It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volpe Signing up the Dead for the Liberal Party

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Volpe vows to keep running despite allegations

Haunted by yet another scandal, Joe Volpe said Monday that he'll continue in the Liberal leadership race despite new allegations that his camp signed up party members who were already dead.

"I'm staying in the race to win the leadership and to form the next government," Volpe told an Ottawa news conference Monday.

As he left the conference, Volpe was heckled by two protesters dressed as ghosts, one carrying a sign that read "Volpe has spirits."

The Toronto Star reported Saturday that the Volpe camp had allegedly paid the $10 membership fee for at least nine party members it signed up in Montreal. The report also alleged that two new Liberal members signed up in Montreal were dead and several had been signed up without their knowledge.

CTV.ca Source

So it appears he has been busted on signing up members for his party who have been deceased for some time. To top it all off he is continuing in the race.

What had a bigger reaction, the Liberals frustration or the Conservatives joy?

Volpe's response was Why would he sign up deceased members who could not come at vote at election time? (Doesn't really make sence) So it has been labelled as a smear attempt by his rivals. (Which does make sence)

My biggest problem with this is the damage control method Volpe has chosen. He has turned it into a racial issue. Since he is Italian-Canadian, he feels these smear campaigns are racially motivated.

Ahhh! Say it ain't so Joe!

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Joe Volpe is an idiot and should just drop out of the race. Between this and taking donations from 11 year-old twins and a 14 year-old who just happen to have parents on the Board of a major pharmaceutical company, Apotex, he doesn't have a chance.

Of course, neither of these things are his fault.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
Of course, neither of these things are his fault.

Certainly! Anyone who would point the finger at Joe would be just.. ahhh.. uhhh..

The Liberal party is sinking quick. They really could use some positive PR but they continue to do everything wrong.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Poor Joe Volpe. Not only does he have to deal with these new allegations, but now he has Alfonso Gagliano supporting him.

In Montreal, disgraced former Liberal minister Alfonso Gagliano, the central figure in the sponsorship scandal that dragged down the party, backed up Volpe.

"I felt the same thing," Gagliano told reporters at his book launch. "There is a pattern here ... another good Italian-Canadian who is trying to get to the top of the Liberal party and we want to bring him down."

Toronto Star

If I were Joe Volpe, I would call Gagliano and ask him not to talk about me. The last thing Volpe needs at this point is to have his name associated with Gagliano's.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   
The liberals and their supporters deserve to be in the dog house and stay there for a long time for the damage they did to Canada.

Volpe is just an old boy liberal and he can't understand the difference between that and corruption.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 09:01 PM
link   
The Liberals really need to grasp why they lost the election. Running all the same people isn't going to give the voting public the the impression that they have changed.

The Conservatives would have to screw up pretty big-time for the Liberals to win a majority for a while. The Liberal party should to take this time to rebuild, refocus and clean house.

The 'old boys' need to go.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Yeah this is a time for the Liberals to clean house and come back with new faces and a new look.

I'm surprised how little they have done to separate themselves from the amount of bad press they have recieved over the last few years.

It's a good time to be a Conservative.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Look up Joe's relatives... "trunk of a car" stuff out Airport road way - go way back. Look at the Commisso links, the Bannano links.... Sheila Copps has some nifty opinions of him too... the "Sheila's campaign office gets hacked" story... Montreal - Hamilton - NYC. The Gagliano bit fits too. Old-school, old-world stuff.

When Joey "The Knife" took his first run at the "deal" were there not similar allegations of "vapor-votes-from-beyond" during that shuffle of the Libs too?

Victor K.

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Yep his name and ol' Gaglianno's in the same sentence prettymuch screams MOB CORRUPTION. Alfonso there still hasn't explained why he was seen at Bonnano crime syndicate dinners to my or anyone else's satisfaction.

Again, to boil it down:

Gaglianno=mobster

Money=gone

Martin= clueless

I'll bet most of the money went straight to New York and Chicago. I mean, I had family involved in the rum trade way back, and I know a few distaff uncles definitely had Liberal help getting into positions or import or otherwise helping them bootleg. This isn't something new, just before no one cared.

DE

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 04:40 PM
link   
The Liberal party has fined Volpe $20,000.

Pfft, that's nothing. He only needs to get 4 rich high-school kids to donate their allowance. Joe inspires children to get involved with Canadian politics. That's why he is the best man for Prime Minister of Canada.

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 05:11 PM
link   
This is a farce. twenty grand?

Isn't this fraud?

Jeez. Bad enough that there's a pretty good chance that the mob got our money and took it stateside or made it vanish, but now one of their cronies has played the race card when he was caught commiting electoral fraud. Hooray for our severe justice system!

DE

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 05:26 PM
link   
They spill that much before the noon news. Super-Weekend oughta' be a blast. "Death-Rae" and "Iggy" were on the same school news paper back when "Chez-Helene" was kids-fare. Two-sided or a darkhorse on a third ballot? Left-Left or Right-Left... I remember Stanfield and the Banana... and Trudeau-mania - is this on policy or personality or photo-geniality? I got Rae in two ballots if it is on anything but bucks. Who would reperesent a "change of the guard" more in the public eye? Policy - who needs policy? What a show 20K$.

Now the Mayoral race in TO...

That's entertainment!

Victor K.

38'

[edit on 29-9-2006 by V Kaminski]

posted on Oct, 1 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Volpe's not doing very well at superweekend. He's currently in 6th (out of 8) with only 4.6%.

Damn those dead people! Volpe's camp goes to all the trouble of signing them up and paying their membership fees, the least the dead people could do is show up and vote. :shk:

posted on Oct, 1 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Reminds me of the Simpsons, when Sideshow Bob runs for mayor.

"Oh my God, the dead have risen and are voting Liberal!"

DE

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 10:34 AM
link   
"Sideshow Bob" aka "Joe The Knife" Volpe is in trouble again... seems seven of his Super-Weekend "workers" are on THE PUBLIC FREAKIN' PAYROLL in the form of a federally funded "Non-Profit" organization.
The Crown might not be too amused, either.
One can only hope.

THIS IS WHAT'S NOT NEEDED BY ANY CANADIAN! ILLEGAL! No penalty box for you. Out of the game! No multi-game suspension. You're off the team, not benched gone, out of the party... don't let the door hit you on your way out or on the way to JAIL.

Please forgive me for yelling in what should be a civil discussion about politics. However politics is civil in name only, hence one may need uncivilized nomenclature to accurately discuss uncivilized topical matter. That, and I'm disappointed. It will be explained as a book-keeping thing or some such confabulation of paper and plausible deniability. RCMP, hello? Hi my name is Kaminski eh. Yes I'll hold. Uh, hi, yes Sir, I'd like to report a crime.

Here's a CBC online news piece.

Victor K.

43'

[edit on 16-10-2006 by V Kaminski]

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I just thinking it's kind of funny that it seems the U.S. is going to left to get rid of some of the people who were there too long and corrupt and Canada is going to right. Maybe soon the U.S. government will be more liberal than Canada's

[edit on 10/16/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   
The Liberal Party has decided to withdraw Joe Volpe's $20,000 fine for signing up the dead and only charge him the $1,000 it cost for him to file the appeal.

The appeals panel ruled that Mr. Volpe's campaign is still responsible for the code of conduct for failing to ensure control over the recruitment of members, but ruled there was no evidence that the payment of membership fees by volunteers amounted to improper spending by the campaign. They lifted the $20,000 fine, instead accepting the $1,000 cost his campaign paid to initiate the appeal as the financial penalty.

Liberal Party reduces Volpe fine

I'm really impressed with how hard the Liberal Party is cracking down on unethical behaviour.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Well with the Liberals, you know, its just about doing the right thing. I'm sure Joe learned his lesson, we can forgive and forget right?

How bad does it feel to be Brison or Findlay?

With everything that Volpe has done, he still managed to knock two others off. I think I would be offended or at least unsure of myself as a politician.

Now this is too much. We need to have a look at these mugshots of the potential candidates.

Creepy much? Is he smiling or cringing?

The two in the background concern me just as much as Brison here. Just one genuine smile. Just one!

Duhhh..........

Ken Dryden meets Grizzley Adams? Is he doing the L for Loser sign? Damnit you played for the Habs Ken! You almost had a vote!

I'm sorry but you just scare me.

Are you a tourist or a politician? At this point, does it even matter?

Oh..Oh..Oh... I'm sorry were you talking to me? ... Ehhh Ma!

I've got nothing.

...I see dead people

Had to!

Maybe intrepid was right. CBC is a tool of the sitting government.

top topics

join