It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military helicopters train over Montreal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   
The Canadian army has begun a series of joint service training exercise designed to improve urban warfare tactics. These wargames are being held over downtown Montreal with three Griffon Helicopters flying over the downtown core and practicing hovering over large office towers. The exercise is designed to practice urban warface tactics in a major city

www.q92fm.com
Military helicopters train over Montreal again
2006-10-04 07:07:52

Don't be alarmed if you see as many as three military helicopters flying on top of Montreal today.
The Canadian Special Operations Forces Command is conducting a two day exercise to practice flying over urban areas. Griffon choppers will leave Trudeau airport and will fly over autoroutes 13, 20, and the Ville-Marie.
You may also spot the helicopters hovering over buildings.
The military began the training exercise on Tuesday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I decided to post this after seeing the similar article about the US army running a similar exercise. I witnessed this excercise and one chopper actually spent time hovering over my office building.

To me the timing seems suspicious that it coincides with the U.S operation and that it is being done by special forces. I saw on the montreal 6 o clock news an army representative say the excercise was designed to help practice for Hostage rescue.... since when do special forces get involved in urban hostage rescue?

Related News Links:
www.940news.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
U.S. Army Practices Urban War Inside U.S.A.

[edit on 4-10-2006 by Perfect stranger]

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   
JTF2 has been involved in a number of counter-terrorist operations, and I suspect CSOR will too.

As for domestic involvement, they have been involved in at least six incidents, two of which have involved native groups. One, I believe, was Ipperwash- the other was in BC somewhere. No, they weren't ACTIVELY involved in Ipperwash (eg, on teh front lines). Someone would have noticed a bunch of super-ninjas without unit markings walking around with bleeding-edge gear.

DE

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 09:33 PM
link   
And where do they train? In montreal! Why? Because the Quebec elections are coming and the PQ are going to win and ask for a referendum to separe from the Canada, thing that the US and Canada won't accept and occupy us. That's why!

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 12:02 AM
link   
What other cities do they train it? Has this happened in Montreal before? I am just curious.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 12:09 AM
link   
It is interesting to see that both the U.S. and Canada are doing
such similiar training at the same time.

Perhaps they decided to do a kind of joint training or something.

If there is anything nefarious begind it, I figure maybe the Canadian
ones are preparing in case the U.S. thinks it can invade, or something
like that.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I do believe this is generally a first, Justin.

Our helicopters are...skanky, for lack of a better word. Prone to falling out of the sky. And CSOR and JTF2 are extremely new as far as SPECOPS goes- JTF2 was founded in 1993, and CSOR has its very first intake of soldiers this year.

To my knowledge, this is the first major city this has occured in, though I seem to remember an exercize involving land forces along in Alberta last year. To be honest, I have trouble seeing a creditable threat from the Forces, just from the state of their gear. Land Forces, maybe. Credible threat, as far as equipment and training goes...but we're jsut about 'tapped out' as far as MOS Infantry goes. There's been talk of retraining half of Signals into Infantry to meet our requirements in Afghanistan.

DE

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 02:57 AM
link   
So far as I know, your political situation is not like ours. I did some surfing on Google, and I can't find much that suggests you folks are worried about activity from your government. That's a good thing. If you are correct, and your military is fumbling through these maneuvers, it seems less likely that your politicians are plotting anything untoward.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 07:57 AM
link   
An intersting article appears this morning in regards to the Canadian Government and how it has begun to question the activities of JTF2. What I found interesting is the reference to how JTF2 could be useed in "Domestic situations". What I did not know was their hand in "Counter terror " ops that used to be the domain of the RCMP

www.canada.com...

"Mr. Kenny said the committee is also concerned about issues regarding JTF2's use of lethal force in a domestic situation as well as whether JTF2 commandos have been "let out" to other organizations for missions."

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 08:09 AM
link   
They did a big urban exercise in Winnipeg in the summer, much to the annoyance of left-wingers everywhere.

link

I think the Canucks do this stuff because they don't have the custom build mock urban warfare centres the Americans and British do.

I live in Winnipeg and never real saw anything out of the ordinary - wouldn't have know it was going on, to be honest.

TD

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Okay, then. Still sounds to me like the Canadians don't have any of the hostile legislation in place that we're seeing in the States. This could mean that you have nothing to worry about for the time being.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Generally, except for the lack of self-defence legislation and draconian gun control...

As for JTF-2, every ounce of anonimity they get is another ounce of protection for them and their tradecraft. Want to know what they're up to, run for Chief of Defence Staff.

DE

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I think I will keep my current job. It has just been pointed out to me that my work is riding higher on the barnes and noble ranks just now. I'll take that as a sign that I'm supposed to be doing what keeps me busy just now.

top topics

join