It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bird Thought To Be Extinct Sighted

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   
The Ivory Billed Woodpecker was once thought to be extinct. Although researchers in the remote swamps of north west Florida claim to have seen this bird. The researchers published the findings in Canada's Avian Conservation and Ecology Journal. However the researchers failed to obtain a photograph of the illusive bird, which means there is still no evidence that the Woodpecker is not extinct. A researcher first claimed to have seen the bird in eastern Arkansas in 2004. The last confirmed sighting was in 1944.

abcnews.go.com
The bird was thought to be extinct until 2004 when Cornell University researchers released recordings and an inconclusive grainy video after searching for it in the swamps of eastern Arkansas. The last confirmed ivory-billed sighting was in 1944.

Auburn ornithologist Geoffrey Hill headed the four-month Florida search that ended in April. He said his team would return to the Choctawhatchee River basin sometime around November with better equipment to try to get photographs.

"On 41 occasions different team members have seen the bird. We heard that double knock, it's a sound the ivory-billed makes that no other bird makes, but we didn't get a clear video of the bird," Hill said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

When an animal thought to be extinct for over fifty years has been sighted that is kind of important to those who like natural even a little bit. Since the researchers from Auburn University failed to obtain a photograph now the race will be on to be the person who gets the first photograph. That will be the holy grail for ornithologists. The article does mention that there was a grainy video from 2004 that was insufficient to verify the illusive Woodpecker. People will be skeptical until the clear evidence is obtained.

Related News Links:
www.thestar.com
www.iht.com
news.nationalgeographic.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
The Ivory Billed Woodpecker
Ivory Billed Woodpecker Back From Extinction! (moved from ATSNN)

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 12:20 PM
link   
There is actually a book about searching for the ivory bill called search for the holy grail, or something like.
I was goofing off at work when I first ran across this news.
I swear I teared up and had to stop myself from crying.
Yeah, a bit or an over reaction, maybe, but it was like there might be some hope for us after all.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 12:49 PM
link   
While it does sound a little sketchy, the idea of a creature that we thought was extinct NOT being extinct sounds amazing. I hope they find more on this.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Isn't this rather old? I heard about this a few months ago. At any rate if true it helps support the idea that extinct beasts can be erroneously classified as such.
Ceolacanth, ceolacanth, ceolacanth!

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   
The only way to tell if a species is extinct is to investigate the number of sightings of a species over a given time period (and that there no specimens of the species exist in captivity). But I think that for some species, such as birds, small mammals etc, it is entirely possible for there to be a few specimens in the wild that have not been seen by humans (and remember, the species would have to be seen by a human that would recognize the species) for very long periods of time, so the extinction label would be incorrect, as it appears to be in this case.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Oh I agree. I think the key phrase then would be believed to be extinct..

Help me out guys, I am ready for bed, and my brain isn't working. There was a show on Cable, a bunch of cryptos looking for proof that this or that was real.. There was a guy and a girl, and a talking head old man who tried to sound scarey, but came off as very annoying..
You all know what show I am talking about..

Anyway, they were to Ozland looking for the Tazzy Tiger, and because of so many reports about scat being dog scat, they decided to test the testing lab, and sent in tiger feces.
And the report came back it was dog feces.
The concusion was that they were either very incompetant, or covering something up. Does anyone know of a follow up to this? A new thread could be started, I suppose. I don't want to hijack this one.

The point that I was trying to make, is the Tazzy is believed to be extinct, BELIEVED, but there have been sightings by many many people over the years, some very poor pictures taken, a film of something that COULD have been one ect ect..
However, There COULD be Tazzy;'s out there. The placxe is large enough, and sparcely populated enough that enough of the Tazzys could have hid.. I mean these arepeditors, and one doesn't get to be the apex predotior, (before the ancestors of the dingos arrived) without being smart.
With some creatures, extinction is a certainty, the dodo, the stellar sea cow..
I still hold out hope for the passenger pigeon, I mean, really, who could tell one from the ordinary winged rat? And didn't they rediscover the quagga? Or was I dreaming that?
And I believe there are Tazzys out there as well. That we could rediscover the Ivory Bill is a miracle in of itself, and like I said, makes me feel like there s hope.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Thanks for the insightfull post.
I am sory, however, that I can not offer anything in return.
I did not see the show.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I found it.
The show was called Animal X. Here is a link that give a brief synopsis of that episode. However it doesn't mention the report on the feces.

Animal X

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   
What got my attention is the blurb that this, thought to be extinct bird,
was 'spotted' and heard 41 times!!

reminds me of those Elvis sightings phenomena

either these diehards are overwhelmed with wishfull thinking
or something
or else it could be the same kinda thing where a stain on the wall resembles
the Christ on the cross....eyewitness accounts are often terribly whack

also, any photo or even video, would have a gauntlet of tests to determine IF
the image is anywhere near being, say 25% authentic/untouched/CGI'd/ and even
then the image would not be unconditionally accepted as 'Proof' Un-deniable!

interesting times, wot

Originally posted by RedGolem
The Ivory Billed Woodpecker was once thought to be extinct.

abcnews.go.com

"On 41 occasions different team members have seen the bird. We heard that double knock, it's a sound the ivory-billed makes that no other bird makes, but we didn't get a clear video of the bird," Hill said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 04:53 PM
link   
After the bird was rediscovered, they went into the area with a team to try to get cnclusive proof. That is what they are referring to.
It is all in this book

top topics

join