It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I being paranoid?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   
About 10 minutes ago I was visited at my front door by a pair of Mormons. I'm no fool, and know exactly what their aims were, but for some reason I decided to humour them and let them say their piece.

The guys were friendly but......weird, kind of spaced out. I am in the UK, but one guy was from Arizona, the other Norweigen. The were very calm and quietly spoken, but also vacant and somewhat unsettling.

Anyway, they gave me the usual spiel about Jesus, the Holy Ghost, whatever. I nodded my head at appropriate moments and stupidly answered a few personal questions about my life.

To cut a long story short, they gave me a copy of the Mormon book which I accepted (out of curiousity) and they said they are going to come back!!

I DON'T WANT THEM TO COME BACK! I'm all paranoid now that I've done something stupid....have I, or am I making a big deal out of nothing?

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Yes, you are being paranoid. But don't worry.

Mormons are required to travel and to go out to the people. The fact that they were from other places is common.

They gave you their book. I too have a copy - got it free from a TV commercial. When I got mine they said they'd send someone over to explain the book to me. I politely said that I'd rather read it myself first and that I'd contact them when and if I wanted anyone to explain things. They didn't call back and I never asked for anyone to come over.

If they come back just tell them that you want to read it and that when YOU are ready then YOU will call them. You just want some space and privacy reading it.

They are supposed to be a bit pushy. Most all religions are pushy when recruiting like that.

Don't worry. This is usual behavior for them. Nothing is wrong.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 03:21 PM
link   
That's the scary part FF, it's their normal behaviour. Any religion that spends time worrying about what other people believe is not a healthy religion.

Be afraid Delta!!

And watch the Mormon's episode of South Park, very funny.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I've had them at my door before, too. They're about as menacing as the Osmond family. They weren't pushy with me, at all. I talked to them for a few minutes, they thanked me and left. This was a couple of years ago.

Same with the Jehovah's Witnesses and the Watchtower publication. I get Baptists at the door occasionally, too to invite me to the church down the block.

There must be a "guy inside in dire need of spiritual help" aura around my house.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
If they come back just tell them that you want to read it and that when YOU are ready then YOU will call them. You just want some space and privacy reading it.

They are supposed to be a bit pushy. Most all religions are pushy when recruiting like that.

Don't worry. This is usual behavior for them. Nothing is wrong.

Thank you, I feel better - but still feel a bit awkward about being put in a situation where I have to 'Get rid' of someone -it's my fault they are coming back! The fact is,I felt sorry for them. I live on a pretty rough estate, they will have got some serious torment tonight I imagine. But I DO NOT want to join!

And Rasobasi, I agree with you - anyone who is willing to walk around strange, dark streets trying to convert others...

I will check out that South Park episode

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Well, they aren't actually supposed to be pushy at all. Theirs is more a program of attraction more than promotion. Sure, they go out and do their ministry by going door to door. But once you tell them you're not interested, they won't bother you again. Throughout all my life, I have had a number of Mormon friends and even lived in Salt Lake City for awhile. I always found them to be polite, hardworking, devoted to their religion, family and community and to have high integrity. Going door to door is required for I think 2 years, but taht is the only thing they do to "recruit". Otherwise, they might tell you they are Mormon, but they won't preach at you. THey do not try to force their beliefs on anyone.

No need to be afraid of them, they're really very nice folks, if a little different from other Christian religions.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Hi forestlady

Yes, they were certainly friendly -that was the problem, it made it too hard for me to just say 'no.'

I feel like I've made myself a target for them now -they know my name (I had my name tag for work on) and where I live, and are coming back to discuss the matter further when I have read the book.

I've just got to assert myself a bit better, I'm too damn soft

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Any religion that spends time worrying about what other people believe is not a healthy religion.

Oh sure. I agree with you. Absolutely.

But the author of this thread seemed afraid for himself. I'm just reasuring him that this is 'normal' behavior for them and they aren't going to come in the middle of the night and kidnap him or anything.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
But the author of this thread seemed afraid for himself. I'm just reasuring him that this is 'normal' behavior for them and they aren't going to come in the middle of the night and kidnap him or anything.

Maybe it's because I am a gurlie that I'm such a fraidy cat

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Delta Alter
Maybe it's because I am a gurlie that I'm such a fraidy cat

I'm a girl too.

Seriously .. the mormons ... nothing to be afraid of. UNLESS someone from the FLDS comes around. They are the ones that swap their kids and 'marry' off their 14 year old daughters to men who already have multiple wives. Pedophilia and child rape and abuse.

But they are really a different group from the LDS now.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   

About 10 minutes ago I was visited at my front door by a pair of Mormons. I'm no fool, and know exactly what their aims were, but for some reason I decided to humour them and let them say their piece.

Really?? I am interested in hearing what you think their agenda is. I am not a Mormon,but if you are going to make veiled references to some sinister plot by them, I'd like to hear what it is.By the way,I have never had a Mormon come to my door,plenty of "Jehovah's Witnesses" though.

[edit on 25-9-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Really?? I am interested in hearing what you think their agenda is. I am not a Mormon,but if you are going to make veiled references to some sinister plot by them, I'd like to hear what it is.By the way,I have never had a Mormon come to my door,plenty of "Jehovah's Witnesses" though.

I didn't get the 'sinister plot' vibe from the lady's statement. Not to speak for her, but I had the feeling she knew they were there to assimilate her.

I can understand her concern. Two men come to her door uninveted and ask a few personal questions. Taking the religous aspect out of it, that is still a hard pill for me to swallow.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by HankMcCoy[/idoor,plenty of "Jehovah's Witnesses"

I didn't get the 'sinister plot' vibe from the lady's statement. Not to speak for her, but I had the feeling she knew they were there to assimilate her.

Maybe that is all she meant. I hear so many accusations about so many different groups,usually false ones, that anytime someone says "I am aware of their agenda," to me, at least to some extent, that entails that you suspect them of something "shady".

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
[
Really?? I am interested in hearing what you think their agenda is. I am not a Mormon,but if you are going to make veiled references to some sinister plot by them, I'd like to hear what it is.

Not so much'Sinister Plot' more 'Extract Cash from and Brainwash Vulnerable People.'

Although I cannot deny that the above is part of the reason why I let them stay and talk - I was curious to see what their approach would be and how they would try and talk me into it.

I'm just a bit worried that I have encouraged them to mither me now, they probably think I am interested.

I made myself look a bit of a thicko by asking them if they lived together on a commune, but at least it raised a smile

And FlyersFan......
Paedophilia??

Rape??

Abuse??

You made me feel better before but now................

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Next time they come knocking, invite them in and light some candles, and have a picture of Lucifer on your coffee table, and while they talk to you, change your voice repeatedly and if you can do this:
they will leave and never come back.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Not so much'Sinister Plot' more 'Extract Cash from and Brainwash Vulnerable People.'

Brainwashing is something that has happened to all of us whether we want to admit it or not.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Next time they come knocking, invite them in and light some candles, and have a picture of Lucifer on your coffee table, and while they talk to you, change your voice repeatedly and if you can do this:
they will leave and never come back.

I have some records by a band called 'Deicide' (Left over from my misspent youth) which I believe translates as 'Killing God'

Should I stick them on as well??

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I have some records by a band called 'Deicide' (Left over from my misspent youth) which I believe translates as 'Killing God'

Should I stick them on as well??

Is it that you don't believe in God or are you just not big on organized religion? I personally have no doubt about there being a God, but I don't care too much for orthodox "organized" religion.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 07:22 AM
link   
First off...the fact I have an album by a band named 'Deicide' does not point towards any of my beliefs! I was just into Metal as a teenager, I didn't really pay any attention to the Satanic undertones.

My Mum is Jewish, my Dad is a Catholic, therefore I am a Mongrel who does not know what she believes in.

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Delta Alter,

Think of them as really boring magazine salesmen and blow them off. They are harmless, albiet, passionate about their "religion". But they are basically harmless.

Do not chide yourself for being patient and polite to them, but also do not allow yourself to be guilted or manipulated into participaring in something of which you have no interest.

These guys usually grow up to be really good salesmen because they hear "no" so often. Think of yourself as a training aide for these two. Get some enjoyment out of it and realize that they are growing and this is a darmic event. They are supposed to be at your door bugging you.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join