It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA agents refused to Interrogate Detainees at secret jails

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   
It was revealed Wednesday that the real reason that the Bush administration admitted that they had been running secret jails but had suspended the program and transferred the detainees to Gitmo, wasn't for political gain but because their hand had been forced. The CIA agents running the jails had (since the June Supreme Court ruling that all terrorist suspects were entitled to protection under the Geneva protocols) refuse to interrogate suspects until the legality of their actions were clarified.

www.truthout.org
By Guy Dinmore
Financial Times

Wednesday 20 September 2006

The Bush administration had to empty its secret prisons and transfer terror suspects to the military-run detention centre at Guantánamo this month in part because CIA interrogators had refused to carry out further interrogations and run the secret facilities, according to former CIA officials and people close to the programme.

The former officials said the CIA interrogators' refusal was a factor in forcing the Bush administration to act earlier than it might have wished.

When Mr Bush announced the suspension of the secret prison programme in a speech before the fifth anniversary of the September 11 terror attacks, some analysts thought he was trying to gain political momentum before the November midterm congressional elections.

The administration publicly explained its decision in light of the legal uncertainty surrounding permissible interrogation techniques following the June Supreme Court ruling that all terrorist suspects in detention were entitled to protection under Common Article Three of the Geneva Conventions.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well good. I am no fan of the terrorists, God knows, but at the same time this administration has run so rough shod over the law that they have to be reined in and face the consequences of their actions. That these agents were afraid that they would be libel for their actions in itself speaks volumes about the nature of our behavior abroad. Extreme renditions, secret prisons, suspension of habis corpus, illegal wiretapping all smack of the very behavior we condemned during the cold war. We are well on the way to becoming the very type of people we claim we fought the good fight against.

Related News Links:
www.ft.com

[edit on 21-9-2006 by grover]

[edit on 21-9-2006 by UM_Gazz]

mod edit, spelling

[edit on 22-9-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   
No they just force the Army to do it for them, like Abu Ghraib. Anyone with true ethics and morals would never go near anything CIA.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Unfortunately despite rhetoric to the contrary...all states including this one are amoral and any pretense to the contrary is just propaganda.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Well that's good, I'm glad to hear that the CIA won't do something
unethical, just because some moneky in a suit in the executive chair
tells them to.

I mean if you think about it to, the people in the CIA are people just
like us, well not just like, but you get the point.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Has anybody heard about the sentences to death that were part of Bush bill? That was a new one to me.

It seems that the terrorist suspect could be sentence to death without any prove to their guilt.

That was one of the parts that was review by congress in the new version of the bill.

I imagine what else was part of Bush bill that we will never get to know.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I say that it's about time we heard some good news out of the CIA. Personally I think it's about time they stood up to the President to do what's right and legal. Kind of goes to show that although our politicians may be more monster than man, at least we still have humans running most of our government.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 11:31 PM
link   
If you listened closely to what Bush has said, his main reason for pushing this bill is because
the CIA operatives won't do diddly squat without complete immunity from war crimes prosecution.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I just going to say have any of you guy saw CIA ad on the T.V. cause I did. Is that normal cause its the first time I ever saw that. I heard a lot of things where CIA operatives are leaving or something like that. Just wondering.

[edit on 21-9-2006 by El Che]

new topics

top topics

join