It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

System Abusers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 11:47 PM
link   
So there I am, napping on the stretcher in the back of the rig. Jackie, my partner, is sitting in the driver's seat, reading.

The radio goes off.

"Four-six-one."
"Four-six-one," I say, waking up. I'm grumpy.

"Four-six-one, ten-eighteen from post thirty-eight. Start emergency to the area of Tenth and Western. Priority one on a fall, six year-old female."
I repeat the address. We kick off, lights and siren. Jackie's on the air horn, getting idiot drivers out of the way.
I glove up. Broken leg? Compound fracture? Gunshot wound? Bicycle spoke impaled through leg?

We pull up to Tenth and Western, and see a middle-aged black woman leading her six year-old daughter - who, I notice, is barely even limping - out to the street. We meet her at the sidewalk as we step out of the truck.

"What's going on?" I ask.
"My girl dun fell offa her bike." Mom says, pointing to her daughter's left leg.
"Okay, let's see," I say as I kneel to check out her leg. A single abrasion - not even bleeding. "She'll be fine," I tell the mother.

"Nah, she might have her some dat internal bleedin'. Take us to the hospital." she says.

I argue with the woman for a minute, trying to convince her that her daughter is not in any danger of a medical emergency, and that it's only $7 for a taxi ride to the hospital. It doesn't matter to her that an ambulance run is $400 - she doesn't intend on paying it. I lose the argument, transport the mother and daughter to the nearest hospital.

On the way, I hear four-six-seven dispatched to a Signal 82 (Injury Accident) at I-240 and Western: post thirty eight, where we were when this abuser of the system decided to call nine-one-one for a scraped knee.

:bnghd:

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Well, what in your opinion is the solution to all this? I mean I know people with no insurance or means use the ER and ambulance services to get any and all ails fixed. Of course some people actually do need this, but in this case I think the persons mentality comes into play that they were raised to think this way.

Either way, all this causes the costs to climb for everyone because a lot of people don't pay for medical services, so just what in your opinion is the solution?

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 01:00 AM
link   
It's something I've thought about. I still don't have a good answer to the problem. Except maybe throw folks like this out the side door of the rig on the interstate, so we DO have a reason to transport.

It's almost as frustrating as being called an "ambulance driver." Gah.

Some cities have tried different ideas that are good in theory, but suck arse in practice. Gah. Just dunno.

Just about the only thing I can think of would be harsher legal ramifications for folks who call in BS for a free trip to the hospital.

I'm a friggin' taxi, some days.

[edit on 29-9-2006 by LOBO]

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Hi Lobo,
I feel my own embarrassment all over again. One evening in the dead of winter I smelled smoke and saw a faint haze in our hall way.

I called 911 ordered the Hubby out of the house, took the essentials and our pets and ran to our neighbors.
Within 5 min. the Fire Engines where here.

They did a perfect job, all that had happened was our furnace had died, leaving a trail of smoke. I was still so ashamed to have disturbed them that I cried. Yes

What I want to say is we are not all like the adventure "Gold-diggers"
WIS

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by WalkInSilence
Hi Lobo,
I feel my own embarrassment all over again. One evening in the dead of winter I smelled smoke and saw a faint haze in our hall way.

I called 911 ordered the Hubby out of the house, took the essentials and our pets and ran to our neighbors.
Within 5 min. the Fire Engines where here.

They did a perfect job, all that had happened was our furnace had died, leaving a trail of smoke. I was still so ashamed to have disturbed them that I cried. Yes

What I want to say is we are not all like the adventure "Gold-diggers"
WIS

Fire hazards are a bit of a different animal. Scraped knees are common-place, and they're not medical emergencies - not even close. You did everything right; just about the only thing you could have done different would have been to do your own investigation to see if you could find the source of the smoke, and determine if a fire had started - though I'd recommend against that, also. Plenty folks get killed that way.

By comparison, what this woman did would be like you calling the fire department because you knicked yourself with a lit cigarette.

posted on Oct, 1 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by LOBO
By comparison, what this woman did would be like you calling the fire department because you knicked yourself with a lit cigarette.

Thank You, that made me laugh

Wouldn't this type of behaviour primarily be seen in low wealth communities?
WIS

posted on Oct, 1 2006 @ 08:40 PM
link   
System Abusers would be the ones who are calling in prank calls IMO.

People who genuinly feel they are in need of help are abusing nothing. They are looking for the help that you are entrusted to provide. Why does it effect you if she pays the bill or not?

I can't help but wonder why you felt obligated to announce the color of her skin.

Would you of said she was white if she were?

I've never heard a story beginning with a middle-aged white person.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Yeah, it's the cost of the socio-economic system now. Some people are forced to call 911. I've heard stories of that being people's only choice. Since most jobs offer limited oppuritinites and insurance plans. Unless your a college or University grad, the oppuritunities are limited in the healthcare arena.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Lobo, are you required to take people? What I mean is, you felt that it was an abuse to take this person, could you have refused?
Also, you said its $400 dollars for the ambulance, will she be billed it?

Originally posted by usaforever
Yeah, it's the cost of the socio-economic system now. Some people are forced to call 911. I've heard stories of that being people's only choice. Since most jobs offer limited oppuritinites and insurance plans.

That has nothing to do with getting emergency medical treatment. This woman used the ambulance to take her to the hospital emergency room. She should've taken herself there.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Lobo, are you required to take people? What I mean is, you felt that it was an abuse to take this person, could you have refused?
Also, you said its $400 dollars for the ambulance, will she be billed it?

In some states, at least here in West Virginia, the paramedics are not required to take somebody to the hospital. This is if it is not anything serious, like a broken arm or such. If it is any thing serious, the medics/emts have final say. It is against the law for any first responder to refuse to give anyone treatment if they need it. If this lady has insurance, her insurance compan will be billed the four hundred smackaroos for the ride. If the lady does not have any insurance, she will have to pay the four hundred bucks, plus tax and equipment fees, herself out of her pocket.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   
If the para medics have checked the girl over and knew she was in no danger then they should have not taken her to Hospital. I have at the moment a fractured left wrist, a catheter through an open abdominal wound, in a lot of pain and off to Hospital tomorrow under my own steam. And the persons colour has nothing to do with this issue, it implies only black people do this.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Hang in there Lobo. You are the first one at the seen of real tragic events and the last to get thanked so thank you for your good work my friend. I get frustrated at my job but I will remember yours and calm down when it happens again. Thank God for good people like you that will endure that kind of work....

join