It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ownership of Rottweilers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Do you not believe that their should be a law that restricts such dangerous "pets" being sold to irresponsible owners, At least more stringent ones. At the weekend here in the UK a poor baby was snatched from a pram by one of these dogs as they were aloud to freely roam a courtyard,the baby was torn apart, I got interested and done a search for rottweiler maulings...and I was really surprised to see the amount of attacks by these dogs which come completely unprovoked. The thing is thye make great guard-dogs and in the right "responsible" hands they can be great pets.
The thing is they are the pets of choice of alot of SCUM, Drug dealers in particular. I am not calling every Rottweiler owner or any dangerous "pet" owner irresponsible or a drug dealer I am just saying I believe that their should be more care taken when handing these potentially deadly animals over to "people".

They seem to have a knack of just turning on you.

LInk 1

Leicester baby death

4 year-old attack

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Dogs of damn near any breed can be lethal. Sometimes it's just something wrong with the animal BUT it's usually how the OWNER trains them. Hold the owner accountable for the actions of the animal.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Right, I show dogs and I know a awful lot about them - the breed just has a bad name as people buy them for thier 'macho image' and train them in that way.

I have a golden retriever - the sort of breed familys with young children would have i right??
... If anyone came near me and my dog could tell I wasn't comfortable he would go crazy. He acts as much of a guard dog as you would expect from the steriotypical rottie.

Once I was walking him late at night, two men drove past very slowly, two or three times staring at me. They stopped and got out the car and started to come towards me.. The dog at this point went MENTAL at them and then dragged me the whole way home at a sprint. He was only a puppy then.

Dogs have guarding instincts. They are such loyal creatures they will would do anything to protect thier owners and territory.

Now obviously we don't know exactly what happened, but would you be saying the same if a labrador did this? I think not. I wish people would stop putting these images on dogs. I know rottweilers who would probaly roll over for a tummy rub if a burglar came in!!

Rottweilers were used as guard dogs way back to the roman times, It's just in thier nature and it is the owners choice wether to use that in training or not.

They seem to have a knack of just turning on you.

They would most likely never turn on you (as a owner) Only when they feel threatend would they attack.

Blue.

P.s.. with this one maybe the dogs had never met a baby... How do they know it's a sweet innocent little baby, not a monster who's about to kill all thier family?...

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 04:36 PM
link   

P.s.. with this one maybe the dogs had never met a baby... How do they know it's a sweet innocent little baby, not a monster who's about to kill all thier family?...

Yeah right be serious, if your sure of dogs ability to sense danger then why did it feel threatened by a 16 month old baby! The fact is this type of dog can turn on you, in any circumstance. especially in the hands of irresponsible owners.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   
We've had dogs for a long long time and been involved in various dog related activities. In my opinion, personality is a breedable trait.

There are a number of breeds of dogs that I would never allow anywhere near me or my dogs. Those breeds are just plain violent. Of course, you'll have numerous people swear that they've had that breed all their lives and the dogs that turn on people are just trained bad by theri owners.

If you look the statistics on dog attacks that kill people you'll find that it's a relatively small number of breeds.

Read it then you can blame who ever you want.Dog bite stats

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Any dog can bite and most dogs could hurt or kill a small baby. I am firmly against any breed bans. However, I wouldn't be opposed to specialty training, education and even licensing of dog owners.

And I also would support the owners paying dearly when their dogs bite someone.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by marcopolo
Yeah right be serious, if your sure of dogs ability to sense danger then why did it feel threatened by a 16 month old baby! The fact is this type of dog can turn on you, in any circumstance. especially in the hands of irresponsible owners.

It was on it's territory. All the dogs know is there is a unknown thing that could possibly harm thier family. there instinct is to protect.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 06:33 PM
link   
A few years ago a child was bitten by a rotthweiler here in belgium, it was all over the news.

The dog had never done anyone wrong and people that knew the dog said it was very docile and sweet.

The police had the animal put down almost immediatly after getting to the scene.

2 problems with this scenario that almost noone knows and that the press didn't make public after all the "big dogs are evil and dangerous".

First would be the fact that the owners and parents of this child left this kid alone in the backyard for hours, with a dog thats probably 4 or 5 times the kids weight.

Second is, upon closer inspection, they found that the dog had an entire clip of staples in its ear!

It allowed for the kid to snap over 30 staples in its ears before it retaliated! Is that a bad dog?????????????????? Try see how much staples the kid would be able to snap into your ears before you'd hit it over the head.

You can trust dogs quite well, even the ones that are known to be dangerous.

Its children you can't trust for 5 seconds and you can be damn sure they'll "play" with the dog with methods that the CIA would even dare to use Gitmo.

Don't blame the child though, they are like that, thats why you aren't responsible for your own actions untill your 18 or 21 years old.

Its this kids parents that did something they shouldn't have and its entirely their fault. The dog should have been taken away, but not killed and the parents should ahve been put in jail for being iresponsible idiots.

[edit on 26/9/06 by thematrix]

[edit on 26/9/06 by thematrix]

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Rottweilers are puppy dogs. You should realize that you don't understand dogs at all.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 11:29 AM
link   

You should realize that you don't understand dogs at all.

Maybe so, I have never owned a dog so I wont pretend I do but my point is their should be more stringent laws on owning a "Dangerous animal", by that I mean any animal that is known to be aggressive in nature, Rottweilers as stereotypical "guard-dogs" fit that bill do they not?

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Any dog can be aggressive. Most probably, most dogs that bite were not properly socialized as puppies. Many purebred dogs such as Rotties, German Shepherds, Pitbulls, were rescued as adults from unknown circumstances. Therefore their past isn't known. ANY dog whose past is unknown should be assumed to be potentially dangerous, especially to small children. That's not to say that they are, but it's a possibility and should be treated as such.

Children can be strange and threatening creatures to dogs who haven't been properly socialized around them. If they've never seen a child before, a dog can think its owner or himself is in danger from this 'creature'.

Dogs and children many times do not mix. Even if a dog is raised around certain children, he can see other children as a threat.

Don't feel badly. Many people think along the same uneducated lines that you do. It's important that people like the other posters here do what we can to educate the public about dog ownership.

Rottweilers are considered guard dogs, yes, but in that capacity, they guard what's theirs. Their home, their people. That's their job. That doesn't mean they're aggressive. Aggression is another issue altogether.

In the story, the mother, holding a strange (to the dog) creature in her arms, bent over the dog! Wrong! Very wrong thing to do. I can't speak to the other issue with the Maltese, but if that was the case, then they knew this dog wasn't safe with small dogs (or other small creatures) and should have treated it as such.

It's sad and terrible, and I feel for the family, but it happens so much that people should be getting a clue that dogs are bigger than babies and if not properly socialized, can be frightened by children.

It's the people at fault, not the dog. They're just doing what they're bred to do. If people don't know how to care for dogs and want a teddy bear, they should get a teddy bear.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Dogs of damn near any breed can be lethal. Sometimes it's just something wrong with the animal BUT it's usually how the OWNER trains them. Hold the owner accountable for the actions of the animal.

I was attacked by a dog no bigger than the average male foot and let me tell you, I was afraid.

Also I agree with you interpid, dogs or animals of any kind should not fall into the hands of ignorant people who do not bother to train/teach their animals appropriate behavior. This should be a prerequisite for all potential animal owners.

Very sad story by the way and completely preventable.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I am happy to see people aren't putting a ban on various breeds.
Common education is the answer. People in general are arrogantly ignorant of canine behaviour. I find it appalling.
Dogs or any other domesticated animal deserve to be handled with respect for their special traits.
People think they can treat a dog a horse a bird as humans and are amazed that they don't react in a pleasant manner.
Humans are so arrogant.
I am training a new puppy at the moment he is a smaller breed, with definite Alpha behaviour. Every one thinks he is soooooo cute. He is a good boy and will one day be a rescue dog. But what I am saying here is people look at him and go: "OOOOH let's play isn't he a darling when he jumps all over me" " Oh let the poor puppy play"
I have to socialize him, but it is vary hard to do surrounded by stupid people.
I have trained "Rotties", German Shepherds before, my now Jack Russell is the greatest challenge.

WIS

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 07:21 PM
link   

posted by Wildbob77

" . . had dogs a long time been involved in dog related activities. In my opinion, personality is a breedable trait. There are breeds of dogs that I would never allow near me or my dogs. Those breeds are just plain violent. Of course, you'll have people swear they've had that breed all their lives and the dogs that turn on people are just trained [to be] bad by their owners. If you look the statistics on dog attacks that kill people you'll find that it's a relatively small number of breeds. Edited by Don W]

As a young person - 4 or 5 years old - I was threatened by a Chow. Since I was 7 or 8 I have had dogs - well, my mother had dogs and I played with them - the only dog that ever bit me was a 8-10 pound mutt that was about 9-10 years old. I had her for 6 years but the kennel did not know her age as she was found apparently abandoned. I tried to take a “found” chicken bone out of her mouth and she bit me. No skin breaker, but it hurt. I live near my sister who has a Doberman rottweiler - Dobby rottie - with the Rottweiler head and Doberman back-end. 90 pounds. He was born at my sister’s house and has been neutered. I can give him treats and even take food our of his mouth with no fear or kick-back from the dog. He is gentle.

If I were to have a newborn in my house, would I keep him? No. I’d never keep a dog after bringing in a child. To me that is just common sense. I know there are many places where dogs are still used in fighting. Dog fights are frequently held in places where the local traditions favor that as a “sport.” That along with cock fighting is still around. People who own 4 or 5 dogs of the fighting breeds should be . . . regulated? . . . criminalized? . . it is hard to say, but I don’t like it. I would have no hesitancy to say they should be neutered. The dogs, not the people.

[edit on 9/27/2006 by donwhite]

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
And it's not just dogs.
It's human behaviour around them, and all animals.
Some are emboldened, some become fearful..and either of the two can be dangerous.

But look what happens to the attitude of squirrels, when fed , over the years by "well meaning", but ignorant, people.

Gettin Squirrely

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   
A little info about Rotties:

How are they with children?

A properly bred Rottweiler who receives adequate socialization and
training
will generally get along fine with children, but tolerance
will vary from dog to dog. He must be taught early on what is
acceptable behavior and what is not, as should the child. Because of
their large size and inherent desire to "herd", Rottweilers should
always be supervised around children. A minor "bump" can cause serious
injury to a small child. Also, some Rottweilers have a high degree of
"prey" drive (the instinct to chase moving objects), therefore should
never be left alone with children, who naturally will want to run and
play. Some breeders recommend waiting until the children are at least
school age before introducing a Rottweiler into the home. The amount
of space in your home, the age of your children and the amount of time
the dog will be in contact with the children should be part of your
decision.

Are they vicious?

A properly bred, socialized and trained Rottweiler is not inherently
vicious. The rapid rise in popularity of the breed has attracted many
irresponsible breeders who are only interested in making a profit, and
don't care what damage is done to the breed in the process.

Questions about Rotties

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   
my friend has had 2 "rotties", axl and damien.

Axl was raised as a house pet. I met him when he was 2 weeks old. He grew into a 125 lb gigantic lovepuddle. when I came over, he would chase me and tackle me, and I would rub his belly.
we used to roughhouse all the time. axl had a very gentle way of holding my arms and hands in his mouth so he would never hurt me, even as I was punching his head or ribs. He made extremely fierce sounds, but he was just loving it. My children loved him, he was thier personal superhero. nobody ever messes with you when you have a 125 lb rotty friend. I trusted him with my babies, and he never, ever betrayed that trust.

damien was raised as an employee, a guard dog. he was only 90 lbs, but I was terrified of him. the look in his eyes was 180 degrees opposite of axl. one time, a tree fell near my friends dad, the one who raised damien, and the dog attacked the tree. he bit huge chunks out of the tree. I wouldn't let my worst enemy near that dog

don't hate the breed, its usually how they were raised

d1k

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I have a 130lbs purebred rotty (the runt of the litter fyi) and he is the most loving calm, mellow, tame, what ever you may call it, dog you would ever meet. He does nothing but love everyone he meets because he is so loved by everyone in our home.

I think there are 2 major factors to any dog attacking.

One. How they are treated by their owners.

Two. Their intelligence. Dumb people do dumb things and im sure it's the same with animals

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   

The rapid rise in popularity of the breed has attracted many irresponsible breeders who are only interested in making a profit, and
don't care what damage is done to the breed in the process.

thats my point, shouldnt their be more consideration took when handing over the ownership of these animals.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 11:19 AM
link   
animal bans wont solve the problem, only hurt it. Education and liscencing is the only good answer. The main problem is the availitbilty of animals to anyone. if more people were forced to buy from a breeder alot of this wouldnt happen. In all honesty many good breeders wont sell to just anyone. But i do believe that people should learn about pet handeling and pet awareness before just buying any animal.
I have numerous pets, from large dogs to a flying squirrel. All in all though, I have found the most stable pets to be mutts. they seem more easygoing, longer life span, and in general healthier (both mentaly and physically).

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join