It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China will get carrier soon

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by mel1962

Originally posted by cyberdude78
Unless they can get the Russains to help them out with it. I'd imagine the Ruskies know a thing or two about carrier flying. Maybe not enough to make them very combat effective, but surely enough to get the Chinese Navy started. Every country needs to start somewhere, it's not as if the USN suddenly had carriers with trained pilots.

Its more than the pilots which take a minimum of 5 to 10 years, the firefighting, the carrier tactics. The Russians only had 2 carriers and had poor training, only in the USN can you get the proper training. The only other nation with such training was the JEN during WWII.

I think you'l find the Fleet Air Arm of the British Navy have a long and distinguished history of carrier based flying, we may not have the resources of the US Navy but we certainly have equal skills

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I think it is great that China is getting a carrier! It will be amusing to see them learn all the lessons of serious carrier warfare that took the US about 70 years to perfect. Their hardware (being inferior) will combine with their experience level (also inferior) to make some spetacular failures, from either operations or combat, a certainty. Besides, China's new carrier will make some really nice coral reafs after any future conflict with the West.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   
On a separate note India is to hold naval exercises in the far east with Russia in 2007-08..
I've heard rumors of possible exercises with the JMSDF as well.
The IN is setting its sights on projecting influence into the Pacific?

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hiphar
I think it is great that China is getting a carrier! It will be amusing to see them learn all the lessons of serious carrier warfare that took the US about 70 years to perfect. Their hardware (being inferior) will combine with their experience level (also inferior) to make some spetacular failures, from either operations or combat, a certainty. Besides, China's new carrier will make some really nice coral reafs after any future conflict with the West.

Give them about 20 years and we'll see who's laughing if it ever comes down to war. Although the west may have the lead now, things can change pretty quickly if we simply go on with an attitude like that. Underestimating your opponent is one of the worst mistakes that you can possibly make, so I think it'd be wise to take China seriously as a potential threat within 20 years.

Just because they're inexperienced now doesn't mean they can't get experienced. And simply because their hardware is inferior now doesn't mean they can't improve on it. They've got over a billion citizens, and I'd be willing to bet that at least a handful of them are smart enough to figure out what we've figured out if you give them some time.

So today the lead might be ours, but if we go underestimating our rivals then we're almost certain to lose the lead tomorrow.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
The IN is setting its sights on projecting influence into the Pacific?

I see it more as a move by the IN to make sure it can operate in the Pacific or cooperate with other powers in that region if need be. Currently their main goal is the Indian Ocean. Although there could come a time in the future where they have both the means and the desire to project relatively significant power in the Pacific.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 02:53 AM
link   
No matter how many peope are armed or how many new weapones are equiped, the most important fact is that everything we did is for peaceful ourself defense and not offensive capabilities.
And your must know that our race and culture is very different form West. We love peace for 5000 years, and this ideology has been to our blood for 5000years.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Tell that to the Tibetans.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 01:03 AM
link   
What does this have to do with a carrier?!!
-__-

The moralities of nations acheiving even regional dominance, forget SuperPowerdom, are all meant for the trash bin..

SuperPowerdom != Moral Non-Alignment

Lets not be hypocritcal about that..

Again a carrier would serve as an offensive platform, even though it maybe used to protect shipping lanes etc..

top topics

<< 1   >>

join