It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your txts r stored...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I hope you realise that everytime you send a text from your mobilephone/cellphone, it is stored by your network on their system...

The messages are stored as binary and a system we use searches every single one with a list of keywords we give it, if a word on that text matches up to any of the keywords, the users account is accessed and searched for other info on that person, phone calls are monitered etc..

I know this because I work for a mobilephone company and we use a system they've made everyday...

I guess some of you already know this, but not all of you...and the daft thing is, they say its to protect people from "terrorists" who might be planning something

This is just another nail in the coffin for our freedom. Big brother truely is watching you.

For superusers: I wasn't really sure what topic to post this under, free feel to move it to something more suitble if you wish

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Yes i remember hearing news reports in the days after 7/7 about mobile phone companys possibly being required to do this, however i just don't think you'r all you say you are.

If you do work for a mobile company and are high enough up in the chain to be given such information, i would question why you would coemj here to tell us this. If this is so to secret that its not in the public domain ( i don't know, i havn't checked ) then i would imagine you had to sign up saying you wouldn't go shooting you'r mouth off?

Mabye you do use this everyday i don't know, if you do thne fair enough, i just dont see the point in this without someting more to it.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   
How often would the phone company review everyone's messages and would they sell messages to market researches to find out what people like to do etc?

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   
maybe he has been killed for spilling the information
aint been back to continue the debate for a few days.

It seems just silly to monitor thm for terrorist chatter, market reserch would be more obvious i geuss.

What are they looking for anyway:

C U @ downin street tomoz, dnt 4gt the boms

?

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Hey guys, sorry I haven't replied yet (new work shifts are a nightmare!)

So what exactly would you like to know?

I'm not 100% sure if they use the information for market research, I would say yes because....they might as well!

Besides, why would you send a text to someone saying that? as a joke? I think you should, then see what happens

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   
What i want to know.

Is this actualy a piece of information that your not supposed to go blabbing, or is it just more of a thing they want you to be quiet about.

I remember hearing about the possibility that mobile phone firms would be forced to keep a copy of every text message sent, but this was just after the london bombings, im not sure if it was ever implimented though. This information was just for the authoritys to go into and check up on an individual they had reason to suspect was involved in terrorism.

What you seem to be saying is EVERY message is scanned for words relaiting to terrorism which could be alot fo things so they would have to be forwarded to a human for a final say on it, but maybe not i hate to think what technology can do these days.

My problem with this is that if your just an average joe working at a mobile phone company then why would you be let in on the big secret?

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Can my wife get a hold of these with out me knowing????

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   
lol corsig your in trouble!

posted on Oct, 1 2006 @ 07:14 PM
link   
yeah your telling me!

I should be a good boy

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   
lol no of course she can't...

Just think of it this way, If mobile phone companies can show you what phone numbers you've been ringing, at what times, how many texts you send, how much you've spent, is it really that hard to beleive they could see and store the text's you've sent, even record the phone calls' you've made?

Just because they shouldn't do it doesn't mean they can't...

seriously, send someone a text threatening to blow up the white house or something...and see if the fbi come knocking

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   
God damn.....so many drunkenn texts sent to x girlfreinds....in other peoples hands...oh god...oh dear.....god ,hehe

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Just out of curiousity...

Is there a time regulation on how long these can be stored, or is it just an ever-on-going
collection? What happens when a customer unsubscribes or closes an account, do they retain them afterwards?

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I don't believe this is possible. Firstly the number of messages is way too high and looking for key words or phrases would be like looking for a needle in a haystack, and also peoples spelling alters to that dreadful shorthand that can be ambiguous at the best of times.

Heres a few numbers.......

Annual SMS totals:
1999 - 1 billion
2000 - 6.2 billion
2001 - 12.2 billion
2002 - 16.8 billion
2003 - 20.5 billion
2004 - 26 billion
2005 - 32 billion

On average, 4.1 million messages are sent every hour in Britain.

36.5 billion messages will be sent throughout the UK during 2006, with an average of 100 million messages being sent per day.

www.mda-mobiledata.org...

These figures are just for the UK. Not worldwide.

Ovum forecast that worldwide 1,360 billion SMS will be sent in 2005.

www.160characters.org...

[edit on 3/10/2006 by Irma]

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I can't understand the beuty of text-messaging anyways. All my freinds know not to text me because I will not answer. It has got to be the STUPIDEST thing I've ever heard of. I seriously can not understand why you would want to write someone a letter.....whith your PHONE. Then they get that letter......on their PHONE. So a simple 2 sentance statement takes 5 freakin minutes because you have to write it and send it. Than they have to download it, open it and read it, usually while driving. The same thing would cost you about 5 freakin seconds if you just dialed the number, you're pushing those damn buttons anyways.

Star trek fans did you ever see Kirk open up his communicator and "type" a message to the enterprise? No? Thats because it would have been retarded.

What really gets me is the motards that have entire coversations on text message. Nothing makes me happier than hearing your damn phone go off 20 freakin times a minute. My sister is one of those people. She says she texts so she can still talk to me. Its not a very good converstaion when she has to stare at her phone and push 30 buttons just so text "whats up?" to her friends.

And I don't know how many times I've seen people writing text messages in traffic. But I won't get startedon that.

Soryy bout the rant.

[edit on 3-10-2006 by Tiloke]

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 04:47 AM
link   
...ROFLMAO…

Everything you say is WAY too true.

Nothing says waste of time and money to me, like text messaging. Seems like it’s a big hit with the school kids though, because they can get away with it without talking in class. The only other excuse I can see is automated messages from work or something along those lines.

Star trek fans did you ever see Kirk open up his communicator and "type" a message to the enterprise? No? Thats because it would have been retarded.

Classic!

[edit on 10/3/2006 by defcon5]

top topics

join