It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man questioned and misses flight for speaking Tamil

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 06:33 AM
link   

A 32-year-old man speaking Tamil and some English about a sporting rivalry was questioned at Sea-Tac Airport and missed his flight Saturday because at least one person thought he was suspicious.

The Port of Seattle dispatched its police officers to investigate the case, which occurred Saturday around noon, said Bob Parker, airport spokesman. The Chicago man was preparing to board an American Airlines flight to Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport.

The man was speaking Tamil, a language largely used in India, Sri Lanka and Singapore, on his cell phone at the departure gate and on the aircraft. An off-duty airline employee heard the conversation and informed the flight crew.

The man also apparently said something in English about a sporting rivalry at his alma mater.

Parker said the man was cooperative and boarded a later flight to Texas. He told officials that he would not speak in a foreign language on his cell phone at an airport in the future.
Seattle PI

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Another case of 'flying while brown'. The worst part is how the ignorance of just one stranger can ruin so many lives. The government really needs some kind of outreach program to white people to educate them. Target there neighborhoods, NASCAR, pie-eating contests, I don't know, wherever white people hang out. Maybe give them some geography lessons. Just something to stop this racist, xenophobic, paranoia, being exhibited more and more everyday.

And why are white people so silent when something like this happens?

[edit on 3-10-2006 by curme]

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by curme

And why are white people so silent when something like this happens?

[edit on 3-10-2006 by curme]

Because this "white person" believes that while inconvenient for some, it's necessary to keep Muslim terrorists off passenger aircraft. I should point out that despite being a "white person" and despite the fact that I'm both a military AND airline pilot; I am on the "terrorist watch list" and have to go to the ticket counter every time I fly as a passenger. I'm on that list because some Islamic a-hole tried to use my name (wich is common like "Smith") to illegaly board an aircraft.

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   
The xenophobia is nurtured and encouraged by the goverment rather then attempts are made to moderate or stop it.

Its, imho, rather disgusting that this man now has to say "I won't speak another language in an airport in the US anymore".

Next time I goto the US, I'll deliberatly be calling all over the place, speaking in 15 different languages except english. Just to see if they'll do the same thing to a 6'1" blonde, blue/green eyed, 100% stereotypical whiteboy.

[edit on 3/10/06 by thematrix]

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   
the fact that your classifying this as a "white thing" is ridiculous....that is not denying ignorance

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Hey Freedom!

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Is it necessary to alienate all "non-whitish looking people" by assuming that they are a terrorist in disguise? Or that it's necessary to be suspicious of people speaking in other languages?

I pretty much agree with curme that there needs to be some method to educate the average joe about what is what. Instead of creating this sort of mental barrier between "us and them", which would result in only more problems, perhaps some assimilation?

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi
Hey Freedom!

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Is it necessary to alienate all "non-whitish looking people" by assuming that they are a terrorist in disguise? Or that it's necessary to be suspicious of people speaking in other languages?

The whole "brown-white" things is rediculous; especially when you consider that many Muslims are as "white" as you would find anywhere else. However; given that there still exists the desire, by a certain group of people, to kill thousands by airplanes the need for profiling continues to be a necessary part of the fight against terrorism. Besides; this guy didn't seem to mind too much.

new topics

top topics

join