It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Are "Christians" So Anti-New Age?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

Originally posted by dbrandt

I have a question and I want a specific answer. Why are "christians" so anti-New Age?

Because the beliefs of the new age do not match what the Bible says is the truth.

Or at least the churches' interpretation of what the bible says is the truth.

Which church are you talking about? If it's the RC, then you're correct. A lot of churches (which don't even consider themselves 'Protestant' anymore) have gone back to the truths in the Bible.

What I'd like to know, is what do you think the church has got wrong?

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 09:15 AM
link   
The whole antithesis against the 'new age' is in conflict with what the NT says about this present age and the age to come...

THIS age is the EVIL age...the NEW age will be the perfected and peaceful AGE....

To seek after the NEW age is to seek after the kingdom of God manifested among and withing man as is promised both in the OT and the NT.

And whosoever speaks a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaks against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.
~Matthew 12:32

But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life.
~Mark 10:30

Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
~Ephesians 1:21

Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.
~Ephesians 3:21

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
~Ephesians 6:12

Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.
~Titus 2:12-15

And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
~Hebrews 6:5

All these verses mention the world but it should be 'aeon' or 'age.' The 'world to come' is the 'coming age' and that can only be assumed to be a NEW one since this one is going to 'wax old like a garment.'

Now - that has nothing to do with theologies and doctrines, et al. The only doctrine that really matters is Love Your Neighbor As Yourself, anyway (at least to me)...

BUT it does point out one very alarming and undeniable fact about the majority of mainstream, church-going, preacher-believing christians: that all it takes is a little dose of negative propaganda - even just two little words - about something that, if pushed with enough convincing piety from the pulpit (and agreed upon on in books and TV, etc) can cover and condemn anything at all deemed threatening to the dissolution of the reliable weekly payments of tithes and offerings (which GOD does NOT need, BTW)...and keep people, in FEAR, from investigating for themselves (that fear also belies the insistent claims of trusting God - if one trusts God then why fear to tread anywhere?) and causing most to 'believe a lie.'

You think the lie is outside the church, or perhaps hasn't even been born yet....the truth is that the modern day version of the church IS the lie. And it's got more fooled than you think.

'New age' according to the bible version doesn't require church or preachers or tithing or loyalty to group doctrines...all it requires is a few simple things - done on one's own they are far more effective (this I know to be true without question) and the HOLY spirit doesn't need anything at all to tell it where to go....it goes were it wants and where it goes, confusion and strife and division is NOT.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Why?

Fear. People cant handle the truth.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
Where do your beliefs veer from traditional Christian beliefs and or teachings?

1. I believe in reincarnation
2. I do not believe in hell-fire.
3. I think the only redeemable thing from the Old Testament is the Ten Commandments.
4. I do not believe in the literal "end of the world". Instead, I believe in the "end of the age".
5. I do not believe that there will be a rapture.

Et cetera,et cetera.

Well, you got one out of five...............You are improving

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Queen,you hit the proverbial nail on the head. Religons,not exclusively Christianity, always lash out at things they view asa threat to its power. Islam labeled the sufis "heretics;" the Jews have demonized the Kabbalah;Christianity labeled and wickedly tried to exterminate gnostics and the cathars; the hindus developed caste systems for those who they thought were a threat.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Queen,you hit the proverbial nail on the head. Religons,not exclusively Christianity, always lash out at things they view asa threat to its power. Islam labeled the sufis "heretics;" the Jews have demonized the Kabbalah;Christianity labeled and wickedly tried to exterminate gnostics and the cathars; the hindus developed caste systems for those who they thought were a threat.

Since Hindus believe ALL paths to Brahman [God] are valid, they are not threatened by any power struggle. Actually, I wish they would as I'm sick to death of all this missionary coercion that's going on in India. As far as caste, the original Vedic system was to ensure the society worked together. It was not intended to be the "determined by birth" systen that has perverted from its original intent. So it is not a religious doing but a social one.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Brahman was Abraham....Sarah's husband...what is the name for her in the Hindu?

Many patriarchs are now part of the ONE LIVING God....many religions honor one or more of the patriarchs, individually....in the end it doesn't matter if it is the father of the religion or your actual father....

a tie that is familiar, that we can FEEL as we do the people we know in the flesh in the here and now...that is our silver cord to God and the way in which we 'connect' in the fashion that leads to true spiritual growth...

Christianity is truly one of the few, if not only, that stultifies the soul's natural means to seek Spirit (such as open mindedness and reincarnation and also works for the benefit of all - actually discouraging it by making it contraindicated for salvation!) by PRESSING upon its followers certain unchangeable guidelines and enforces it with the very same mortal fear that religion should serve to relieve.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38
Brahman was Abraham....Sarah's husband...what is the name for her in the Hindu?

Actually it's the other way around since the Vedas predate the OT by quite a few thousand years. The first sound uttered OM..interesting that 'amen' is a derivative of it....

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Well, I am not sure of how things came to pass...you know more of that, certainly...

My only point being that the origin of Hindu (which I do know is very old) is related to Abraham...

Who was here in times before we have estimated - at the beginning of Egypt...but Abraham fathered the population at his time - he is Patriarch of our race, the human race...

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimboman
What about why he died? Do you believe it was to take away the sin of the world?

Why else would he have died? As far as I know that was his whole purpose in coming,was it not?

The purpose was teaching by example. He showed us the way, but we all ignore it, thinking that he was here to relieve us of the responsibility of "sins". We are responsible for our own actions, and we shall be held accountable, he died to make an example. That example was love and forgive all, no matter what they do to you or others, if he had not died in the way that is known in the bible, but had died of natural causes, do think there would be as many christians today? There is no stronger way to get your message out than to die for your cause, and yet the majority of people still don't understand what he was about.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by HarpStrings

......Point is; I don't think the term 'New Age' is hated in so much as the possibility of what it stands for.

What do you think?

People are often afraid of change and being wrong. If we enter a "new age", then people's beliefs will most likely change, they are scared. They also don't want to find out that they are believing in the wrong things (I'm not saying that christans are, i just mean people in general, although many "christians" aren't true followers of jesus and his word). If you are all nice and cozy with your beliefs, would you want the world to change and end up proving that you were wrong the whole time?

Basically, they don't like it because they are afraid.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by 7Pan7cho7

I'd say that is true to an extent. However, not everyone can be right. It is quite obvious to me, just looking at the world today that Jews, Christians and Muslims certainly are not right. All they are trying to do is have their version of the apocalypse...

So many don't even realize what the word apocalypse actually means...It does not mean "end of the world." It means the revealing.... What doers the apocalypse reveal? The TRUTH. All scripture, no matter the faith has references to the TRUTH being revealed eventually. It doesn't say that the TRUTH will be believed, but it does say that the TRUTH will be revealed...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by 7Pan7cho7

We dont like it because our Bible tells us not to believe it.

<< 1   >>

join