It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Approves Multiyear F-22A Procurement But Not Foreign Sales

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 12:46 PM
link   
The US has given the go ahead for a multi year procurment of the F-22A Raptor. However, it has also decided to not allow foreign sales of the air superiority aircraft at this time. This comes on the heels of a previously announced decision to consider such sales. TO be honest, the only nations that would be allowed to buy the a/c were going to be the Australians, Japan, and the UK. Of these three, only the Japanese appeared to be able to afford the a/c. Its too bad as foreign sales would allow possible a reduction in the airframes staggering cost and lead to possible more US airframes.

Congressional defense appropriators have agreed to allow a multiyear contract for F-22A Raptor procurement, but decided against allowing foreign sales of the futuristic fighter after considering otherwise.

Their conference agreement includes authority for a multiyear procurement of 60 F-22A aircraft, beginning with 20 fully funded aircraft in fiscal 2007, according to the legislation's report in the Congres-sional Record.

F-22A

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Fred thanks for posting this article, several things I want to comment on.

First I'm glad that they passed the multi year contract the USAF wanted, it will not only save money but it ensures F-22 production until at least past 09. And I'm also glad that they held the ban on foreign sales, it's too early IMO to consider such a thing when we don't even have all of our fighters yet. I am in favor of making a 'downgraded' version of the F-22 available to Aus, Japan and UK, but only after we get all of our jets. If any orders come in the F-22 line can be prolonged because of that, which in turn might open the door for more USAF F-22's (which they want badly). But perhaps the below quoted scenario could also help us out, hopefully it does.

The reported 12-to-14-month acquisition delay in Navy and Marine Corps JSFs would help extend the F-22 production line and could lead to the purchase of even more Raptors than those approved by the Pentagon, analysts say (DAILY, Aug. 23).

And the final thing that I think is key here is the money approved and the statement made in favor of upgrading F-15C's that will go to the ANG with AN/APG-63 AESA radars. So far only good news coming out of that article.

Finally, the conference deal provides $72 million to buy and install Advanced Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radars for the Air National Guard F-15C fleet only. Appropriators said they "strongly encouraged" the DOD to develop a plan for keeping the F-15 inventory updated with current technologies for its expected active service life.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Its worth to read about that USAF is now currently installing the AESA radar for flight test in coming months and it is expect to meet or possiblity excced all expectations. I keeps wondering, will USAF ever decide to go further to improve F-15's performance... To put F119 (F-22's engines) into F-15? If so, that one thing for sure, F-22 and F-15 combo are force to be reckon with and only few air forces around the world will have guts to go up against these jets. USAF isn't ready to see F-22 with other air forces' markings on it because if defense congress would decide to go ahead to sell it to other countires, then USAF will already make proposals to study and develop new jet better than F-22. Its not worth it for now. Maybe in 10-20 years, we'll see new prototype jet to virtually replace entire fighting force except for F-22 and F-35.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
I am in favor of making a 'downgraded' version of the F-22 available to Aus, Japan and UK, but only after we get all of our jets.

i'm sorry but why would the UK want 'downgraded' version of the f-22 when have the typhoon to do that job
*PLUS* theres debates as to which is the better fighter with the typhoon and a FULLY functional f-22, so we don't need a downgraded anything!

besides the UK is already being dragged into that jsf-lightingII project (whatever its now called)
britain should have just stuck to what we know best and going for a navalised eurofighter (typhoon)

[edit on 27-9-2006 by Sepiroth]

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sepiroth
i'm sorry but why would the UK want 'downgraded' version of the f-22 when have the typhoon to do that job

I word my posts within reason, I said "make available", I did not say however that the UK was interested in purchasing some.

Originally posted by Sepiroth
*PLUS* theres debates as to which is the better fighter with the typhoon and a FULLY functional f-22, so we don't need a downgraded anything!

No there is not, any such debate is quite frankly retarded, the F-22 is a superior aircraft, it offers performance and combat capabilities the Typhoon simply cannot. Again I did not say that you "need" it, just stating my views on the matter.

[edit on 27-9-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 04:31 AM
link   
And once again wetspoint ignores things when he feals like it *blinded by the flag* is so true to you - CAPTOR is reported to be able to track Raptor at useful ranges - so it IS a case of the 2 are evenly matched - why do you think teh results of the fly off between teh 2 types is kept so hush hush? They don`t want the world knowing how good other aircraft really are.

btw , your old enough now , so when ARE you joining the military?

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   

And once again wetspoint ignores things when he feals like it *blinded by the flag* is so true to you - CAPTOR is reported to be able to track Raptor at useful ranges -

Actually you're the one wrapped up in the flag, where did you get this spectacular claim from? Because I have news for you, the Typhoon has NEVER flown against a Raptor, not once. Please, spare me the articles and rumors, been there done that. Any claims about the CAPTOR's performance against the F-22 are mere speculation, if not wishful thinking.

so it IS a case of the 2 are evenly matched - why do you think teh results of the fly off between teh 2 types is kept so hush hush? They don`t want the world knowing how good other aircraft really are.

No it is not, not by a long shot, and once again there has never been a fly off, they have never faced each other.

[edit on 28-9-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
And once again wetspoint ignores things when he feals like it *blinded by the flag* is so true to you - CAPTOR is reported to be able to track Raptor at useful ranges - so it IS a case of the 2 are evenly matched - why do you think teh results of the fly off between teh 2 types is kept so hush hush? They don`t want the world knowing how good other aircraft really are.

LOL! In what parameter of airframe performance does the Typhoon match the Raptor? Seriously, even EADS themselves puts the Typhoon under the Raptor. :lol

new topics

top topics

join