It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Volpe vows to keep running despite allegations
Haunted by yet another scandal, Joe Volpe said Monday that he'll continue in the Liberal leadership race despite new allegations that his camp signed up party members who were already dead.
"I'm staying in the race to win the leadership and to form the next government," Volpe told an Ottawa news conference Monday.
As he left the conference, Volpe was heckled by two protesters dressed as ghosts, one carrying a sign that read "Volpe has spirits."
The Toronto Star reported Saturday that the Volpe camp had allegedly paid the $10 membership fee for at least nine party members it signed up in Montreal. The report also alleged that two new Liberal members signed up in Montreal were dead and several had been signed up without their knowledge.
Originally posted by Duzey
Of course, neither of these things are his fault.
In Montreal, disgraced former Liberal minister Alfonso Gagliano, the central figure in the sponsorship scandal that dragged down the party, backed up Volpe.
"I felt the same thing," Gagliano told reporters at his book launch. "There is a pattern here ... another good Italian-Canadian who is trying to get to the top of the Liberal party and we want to bring him down."
The appeals panel ruled that Mr. Volpe's campaign is still responsible for the code of conduct for failing to ensure control over the recruitment of members, but ruled there was no evidence that the payment of membership fees by volunteers amounted to improper spending by the campaign. They lifted the $20,000 fine, instead accepting the $1,000 cost his campaign paid to initiate the appeal as the financial penalty.
Liberal Party reduces Volpe fine