It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Law Suit on Tobacco, This Time a Duzy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 03:49 PM
link   
The Major Tobacco Companies may not be able to rebound from this suit, if in fact it ever comes to fruition. Asking for 20 to 200 BILLION Dollars in a class action suit against the Tobacco Companies, Lawyers content that the public was mislead as to the harmful effect of "Light Cigarettes."

www.nytimes.com
A federal judge in New York today gave class-action status to a lawsuit that poses a major new threat to the tobacco industry by asserting that tobacco companies purposely misled consumers by marketing “light” cigarettes as a safer alternative to regular cigarettes.
~~~~~~~
In the case, known by the name of the lead plaintiff, Barbara Schwab, lawyers for the plaintiffs argued that smokers were led to believe that light cigarettes, representing 45 percent of the market, were safer or less addictive than regular cigarettes, when the industry knew that was not so.
~~~~~~~
They have asked for $20 billion to $200 billion in damages. But if the case goes to trial and a jury decides against the cigarette makers, their liability could be much higher. The case was filed under the federal Racketeer Influenced Corrupt Organizations Act, which entitles plaintiffs to triple damages.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Lawsuits like this typically take years to resolve and I will assume the Tobacco Companies are not going to just roll over and admit defeat.

Before any smokers start looking for homes in Malibu, understand that in Class Action Suits, the vast majority of any monetary compensation goes to the lawyers. Hence their motivation for filing.

I personally have never had a cigarette forced into my mouth by any company. I also have known of the negative health effects of tobacco as long as I have been smoking. How is it some companies fault that I may or may not develop health issues related to smoking?

Related News Links:
www.tobacco.org
www.power-of-attorneys.com
www.bloomberg.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
politics.abovetopsecret.com...
Smoking doesn't cause cancer!

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I agree with you, In this moderen age everyone knows what tobacco will do to you.
Saying that don't release the tobacco co's, from blame for selling death.
I believe the law suits are bull# though. All of the money should go to the states, with the lawyers only getting a min. that would stop the lawsuits today.
Everyone has the right to choose to decide to kill themeselves if they want. But if we could rid ourselves of tobacco co's, things would be so much better for all.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Think what the health care system could do with that money.

Research
Technology

Semper

apc

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Well, the major tobacco companies started advertising campaigns to inform users that "Light" cigarettes are no safer than full flavor cigarettes. And those efforts began shortly after the last round of lawsuits.

So to me, this sounds like going back and carving out elements of the previous suits. If this were a criminal matter, it would be illegal for the prosecution to use that tactic. I don't know what the equivalent civil statute would be, but I would hope there is one.

It would be like OJ not only getting sued for wrongful death, but for assault too. Can't have both, since one is a really a requisit for the other.

So I don't see how this suit has merit as the original suits were over the entire scope of tobacco heath effects, with Light cigarettes included by default.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 12:54 AM
link   
They have asked for $20 billion to $200 billion in damages. But if the case goes to trial and a jury decides against the cigarette makers, their liability could be much higher. The case was filed under the federal Racketeer Influenced Corrupt Organizations Act, which entitles plaintiffs to triple damages.

leave it to the lawyers to figure out how to spin a false advertisement suit into an organised crime suit.(i'm pretty sure the poor shlubb lying in bed with lung cancer didn't think it up)lmao

maybe the tobacco industry should throw some vitamins into the mix of additives so they CAN make health claims about their product(everybody else is finding ways to avoid responsibility for their own actions ie:smoking)lol

just a rant lol

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 02:19 AM
link   
The tobacco companies should refuse to sell any of their product to any state that participates in this lawsuit.

That would shut them down quick, as most states depend on the high tax revenue recieved from tobacco.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 03:22 AM
link   
What a joke, this is extortion and blackmail at its best otherwise they would just eliminate tobaco all together.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Wasn't one of the stipulations in the first tobacco lawsuit that there would be no possible way to sue them again? I admit I am not educated on the whole tobacco conspiracy of where the money gained actually went, but part of the deal I believe that as long as big tobacco lived by the new rules, they wouldn't be sued again.

I know many old-school smokers who never got a dime from it. The actual victims never got anything out of it.

[edit on 26-9-2006 by ben91069]

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 07:06 AM
link   
This will lead to a growing tobacco black market. Then federal and state revenues will come from fines, property seizures, tax evasion, racketeering, etc. Slow grind into a new prohibition.

War on drugs/tobacco is big business too, and the little guys will always pay the most.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   
If I get pulled for Driving Under the Influence of Tobacco, I'm getting a Lawyer!

But you know that is the ultimate goal here, make it illegal too.

I mean they have had SOOOOOOO Much success with Narcotics????

Semper

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Ok ok if they win we should give the money to my campaign for President. I will imediately use that money to build a network of super laser satelites to knock down any ICBM's launched at our Assets. Then I will continue our campaign of force-feeding democracy, liberty, freedom down the throats of everyone in the world whether they like it or not.

Of course just giving the moey to the states definetly sounds like a good idea. I think this lawsuit is PERFECTLY VALID! Light cigarettes are exactly the same as regs, and they were marketed as otherwise. That makes people believe it may have even been ok to smoke around others, and the others may even have accepted it because they figured it was "light" and safer. FALSE!

Take their money, shut them down or force them to remove ALL the chemicals added to tobacco and sell it only raw. We will see how quickly and easily people will begin to quit after that. There will of course be some unfortunate withdrawl symptoms for millinos. Guess what though... MAN UP!

apc

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Most of those chemicals "added" to cigarettes aren't added at all... they are a product of nicotene oxidation.

And as I stated in my previous post, following the massive suits several years ago, the major companies started making it very clear that Light cigarettes were no safer.

Their liability on this issue ended there. This is going back and sueing them twice for the same thing.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Wow I just got a slap of reality. I always thought nicotine was added into tobacco. Thanks for the facts apc. Either way, I support a scorched Earth policy for any land growing tobacco, as well as coca plants and opium poppies

The best way to save society from the filth that destroys their bodies, mind and spirit is to destroy that filth and be sure they do not have to be exposed to it.

apc

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Who gets to define "filth"?

Educate the masses and let them decide for themselves.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Umm lets see, the drugs destroy your lung capacity, your physical endurance, can alter your cellular composition over time causing cancers, and even your mental capacity. So these things physically and mentally destroy your body... I think that qualifies as filth. Might as well be drinking poison, which is what one would do with alcohol.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
This is pure entertainment. So let me get this straight. You know the effects of cigarettes, you know the effects of second hand smoke. Maybe the morons filing the lawsuit were only expecting to get "light" cancer instead. Seriously shouldn't the courts be dealing with real problems instead of making more ambulance chasers rich.

brill

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Here we go! We're on our way to do away with trans-fats and cigarrettes. Not once, have i ever heard even a rumor about alcohol.

Intoxication kills. Lets do away with that first. What would the fat cat politicians do without a cigar or a cocktail in hand????? I'd like to know.

Turn to sex?

[edit on 27-9-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 09:15 PM
link   
DG!!!!

EXCELLENT

Loved that one..

Semper

apc

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   

DYepesUmm lets see, the drugs destroy your lung capacity, your physical endurance, can alter your cellular composition over time causing cancers, and even your mental capacity. So these things physically and mentally destroy your body... I think that qualifies as filth. Might as well be drinking poison, which is what one would do with alcohol.

Oxygen is pretty nasty as well. Too much of it can damage cellular mitochondria and may be linked to parkinsons.

Drinking too much water can cause electrolytic imbalance and can kill you.

Non-ergonomic keyboards can cause carpal tunnel.

By your logic, all of the above qualify as "filth".

I smoke a cigar on occasion. I smoke it for the effect of the nicotine. I enjoy it. As there is no way my taking that endulgance can harm another human being, I have every right to it. You have zero right to determine that I do not have that freedom, based on your opinion that it is "filth".

The real problem is addiction. Too much of anything can kill you. Consuming tobacco in moderation will not do any of what you have stated as your argument for "filth". Constant repeated exposure, like anything else, will.

The best way to save society from the filth that destroys their bodies, mind and spirit is to destroy that filth and be sure they do not have to be exposed to it.

So instead of shoving your nose into other people's lives and saying they can't do this and can't do that, how about educate them on why they shouldn't do this or that? Let people make their own decisions and live their own lives.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Hey Im all with you on that dg, I even made an example of that in my post. I have not touched alcohol since the age of 17 (now 20).

Wow kinda scary, I had my most drunken alcoholic years and quit all before even being legal to consume?

I am not putting my nose in anyones personal business. If I want to destroy filth to prevent the people I love from suffering the diseases of them thats my business. If you want to try and grow your own, fine by me. Cut out the mass production and the marketing to convince others their lives will be better with poison and things will be better.

Your examples are irrelevant. Oxygen and water are two essential things that almost every single form of life needs to well, live. PURE PURE oxygen, is what will kill you, and you can only be exposed to that in an unnatural controlled (or not) environment. The amount of water you would have to drink to destroy yourself would either have to be forced upon you, or you would need to be highly highly determined in committing suicide. I ONLY drink water milk and juice on a daily basis. I drink up to if not more than 1 gallon of water a day. Have been doing so since I quit drinking alcohol three years ago. I am not dead nor am I suffering debilitating helath affects.

Are you trying to tell me tobacco, alcohol, coc aine and heroin are essential for most forms of known life to exist?

[edit on 9/27/2006 by DYepes]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join