay roll isn't it. We've been screwing around in the Middle East, regime changing and subverting politics there since the Barbary Pirates and that is just the US involvement. You're a reasonably learned fellow so I'll spare you the history lesson.
If it's a legitimate war on terror, then what the hell were/are we doing funding terrorists? If we were really after Bin laden, then why did we turn down at least five offers for his extradition, and why the hell are we in Iraq? How do you spread peace and 'democracy' at the end of a rifle? How transparent does this crap have to get before people like you can see through it?

As to the story, this kind of stuff happens in every war ever fought. You give a lot of young men swords or now rifles, pump them up on some anti-whoever propoganda and send them off to kill, then yeah, they kill. Killing is a sickness of man, this is merely a symptom of that sickness inherent in a class based society. As I have said before, alot of you called for and supported the war and now you don't like the way it tastes, well sorry but eat it anyway. This stuff happens when you send young men to do violent things to other people. Always has, and it always will. It's a War, the same thing that killed your grandparents, and their grandparents, and so on and so on. Grady has given us a good example of how this murderous intent perpetuates and it's the same crap town criers would shout from the battlements as your ancestors marched off to do the same evil deeds, amazingly in this case, to the same bunch of people.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Justice has been served. That's more than can be said for the radical scum who started this war.

So you not only misread the post... you misread who started the war. It is true, however, that the war criminals Bush and Blair are still revelling in entirely unwarranted freedom.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
Uhh, Yetichi, I hope that you are not serious.
:
Perhaps you should read things before you decide to post ignorant, naive replies that contribute nothing to the conversation?

You know, the same thing could be said about you. When I read this

8 U.S. Military personnel - 7 Marines and a Navy corpsman - have been found guilty of murder after seizing an Iraqi civilian, throwing him in a hole, and shooting him multiple times in the head.

I was astounded, because I had heard of no trial and conviction in this case. Yet your opening statement had them tried and convicted.

Actually, I was surprised that that managed to slip by the ATSNN editors

Edit: Fix BB code

[edit on 7-10-2006 by jsobecky]

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   

That's not true, Bush and his cronies are still in the White House

Of course we can, DYepes, in your own twisted sense and perspective.
Your key words were: "occupied" and "Muslim."

Huh? What the hell is that supposed to mean?
We are ocupying Iraq.
It is an overwhelmingly Muslim country.

Beyond the usual attitude of smug condescension, as far as I can tell your post was entirely content free.

[edit on 10/7/06 by xmotex]

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 12:51 PM
link   

That's more than can be said for the radical scum who started this war.

Damn Right - all those hard-core neo-con Hawks (Cheney, Rumsfeld, Bush&Bush, Wolfowitz, Kissinger and others) who are responsible for all the Fiascos in the Middle East, who have violated numerous International Laws and Conventions in the process of Liberation of Iraq shall never ever see the International Criminal Court in Hague.

As far as the numerous acts of terrorism commited by US troops in Iraq are concerned - ah well, Empires never really cared for the Colonies which they occupied; most of the times the locals were treated as LESS-human, as the US forces in Iraq are treating the Iraqis - and the statement "We don't do bodycounts on Iraqi civilains" tells it all.

Halls of Justice Painted Green
Money Talking
Power Wolves Beset Your Door
Hear Them Stalking
Soon You'll Please Their Appetite
They Devour
Hammer of Justice Crushes You
Overpower

The Ultimate in Vanity
Exploiting Their Supremacy
I Can't Believe the Things You Say
I Can't Believe
I Can't Believe the Price You Pay
Nothing Can Save You

Justice Is Lost
Justice Is Raped
Justice Is Gone
Pulling Your Strings
Justice Is Done
Seeking No Truth
Winning Is All
Find it So Grim
So True
So Real

(Metallica)

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Yeah, well, jsobecky, considering the time of the morning/night I wrote most of this, I reckon you could excuse me for that single slip up. When I attempted to edit it yesterday I found I couldn't.

But at least I'm not advocating shooting someone 10 times in the head to 'ensure your survival.' And at least I didn't post the statement twice.

Anyway, nice work for bringing it up
I don't think anyone else did, perhaps apart from Grady, who seems to now be taking a lot of heat for what he said.

And factfinder38, I know where you're coming from. Driving accidents in America kill more people than drugs, firearms and diseases in people under 34, 40, 000 people every year, but where is the massive outrage about this? How many drug rehabilitation programs, anti-NRA protests, and fundraisers for AIDS research are there? But yet, the number of people these things kill pales in comparison to automobile deaths.
It sure is werid, the world we live in.

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 01:20 AM
link   
When a person gets too much power they abusse it.

-Leo

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Some of these people here defending these actions are just plain disgusting. People question the fact that 9/11 being an inside job could never be hidden? I say BS, there are people in this country that would be more then willing to do this kind of crap just to make it appear as though someone else did it.
I am glad one of those men had the ballz to admit what he did was wrong and to uncover these cowardly piece of crap soldiers that are supposed to be our representatives on foreign ground. Is it a wonder why we should be feeling any less safer with idiots like this roaming around with heavy artillery?

Source
"I knew what we were doing was wrong. I tried to say something and then I decided to look away," the 21-year-old Navy medic from Franklin, Wis., said Friday as he pleaded guilty to kidnapping and conspiracy charges in the death of Hashim Ibrahim Awad.

Speaking in a flat, unemotional voice, Bacos told Col. Steven Folsom, who presided over his court-martial in a cramped military courtroom, that he had urged the Marines to let Awad go and was offended when one told him he was being weak and should stop protesting.

"I felt I couldn't stop it any more that day. They were going to do it. They were going to carry out the plan, so I continued on," he said.

Prosecutors said Bacos helped the Marines cover up the killing by firing an AK-47 assault rifle into the air. It was later planted on Awad's body to make it look like the 52-year-old Iraqi man was a terrorist.

If you can't find a Terrorist then just make one up! Even if it is a 52 year old Disabled arab!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join