It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foley: Page Prank Gone Bad?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 02:26 PM
link   
The Drudge Report is indicating the lurid Foley messages were the result of a page prank that had gotten into the hands of rival Democrat operatives.

www.drudgereport.com...

This appears to be just now breaking.

Get out the popcorn folks.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Even if it was a prank on his part was he still underage? Did Foley still have innapropriate conversations with him? And why would Foley resign if he had done nothing wrong? I think the issue is the intent of Foley and not of the page and to me Foleys intent was to have an innapropriate sexual realtionship with the page.

[edit on 5-10-2006 by etshrtslr]

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   
If it was a prank, then why did he quit? Why did he go into therapy? And furthermore....why didn't he suggest this last week when all this was coming out?

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Well-- Foley stated through his Lawyer this morning that he is Gay, so I hardly think it is a prank. What it is, is Disinformation. Whoever perpetrated this one in the name of Damage Control will be looking like the "A" he is very shortly.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Don't you just love US Election Season? /sarcasm

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   
This doesn't make sense. Believe me, I'd love for all this to turn out to be just a bad dream, but Foley has fallen on his sword, politically, and has entered rehab and has alleged that he was the victim of a pedophelic priest.

Does this really sound like a prank?

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Yes... It's October after all.

This is a prank of deflection to occupy the news with lurid stories so that we dare not spend time on any real issues.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Not since Dick Tuck retired, and Donald Segretti's a Republican. I think.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
This Edmunds guy is in fear of his future career, and is upset that he has been
labeled as a homosexual.
So, he hires a lawyer, and calls it a prank. IMO

But yep, Foley has admitted to other past "sins" so he quit before he knew how deep the trouble was.
No re-election for Foley, no standing ovations for Foley. He pretty much outted himself.

We knew Foley, and he was no STUDDS..

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
This is a prank of deflection to occupy the news with lurid stories so that we dare not spend time on any real issues.

While I don't hold this view, politicians diverting attention from real issues is more plausible than a prank pulled by a single page on an unwitting Congressman that later got into the wrong hands, which is what Drudge posits.

Initially, the parents of Edmund requested that Hastert stop Foley from emailing him. That happened and everyone was happy until the IMs were revealed. That's when all hell broke loose.

I think Foley is guilty as hell and should get the book thrown at him.

The only bone I have to pick is with Democrats who want to make more of it than it really is.

I also don't think that the public is so dumb as to forget the real issues because of a stupid Congressman--the press maybe, the public never.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Mr. Foley already got his foot in his mouth so they can spin it anyway they want it, with the Alcohol problem, molestation problem still it stinks to high heaven.

So no is not a prank.

What I love is the fact that the littler seed of doubt will pretty much convince the gulible.

Still how is business in the middle east? anyone knows?

Yes our soldiers are dying in significant numbers in Iraq since the weekend but sex will beat anything including an imminent terrorist attack anytime.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   
All those above who are saying that Foley called this a prank might want to take another look at the original source article:

According to one Oklahoma source who knows the former page very well, Edmund, a conservative Republican, goaded an unwitting Foley to type embarrassing comments that were then shared with a small group of young Hill politicos. The prank went awry when the saved IM sessions got into the hands of political operatives favorable to Democrats.

DRUDGE REPORT

[edit on 5/10/06 by Implosion]

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 05:02 PM
link   
So basically this theory is that the page, knowing Foley was gay, pulled this "prank" to get him to speak out of line, then it got leaked to Democratic operatives by some third party?

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
then it got leaked to Democratic operatives by some third party?

Leaked..yeah.

I'm starting to think Edmunds was a "hired hand".
Paid to elicit an expected response from Foley.

Are there any IM's floating out there that were actually sent to a minor?

[edit on 5-10-2006 by spacedoubt]

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Yes a prank right?

So the Katrina E-mails were also a prank and the boy in question who was then 16 and had worked for Rep. Rodney Alexander, a Louisiana Republican, and his family are all in it.

When, the cover up and the political blindness will stop?

When people will open their eyes and see that this is not made up and is not a prank.

Yes perhaps the timely way in which came out in the public may be suspicious, still Foley is gay and he has his good time harassing boy pagers in the White House.

That is the fact.

Deny ignorance don't spread it.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   
no one is claming the anything else was a prank.

Only the one ex-Page, Edmunds, is claiming his IM session was started as a prank.

I don't believe him either.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by etshrtslr
Even if it was a prank on his part was he still underage? Did Foley still have innapropriate conversations with him? And why would Foley resign if he had done nothing wrong? I think the issue is the intent of Foley and not of the page and to me Foleys intent was to have an innapropriate sexual realtionship with the page.

[edit on 5-10-2006 by etshrtslr]

He was actually at the age of consent, and because he was and is a big part of this I feel his name should be released, which I am sure he doesn't want because everyone will know hes gay. Foly is a sick man, but he did nothing illegal, simply shamed him self and his political party. He resigned because his party went on damage control, he was usless to them and became hazardous to the election. If you look at his record and from other pages, he likes to talk dirty, aparently getting a kick out of it and be around young men, always above 16 which is the age of consent. He has never had nor approached a page to make a suggestion to have sex with any of them. What he did was wrong, but keep it into the context of what really happened instead of making things out to be worse then they appear.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
As much as I hate to say it, I think this talk of it being a prank is just an attempt at damage control. It seems like Foley's behavior extended far beyond this one young man.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I got an Idea!!!!

Let bring Foley back. . . and let him have all the sixteen year old boys he wants and let give him a private room just for him in the White house.

Let see how many conservative fathers and mothers out there will gladly have their 16 year old boys been tutored by men of Foley's age.

After all the age of consent is 16 in DC. right?

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I don't think anyone, ANYONE is advocating bringing Foley back.

Something we all pretty much agree on..no more Foley.

The point is that there are questions about this page, his age at the time.
What the truth is about this IM session.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join