It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain attacks Bush, Deceit and Hypocrisy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2006 @ 09:45 PM
link   
At the Tory conference in Bournemouth, Senator John McCain today launched what sounds at first glance like a stunning attack on his own party leadership.

blogs.guardian.co.uk
Senator John McCain may have been in Bournemouth phsyically, but his speech to today's Conservative party conference seemed to have a least one eye on the pending midterm elections in the US.

With little over five weeks to go before elections for the US Senate and House of Representatives, the man most likely to be the Republican candidate for the presidency in 2008 made two pointed references to affairs back home - attacking George Bush for being a big government conservative and seemingly being deceitful about the course of the war in Iraq.

Both times he accused Mr Bush - without naming him - of "hypocrisy".

"Conservatives came to office to reduce the size of government and enlarge the sphere of free and private initiative. But lately we have increased government in order to stay in office.

"And, soon, if we don't remember why we were elected we will have lost our office along with our principles, and leave a mountain of debt that our children's grandchildren will suffer from long after we have departed this earth. Because, my friends, hypocrisy is the most obvious of sins, and the people will punish it."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

From the little I know about the man, I have to confess I like him. He sounds like everything a conservative party would look for in it's leader, especially in a time of war. One can only wonder what would have happened had he won a leadership bid in 2000.

[edit on 1-10-2006 by TaupeDragon]

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   
And so the rats begin abandoning the sinking ship. While I also like John McCain I would not vote for him....his politics are too right for me. Also the way he compromised himself by snuggling up to Bush to get in good with the party, after the obscenities of the South Carolina 2000 primary. If he had as much intergrity as is credited him he would have told Bush and his team to sit on it and rotate.

For those whose memory doesn't go back so far, groups "associated" with team Bush released mailers suggesting McCain's adopted Bangledeshi daughter was actually the product of an affair with a prostitute. When Bush was pressed on it he said that it was terrible, but never renounced it either, so it could be said McCain was the first victim of swift-boating.

[edit on 5-10-2006 by grover]

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I like John McCain. I hope he doesn't start sounding too much like he's runnng for 2008. I know he will .. but this is obvious that he's trying to put distance between himself and the lame duck president.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   
mccain could be the absolute best guy for the job

but as much as i hate to say it, unless the current adminstration delivers osamas head on a pike just before the elections, our next president will be a democrat.

this doesnt make me a republican, or a neocon, it just means that i disagree with a lot of the democratic parties ideals more tahn i disagree with most of the republican parties ideals.

doesnt change that unless something drastic happens i think our next president will be a democrat.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   
McCain in a fence sitter- i've always said so. Who's calling the kettle black?

Although i agree with his statements now, i still dont trust a man who jumps on whichever side of the fence is most convenient at the time. One could say he's a hypocrit himself.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
...i still dont trust a man who jumps on whichever side of the fence is most convenient at the time.

I have to agree with that. I don't mind a man who votes his conscience and finds himself out of step with his colleagues, but McCain too often seems to be oppositional for its own sake, or perhaps, his own sake. I feel the same way about Bill Richardson, who if you haven't heard of him, you will eventually.

new topics

top topics

join