It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Are "Christians" So Anti-New Age?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Let me state here from the outset that I am a Christian in the sense that I do believe in Jesus Christ. However, the link between myself and most "christians" ends there. I suppose that most people would label me a "new age" Christian.

I have a question and I want a specific answer. Why are "christians" so anti-New Age? How is it that a belief system that only speaks of love,peace and harmony is considered "evil" by,I'd say 60-70 percent of "christians"? Yet, I don't see New Agers starting a crusade to spread their beliefs and put people under submission like the "christians" and Muslims are currently doing.

So I ask, who is really the "evil" ones?

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Where do your beliefs veer from traditional Christian beliefs and or teachings?

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard

1. I believe in reincarnation
2. I do not believe in hell-fire.
3. I think the only redeemable thing from the Old Testament is the Ten Commandments.
4. I do not believe in the literal "end of the world". Instead, I believe in the "end of the age".
5. I do not believe that there will be a rapture.

Et cetera,et cetera.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
2. I do not believe in hell-fire.
3. I think the only redeemable thing from the Old Testament is the Ten Commandments.
4. I do not believe in the literal "end of the world". Instead, I believe in the "end of the age".

Et cetera,et cetera.

Do you believe Jesus was crucified, died for the sins of the world and rose again from the dead? That's the definition of a christian as far as I'm aware.

1. What evidence do you have for re-incarnation?
2. Hell isn't a fiery pit, it's separation from God.
3. The 10 commandments (the 'law') is a good moral basis for living, but it doesn't get you anywhere. No-one can keep the law, which is why Jesus had to die. 'For all have fallen short of the glory of God...' Faith, not works, is the key. If you have faith you'll do God works, but works don't replace faith.
4. The world won't end. God will come down to dwell with men, though some will be separated from him (see 2.)
5. I agree. The rapture was an 19th century invention and isn't Biblical.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimboman
Do you believe Jesus was crucified, died for the sins of the world and rose again from the dead? That's the definition of a christian as far as I'm aware.

2. Hell isn't a fiery pit, it's separation from God.
3. The 10 commandments (the 'law') is a good moral basis for living, but it doesn't get you anywhere. No-one can keep the law, which is why Jesus had to die. 'For all have fallen short of the glory of God...' Faith, not works, is the key. If you have faith you'll do God works, but works don't replace faith.
4. The world won't end. God will come down to dwell with men, though some will be separated from him (see 2.)
5. I agree. The rapture was an 19th century invention and isn't Biblical.

Ummm,for the most part it would seem that you and I agree. Yes,I believe that Jesus rose from the dead. I also think that if there is a "hell" it would be separation from God rather than a "fiery pit" that our spirit burns in forever.

Reincarnation is really a matter of belief.While there are some things such as past -life regression that seems to suggest that we have had previous lives, there is not any definitive proof. It's more of a matter of faith.

4. The world won't end. God will come down to dwell with men,

Pretty much what I believe as well. I don't see any big discrepancy between our beliefs other than that about Reincarnation.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I am not christian nor new ager.

crystal power for the suck.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
I am not christian nor new ager.

crystal power for the suck.

Ok....

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Yes,I believe that Jesus rose from the dead.

What about why he died? Do you believe it was to take away the sin of the world?

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Not all Christians think alike and much of this New Age nonsense is anything but about love and peace. The UN speaks of a NEW AGE also, but I will not be attending the coming arrival of the Great King whom they so want to present to us all.

No, to those people I say "do get a life" and a good day to you, sir.

[edit on 29-9-2006 by Cinosamitna]

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cinosamitna
No, to those people I say "do get a life" and a good day to you, sir.

[edit on 29-9-2006 by Cinosamitna]

Yeah,maybe I will while "peace" loving "christians" and muslims destroy our world.

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimboman
What about why he died? Do you believe it was to take away the sin of the world?

Why else would he have died? As far as I know that was his whole purpose in coming,was it not?

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 10:20 AM
link   

There is plenty of evidence for reincarnation now if you want to argue over weather or not its proof is another thing.

www.healthsystem.virginia.edu...
www.brianweiss.com...
www.johnemackinstitute.org...
www.cfpf.org.uk...
www.victorzammit.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 10:31 AM
link   
If you think about it, the term new age was coined many years ago for those hippy type folk or those crystal wearing people or those musicians who produced symphonic sounds with an array of instruments...etc etc

Today However: the term new age has come to mean a spectrum of things to different people. I am like you, a Christian in the sense that I too beleive Jesus to be the Messiah now and forever. What I've found is that some Christians dislike the term "New-Age" because they symbolize it as the coming of Anti-Christ, this preplexes me too, but none the less, there must be a valid explaination for this. I think some people look at it as a "dawning of a new age" when people will fall from grace or something..

Point is; I don't think the term 'New Age' is hated in so much as the possibility of what it stands for.

What do you think?

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard

I also think God can do anything He wants to, and that sometimes He may indeed send (or allow) people to come back for a reason.

I'm pretty close to agreeing with you on that. In fact, I was just thinking that this morning. Strange, huh?

Most Christians reject the rapture myth. It is unscriptural and rejected by all of the 2 billion christians except for a relative handful of fundamentalists - mostly in the southern part of the USA

EDITED to add - Most Christians are anti-new age because there are quotes in the bible about staying away from the occult, witchcraft, soothsayers ... etc.

[edit on 9/29/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by HarpStrings
If you think about it, the term new age was coined many years ago for those hippy type folk or those crystal wearing people or those musicians who produced symphonic sounds with an array of instruments...etc etc

Today However: the term new age has come to mean a spectrum of things to different people. I am like you, a Christian in the sense that I too beleive Jesus to be the Messiah now and forever. What I've found is that some Christians dislike the term "New-Age" because they symbolize it as the coming of Anti-Christ, this preplexes me too, but none the less, there must be a valid explaination for this. I think some people look at it as a "dawning of a new age" when people will fall from grace or something..

Point is; I don't think the term 'New Age' is hated in so much as the possibility of what it stands for.

What do you think?

Well,see, that's the dileema. I don't think that most "christians" really know what it stands for. They know what their preachers have told them. They know that most "New Agers" believe a lot differently than they do, and you and I both know that in the world of "christendom" that anyone who believe differently than they do is the "spawn of Satan".:shk:

"New Age" is really not new at all. Most of the belief systems of the "new age" movement predate Christianity. I don't buy into all of the "new age" stuff, but a lot of it has merit, which is what some "christians" say is "dangerous" about it.

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
[

EDITED to add - Most Christians are anti-new age because there are quotes in the bible about staying away from the occult, witchcraft, soothsayers ... etc.

[edit on 9/29/2006 by FlyersFan]

Something needs to be clarified about that... The witchcraft and such back then was not the same as it is today... "Witchcraft" back then is the same thing that our pharmaceutical companies do today, making "medicines" that only make us sicker than what the disease that it's supposed to alleviate does. "Witches" were what we would term "druggists" today.

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   

"New Age" is really not new at all. Most of the belief systems of the "new age" movement predate Christianity. I don't buy into all of the "new age" stuff, but a lot of it has merit, which is what some "christians" say is "dangerous" about it.

The true Christians will be able to recognize the imposter when he arrives. The true Christ comes as the Logos, in the spirit - not in the flesh. What exactly are the UN and other such groups planning to do with such an imposter? How many will accept Shamael as Jesus?

This is something which both the so-called "New Agers" and "non-New Agers" must be able to identify, along with those forces which are beneath the surface.

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cinosamitna

The true Christians will be able to recognize the imposter when he arrives. The true Christ comes as the Logos, in the spirit - not in the flesh. What exactly are the UN and other such groups planning to do with such an imposter? How many will accept Shamael as Jesus?

This is something which both the so-called "New Agers" and "non-New Agers" must be able to identify, along with those forces which are beneath the surface.

You are correct in saying that. There is a faction of "new agers" at the U.N that is proclaiming Moon,founder of the Moonies, to be the messiah. Do not be deceived. He is not the Avatar. There will be a world dictator,commonly known as the anti-Christ, who will announce that he brings a "new age". The "new age" that he will claim to bring forth will not be the one that real New Agers are waiting for.

Cino, I think that what you are trying to get me to realize, and believe me I do, is that not all "new agers" are good...Just like there are pretenders in the Christian world, there are also pretenders in the world of the "New Age". I acept that as a fact.

In the early 1990s, there was indeed an infiltration of satanism in the New Age movement, so,it is true,as you suggest,Cino, that one should be careful what he/she believes when it comes from the mouth of some "new agers".

[edit on 29-9-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

[edit on 29-9-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 04:00 PM
link   

I have a question and I want a specific answer. Why are "christians" so anti-New Age?

Because the beliefs of the new age do not match what the Bible says is the truth.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbrandt

I have a question and I want a specific answer. Why are "christians" so anti-New Age?

Because the beliefs of the new age do not match what the Bible says is the truth.

Or at least the churches' interpretation of what the bible says is the truth.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join