It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US regional Airport censored on Google Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I'm not a huge fan of half-baked conspiracies but it does strike me as odd that Westchester Airport near White Plains, NY, is censored on Google earth:

The sudden difference in resolution neatly follows the airport fenceline.

Anyone know whether any secretive units operate from here or something.

[edit on 23-9-2006 by planeman]

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Well, I assumed by censored you meant blanked out, but that's not the case, however it's still strange that the airport itself is sort of pixilated and blurred while the area immediately next to it is clearer. And yes it does follow the airport perimeter.

And planeman just out of curiosity, how does one spot something like this? Spend all your time cruising GE?

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

And planeman just out of curiosity, how does one spot something like this? Spend all your time cruising GE?

I just have an eye for stuff.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Another airport gets the same treatment; 40 50 29.03 N, 72 37 48.41 W

Funny because several other nearby airfields are not censored, including JFK and La Gardia.

My thoughts are that whoever Google bought these images off, censored them as an anti-terrorism measure. Sounds rediculous as I can't see how this makes it any harder for terrorists.

Any better suggestions?

[edit on 24-9-2006 by planeman]

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by planeman
Another airport gets the same treatment; 40 50 29.03 N, 72 37 48.41 W

Funny because several other nearby airfields are not censored, including JFK and La Gardia.

My thoughts are that whoever Google bought these images off, censored them as an anti-terrorism measure. Sounds rediculous as I can't see how this makes it any harder for terrorists.

Any better suggestions?

[edit on 24-9-2006 by planeman]

yours seems to be a good answer(hard for terrorists ,(suicide bombers and the ied set no) but for anyone wanting to do precision stuff it may require them to do recon on-site where the pictures are blurred and if this is the case then they would probably have survailance to spot lurkers.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by howie0

yours seems to be a good answer(hard for terrorists ,(suicide bombers and the ied set no) but for anyone wanting to do precision stuff it may require them to do recon on-site where the pictures are blurred and if this is the case then they would probably have survailance to spot lurkers.
Yes, but the level of pixelisation is insufficuient to prevent someone getting a GPS fix on a building and at any rate alturnative highly accurate intelligence sources are easily available, such as local maps, aviation maps, some flight-simulators (lol) and even taking a scheduled flight and looking out the window as you land/take off. The idea that it really makes things any harder for wouldbe terrorists is a bit misleading IMO. At any rate, what type of attack would they have to be planning in order to need high resolution imagery anyway?

And enemy countries can get uncensored satalite imagery anyway. The whole censoring thing seems inept to me.

top topics

join