It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Digital Camouflage - Pixels

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 07:16 AM
link   
How many forces deploy the new digital camouflage?

Pictures would be nice.

Here is an examples in chinese service

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Finnish defense force will start using their new suits next year.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   
No idea but this will get you started-

www.tridentmilitary.com...

The jury is still out on the overall effectivness of 'digital' schemes vs. deliberate environmental camo, whether that be going civvy or crawling around in a ghillie or Thellie. The threat is getting a LOT smarter in terms of his availbale spectrum use and secondary detection methods as well.

No amount of camouflage will ever beat strict adherence to operational disciplines based on the 7 basic principles of C3D.

Similarly, no one in their right minds will attempt to be 'sneaky' when they are coming into a threat ops area where they have to assume they are under observation from the start. You lose more in demassing than you gain in detargeting.

Mobility beats Stealth in close range urban combat, if only because it brings with it armor, ammo and commo you otherwise might not have.

Robots are the key to the future of military infantry operations because they can be built low enough to the ground and quiet enough in motion to defeat most human search psychologies while retaining mobility, protection and fires advantages not available to an individual (4" thick composite plate on a robot's glacis is quite possible if that frontal arc is only 6" across...).

Robots will also be the first to employ powered scenematch camouflage for much the same reasons.

KPl.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN
Finnish defense force will start using their new suits next year.

is this the "desert" version ?

doesn't seem well suited for finnish forrests

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ch1466
Similarly, no one in their right minds will attempt to be 'sneaky' when they are coming into a threat ops area where they have to assume they are under observation from the start.

Exactly, that is why they send in the scouts, who are far from being "in their right minds".

When one uses proper counter intelligence & operation security, the challenge is not difficult. Consider methods of counter recon and all, it becomes more than just what the eye can see, or lack there of as it is.

There are those who have done and do such things, probably always will.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 04:12 AM
link   
i don't know how many around the world per se, but i do know that my little brother, who is currently stationed in iraq started using the digital camo this last summer. he doesn't appear to like it, according to him they are of inferior quality...getting ripped and the like more easily than the old camo. so as far as some of the american army goes, we're already using it....as for other branches in us military, i personally don't know.

hope that helps you

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 04:20 AM
link   
For good info on who has what, and any one who is anybody has digi, then check out this great source for decent info on the digital flage. Sure this has been mentioned before, but it wont hurt to recap, considering it hasn't been over talked yet. See other threads/topics in this forum.

Dual Texture Camouflage (Dual-Tex for short), is not a new revolutionary digital camouflage but at three decades old, these initial digital patterns were once used by the U.S. Army 2nd Armored Calvary Regiment in Europe from 1978-the early 1980’s (see photos on this page) were replaced when they adopted the standard NATO three color camouflage. Dual-Tex style patterns are now finding their way back into the Military in a big way.
Dual Texture - U.S. Army digital camouflage.

For best digital camo see main page highlights, the chopper is great in my opinion.
www.hyperstealth.com...

[edit on 26-9-2006 by ADVISOR]

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Hvitserk
That's the "Eritrea" model used by Finnish UN troops in tropical situations.
Standard "war" model is a lot darker:

ADVISOR
Yep, we (Recon) are usually the worst bunch of loonatics you'll ever see in an army and damn proud of it.

Actually it just takes skill and training to get close to enemy unnoticed. I've sneaked through a lot of guarded perimeters... it's easy if you know what you're doing

[edit on 26-9-2006 by northwolf]

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
Hvitserk
That's the "Eritrea" model used by Finnish UN troops in tropical situations.
Standard "war" model is a lot darker:

ADVISOR
Yep, we (Recon) are usually the worst bunch of loonatics you'll ever see in an army and damn proud of it.

Actually it just takes skill and training to get close to enemy unnoticed. I've sneaked through a lot of guarded perimeters... it's easy if you know what you're doing

nice very similar colours to CADPAT maybe a bit more brown

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Great to see different countries' digital camo, please post more folks.

In my opinion it's more efficient to have different colors/patterns for specific environments like MARPAT or CADPAT, because US Army's ACUPAT seems useless for woodland.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 08:56 AM
link   

wiki link here

From 1978 to the early 1980s, the American 2d Armored Cavalry Regiment stationed in Europe used a digital camouflage pattern on its vehicles. During 1979 and 1980 the Australian Army experimented with digital camouflage on helicopters. More recently, battledress in digital camouflage patterns has been adopted by the Canadian Army and Air Force (CADPAT), the United States Marine Corps (MARPAT), the United States Army(ACU) and much of the military of Jordan. The United States Air Force is also adopting a digital pattern as the new Battle Dress Uniform, the ABU in the 2007 Fiscal Year.

I always thought the US Marines were the first to come out with it, but it turns out the Marines took the idea from the Canadians who took the it from the Brits...which took ot from the US Army.

It's usually the other way around, lol

MARPAT

CADPAT

[edit on 26/9/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   
seriously i didn't know that china is using this too. since when did they started making those?

But to be honest, think arming soliders with bullet prove vest is more important.

[edit on 9/26/2006 by warset]

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   
warset
It all depends on the mission and terrain...
In Urban assault operation i'd take the vest, in woodland recon (my speciality) i'd ditch the vest for good camoflague and light weight (Helmet and flak jacket make you move like an elephant in porcelain shop
)

Hvitserk
The similarity between Finnish and Canadian camos are a natural thing, the vegetation and colors are very similar in both places.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Like I said, any one who is any body in the military world, has digital camoflage.

Figured you all would dig the history lesson, as it really has not been discussed much at all. Jordan has the most diverse digitals, even their police have them.
Jordan also happens to be the central key player in the new modern military, and have a huge bazaar set up for most other nations to check out. I know China sent some of their people to the last expo, images were available and it was huge, comparable to the arms scene in the movie "Warlord".

Even www.defenseindustrydaily.com... says that hyperstealth is the industries leading digi manufacturer. Just looking over their site says enough to verify that much.

I'm looking forward to seeing what other countries reveil for their patterns next, eventually the camo will have to change, but I dont see it happening in the next decade. It took the US Army that long to go back on what they decided about the velcro. In the last decade they said it would be too noisy and not efficient, then all of a sudden it is the in thing. Wellmy ACUs don't have any velcro, I made sure to get second generation, not the third gen that has the velcro, and yes they are Propper.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 12:44 AM
link   

warset
In Urban assault operation i'd take the vest, in woodland recon (my speciality) i'd ditch the vest for good camoflague and light weight (Helmet and flak jacket make you move like an elephant in porcelain shop
)

thanks for the info

no wounder the chinese armed police were the ones equipped with the vest instead of PLA

but the guy in the pic actually shows he's in PLAAF (air force)....

[edit on 9/27/2006 by warset]

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 03:04 AM
link   

warset
)

Hvitserk
The similarity between Finnish and Canadian camos are a natural thing, the vegetation and colors are very similar in both places.

we've tested cadpat here aswell works out great for late spring/summer
marpat and german flecktarn due their higher ammounts of brown much better for the rest of the year

i've seen the french 13th dragoon (specops battalion based close to here) use flecktarn a lot , they have been experimenting with different types of camo in the last years .

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 03:09 AM
link   
The Finn digital pattern works from april to october, rest of the year we use white snow suits

Our older m/91 camo pattern is allso very good in kosovo/bosnia (non digital)

One important issue in camos is the thermal masking, our suits have a anti-IR coating that reduces the distance a man can be seen by IR/NIR systems by 30-50% (I've tested it my self)

new topics

top topics

join