It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

getting past buffering, can it be done? Help!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I have dialup so slow it is pathetic, DSL is only offered via cable and I can't afford it. The phone company said it's coming to me but can't give me a date, which means never. LOL

Anyway I got my DIL to burn me the 911 mysteries but she did not realize she had to buffer it, neither of us knows what that means or does anyway. So even though it took her approx. 90 seconds to download it, when I put it in it after downloading google video, it started buffering, it said it would be over 24 hrs to finish buffering, yes I am serious.

So can I get past the buffering as in not doing it? If I have to, can I have someone with high speed buffer the cd or will it have to be buffered on my system for me to watch it on my computer? If these sound like really dumb questions I apoligize as I have no idea what buffering is? TIA

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Buffering just means that a certain amount of the video is preloaded to your computer cache before it starts playing, so that when you press play, you will have a "buffer" of already dowlnloaded material ahead of the play point so it won't stop and start. In the case of googlevideo, it will buffer the entire file unless you press play beforehand. It sounds like your "DIL" (not sure what that means) downloaded the googlevidplayer link rather than the whole video, which is what pressing the download button does (it used to download the whole file for you, but not anymore).

If you're on dial-up, then large videos like 911 Mysteries are pretty much "out of your league". You might want to try the Youtube version. It's broken into smaller parts which you can watch individually. Just open the relevant page and wait for the video to load up. If you use Firefox, you can also install the VideoDownloader extension which will allow you to download the files from Youtube to your computer.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Thanks, DIL means daughter-in-law, now I know what buffering means and it makes perfect sense the way you explained it. How can I tell her to download the actual movie since pressing download won't do it? She said she would try and download and this time buffer a copy again, will that do it? TIA

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Open the the googlevideo page which displays the video you want to download.

In the the info section on the right column of the page you will see a URL box. Copy the URL from there.

Go to this website=> javimoya.com...

Paste the URL into the provided space, select "googlevideo" frmo the drop down menu, and press the Download button.

After a few seconds, some more buttons will appear underneath. One of them will be for avi. format. Try first clicking the button to download the video, or if that doesn't work, right-click on the button and select "save link as" (or "save target as" depending on your browser).

Once it's downloaded, it should play in Windows Media PLayer.

If that doesn't work, try it again but download the .flv format file and install an FLV Player to watch it with.

HTH u&ur DIL

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Thanks so much I copied and pasted your directions in an email to her. I am hoping she will be able to get to it in a few days if not I'm putting this movie at the top of my birthday wishlist for hubby to purchase, early.

new topics

top topics

join