It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Difficulties with Wolf 7.62 x 39 mm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I have heard that Wolf is changing their 7.62 x 39 line of ammo. I have recently purchased two different boxes of it.

one is the statndard black box with 122 grain HP ammo. It works fine.

The other is a camo box labeled "military classic" 124 grain HP. which misfires every other round.

I hope this is not what Wolf is switching to producing.....

Anyway, I just stockpiled what I could of the 122 grain stuff...about 500 rounds worth, I bought out what the gun store owner had left.....

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Are they really changing, Wolf rounds have always worked well.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I think they are changing it but I now have come to the conclusion it may be a faulty firing pin in my rifle. Im going to replace it and see what happens.

However, there is a shortage of 7.62 x 39 mm because all the shipments are being diverted to Iraq. bummer.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Did you change the FP yet? Cause I have never had a problem with wolf.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
I have heard that Wolf is changing their 7.62 x 39 line of ammo. I have recently purchased two different boxes of it.

one is the statndard black box with 122 grain HP ammo. It works fine.

The other is a camo box labeled "military classic" 124 grain HP. which misfires every other round.

I hope this is not what Wolf is switching to producing.....

Anyway, I just stockpiled what I could of the 122 grain stuff...about 500 rounds worth, I bought out what the gun store owner had left.....

Are you shooting an SKS carbine?

I bought a like new one a few weeks back.
It wouldn't fire the Wolf camo ammo . . . but, it looks to be my fault since I didn't get the cosmoline out of the bolt as well as I should have.
The firing pin was dragging and checking the cartridge showed a very light primer strike.

I've since cleaned the bolt to where it rattles back and forth pretty good.

I have yet to try it out again, maybe next week.
I'll try the Wolf camo stuff and also some Russian Silver Bear and maybe some older stuff a pal has.

Looking from here, it should work ok....

(Edited for spelling)

[edit on 30-9-2006 by Desert Dawg]

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Yeah ..they put it on pretty thick. I have two Yugoslavian SKS rifles. My problem was with the gas port selector. Totally in the wrong position on one then with the other for some reason I put it in the intermediate position instead of all the way over like it should be. I got stovepipes both times and it didnt feed the other round. Once the operator pulled his head out out of his backside completely and took a breath of fresh air...all worked well.
Have not had any problems with the ammo bought here locally. All my problems have been with the operator. As I recall in the military days they used to call that "Operator Error."

Good shooting and keep them in the X ring,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 05:17 PM
link   
How do you clear stovepipe jams on the AK? It's never happened to me so I wouldnt know. So what do you do?

Thanks

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999

Yeah ..they put it on pretty thick. I have two Yugoslavian SKS rifles. My problem was with the gas port selector. Totally in the wrong position on one then with the other for some reason I put it in the intermediate position instead of all the way over like it should be. I got stovepipes both times and it didnt feed the other round. Once the operator pulled his head out out of his backside completely and took a breath of fresh air...all worked well.
Have not had any problems with the ammo bought here locally. All my problems have been with the operator. As I recall in the military days they used to call that "Operator Error."

Good shooting and keep them in the X ring,
Orangetom

I learned about the gas selector button when my pal fired his SKS.
It fired ok, but the bolt would not cycle.
After selecting the proper position the carbine cycled just fine.
After seeing what happened with him, I made sure mine was correctly selected.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Full_Auto77
How do you clear stovepipe jams on the AK? It's never happened to me so I wouldnt know. So what do you do?

Thanks

Same way you clear them in most rifles or pistols. First...keeping the barrel down range...... Put the safety to safe positon. THen you manualy open the bolt... holding it back while dumping the spent cartridge. If you must and your rifle/pistol has one use the bolt lock back mechanism. Either way clear the spent cartridge and line up the next live round for entering the chamber when the bolt is released. Once the new round is chambered and locked in place you are ready to begin firing. Release the safety to the fire position
Most important in this is safety. Dont let your barrel wander all over the place while you are doing this.

THanks,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I have found these two SKS rifles to be pretty simple and reliable tools. They do not quite offer the power of my 1903 Springfield bolt action or my M1 Garand nor the accuracy but the cartridge 7.62x39 seems to be well suited to this design. Simple and reliable is fine with me and what the doctor ordered. Reloading with tailored bullets or bullets suited for the job will make this rifle perform much better...as is the case with most firearms.
Also I have no plans to make any modifications other than to remove the bayonets. No use for this piece of equipment.

Simple rugged and reliable is fine with me.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Oct, 1 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999

I have found these two SKS rifles to be pretty simple and reliable tools. They do not quite offer the power of my 1903 Springfield bolt action or my M1 Garand nor the accuracy but the cartridge 7.62x39 seems to be well suited to this design. Simple and reliable is fine with me and what the doctor ordered. Reloading with tailored bullets or bullets suited for the job will make this rifle perform much better...as is the case with most firearms.
Also I have no plans to make any modifications other than to remove the bayonets. No use for this piece of equipment.

Simple rugged and reliable is fine with me.

Thanks,
Orangetom

I agree with your assessment of simple, rugged and reliable.
'Course, I'll be doing better once I get mine to cooking - so to speak.

I do reload, but as cheap as surplus 7.62x39 is, I'll probably be shooting those.

My only criticism with the rifle is, for a military weapon the gas selector seems a little delicate.
Strikes me that it would be easy to break it off or bend it when used in a military firefight.

Other than that, a pretty good rifle methinks.
I especially like the no-tools-required takedown bit.

I think you know about this site, but for those who don't . . . a great military firearms site.
Skim down the left side and click on the weapon that interests you.

Go here:

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Desert Dawg

It wouldn't fire the Wolf camo ammo . . . but, it looks to be my fault since I didn't get the cosmoline out of the bolt as well as I should have.
The firing pin was dragging and checking the cartridge showed a very light primer strike.

I actually shuddered when I read this. Do you have any idea just how dangerous it is to shoot an SKS with Cosmoline still in the FP channel. Your problme wasn't how well the FP extended, but how badly it retracted - hello Mr.Slamfire.

Your FP needs to be able to slide back and forth under gravity alone - better yet, get the spring loaded FP upgrade from Murrays Guns. It's the first thing I did. Slamfires have killed people.

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Xphiles a dud every other round is pointing to the weapon not the ammo. I've used old Korean War era surplus ammo in an M-1 carbine that cooked off every round. Disassemble it, clean it thoroughly and re-assemble and se what happens. Sometimes by doing that you fix something without knowing what.

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh

Originally posted by Desert Dawg

I actually shuddered when I read this. Do you have any idea just how dangerous it is to shoot an SKS with Cosmoline still in the FP channel. Your problme wasn't how well the FP extended, but how badly it retracted - hello Mr.Slamfire.

Your FP needs to be able to slide back and forth under gravity alone - better yet, get the spring loaded FP upgrade from Murrays Guns. It's the first thing I did. Slamfires have killed people.

I understand that.
The firing pin ratled back and forth ok after the initial cleaning, but after sitting a couple of weeks before shooting it gummed up again.

Right now, it's clean and dry, gravity and shaking the bolt shows the firing pin is free to move, but I'll double check it prior to firing.

A firing pin spring is on the to-do list.

Doesn't make it ok, but it's interesting the factory never saw a need for a firing pin spring.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   
So has anyone else had any problems with this new Wolf ammo? Or was it the rifles? Because I saw some of this ammo, but didnt buy it because I didnt know if it was reliable.

top topics

join