It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are the Oddfellows left out?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 11:49 PM
link   
They have a lodge down the street from my house, but I dont know anything regarding practical teachings, rituals etc

Is there supposed to be a conspiracy to every sect? I think not, some Freemasons are actually not at all evil, and most likely dont know the true intentions of their hierarchys.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Seems like the Odd Fellow community is active here in Norway.

www.oddfellow.no...

I remember a churchlike buildning in my birthtown when i was younger.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I notice on occasion the three interlocking circles of the Oddfellows on old buildings in a lot of small cities. They always seem to be borded up and not used anymore. It would almost seem the Odd Fellows are nearly extinct.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
This is interesting. I have a patch that I picked up at a swap meet many years ago. It has the words, "Dufflebags - We Never Sleep" with a cartoon picture of a duffle bag with arms and legs and a face, with one eye open. I've always assumed it was some sort of military item but even with my mad Google skills I haven't come up with a single reference that's anywhere close.

I did find references to Pinkerton Govt Services, whose original motto was "We Never Sleep", printed over their logo, "the unblinking eye" (which they still use today). (Source)

I also found this:

With a blurb about it being used by "Future Farmers".

Anyway, not to derail the thread, but whether related or not, does anyone know anything about the Dufflebags or that patch?

[edit on 10/12/2007 by Teratoma] (Formatting & punctuation)

[edit on 10/12/2007 by Teratoma]

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   
[edit on 18-10-2007 by ccclean]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by rotarychris7

Hi, I"m a member of a lodge of the IOOF in Pa. I just want to let everyone know that we're not trying to control government, and that we're not satanists...actually you must believe in some supreme being to be a member. There's nothing to be concerned about, we just visit the sick, relieve the distressed, bury the dead, and educate the orphan (our motto). It's actually a fun interesting brotherhood to belong too. I recommend if you ever get a chance to join, do so. It's a worth while endeavor, plus we're hurting for members anymore....and btw we're all not old....I'm 24

Thanks for reading,
Color Bearer, and Rep. to Harmony Lodge #86, Tamaqua, Pa
Brother Robert Francis

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I do not think the Oddfellows are in any way nefarious or part of the NWO, etc.

My limited impression is that they were formed as a kind of "poor-man's freemasonry," aimed more at physical laborers and manufacturers, etc.

In a town I spent some time in as a kid, there is a beautiful old IOOF hall. According to an old friend, there are only one or two aged members left. As far as I know these people really do good charitable work around the community.

If there is any "conspiracy" with the Oddfellows, it might have to do with all that old real eastate and nice old buildings. Who owns them? And as the organization dwindles, who will have claim to their property in dozens of small towns and cities?

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by rotarychris7
It is very obvious that the Freemason fraternity is the subject of many conspiracy theories. My question to the ATS community is how come conspiracies concerning the Oddfellows don't exist, at least on this board. Like Freemasonry they have degrees, rituals, esoteric knowledge, and a philanthropic front. Why is it this groups seems to operate under that radar of conspiracy nuts?

Id like to note, that I am in full support of both organisations and believe that they do nothing except mold great men, help the community, and spark further spiritual enlightenment.

I would just like to offer a discussion about a secret society other than the A&AFM, and see if any of you ATSers have any knowledge of the Oddfellows.

[edit on 28-9-2006 by rotarychris7]

correction, the oddfellows have nop esoteric knowledge in the way the masons do. i know and have talked to too many OF's to know better. yet i am still petitioning the oddfellows for membership

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I'm an Odd Fellow (and a Mason). In it's hay day around the 1920's, Odd Fellow membership greatly exceeded that of Free Masonry in this country, and if you do a little digging you'll see that a great many prominent Americans including politicians were Odd Fellows. Did you know that the Odd Fellows is the only fraternal group allowed to lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington National Cemetery? It was by an act of Congress when former President Franklin D. Roosevelt, an Odd Fellow, requested a law be set in place so that the Odd Fellows would be able to hold this historic event.

The event annual event held on the first Sunday in May, which this year was May 5, 2012, and marked the 79th anniversary of the wreath laying ceremony. Currently, world wide membership is around 600,000.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I would say that the Odd Fellows fly under the radar because they lack the numbers of the Masons. Its not even close. In my state, nearly every city of 2500+ people has a Masonic lodge - there are hundreds, if not thousands of lodges, yet maybe 1-2 dozen Odd Fellow lodges.

I know of one town about 100 miles/160 km to the East, of about 8500 people that has a large Odd Fellow lodge, possibly bigger than the Masonic Lodge. In cases like this, my guess would be that the Odd Fellows was established in the town before the Masonic Lodge.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Zhenyghi

Haha! I know one thing, I don't drive down the street and see business owner flaunting oddfellow symbology in my face. Nor do I turn on the TV and see celebrities flashing oddfellow swag. I don't see a dangerous New World Order busting at the seams throught the fabric of society with Oddfellows at the helm. Come to think of it, I've been on the receiving end of countless insults and attacks...not a one of them have been oddfellows!

These are pretty obvious reasons why no one gives them the time of day.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Just my opinion, but I don't think I'd want to be known as an ODD Fellow, and yes, I know the original meaning of the name. Still, it just sounds strange, dare I say, odd to say to oneself or others, "Hi! I'm an Odd Fellow!". Yes, yes you are...

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
my grandfather was a member. my mother told me that that made us members. but I do not know "what or anything about this society that we are apart of"? How does this order work? the only thing she told me that is if were to get into any kind of serious trouble that i could mention her fathers name? I am not sure how this works? I know you probably wouldn't know him by name but perhaps you could fill me in on how to contact in my area. not that I am in any trouble but it would be nice to know i would finally be accepted as apart of someone's family. my mama wasn't married to my father or even had a real relationship with him after i was born. so i was only raised by three women. and so forth my story goes on and on. but how can i learn more about this group being she says you can only be a member if you are blood related to one who is or was a member, or maybe she said that we could only be buried into the oddfellow cemetery for that reason? Please Help!! a reply to: mumzly

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Hmm, interesting, something I'd spent last day or so looking into.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I am an Oddfellow out of Century Lodge 492 in Carpentersville, Illinois. We are a charitable organization. Aiding the elderly the orphans and the common man. My Lodge is 114 years old as is the build in we have our meetings in. 20 or so years ago my lodge was almost defunct because of lack of members, like the previous post mentioned of the Michigan lodges. One of the men that were in charge at the time told his Brothers of a few younger men he wanted to bring around, these men were of the biker variety (no motorcycle club affiliations) just independent riders. These men joined and and got their friends involved. Since then we have rebuilt not only our lodge but many other lodges in our state.
I don't see a way to post a picture of my lodge. Sorry if there is one and I missed it.
I am sorry to hear that he Michigan lodges are not doing well. I do know other lodges through out the world are thriving.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: rotarychris7
My grandfather and father were odd fellows, would love to learn more about them.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Cndymntm492

awesome that they made a comeback, our lodge closed years ago.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
oh this topic is old

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: rotarychris7

And the Rebekah's for that matter!

I love IOOF artwork and collect Oddfellows and Rebekah trinkets, there's an antique store in town that has tons of it.

FLT!

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
The local Odd Fellows' Lodge in recent years has closed and been reactivated. It looks like the Odd Fellows (or at least this jurisdiction) allows members to join and be officers along with the men.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join