It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What will be the American reaction to a nuclear strike on the US?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 09:44 AM
link   
In recent weeks, there has been an increase in speculation that Iran and/or Islamic fundamental terrorists will attack the US. In fact, if we can believe all the chatter, this attack will occur in the very near future.

What would be the American reaction to a nuclear attack against the US? Keep in mind that we probably will not exactly know who is directly responsible for such an attack unless, of course, those behind this attack actually are dumb enough to claim credit for it. What if it's a Bin Laden? Who does the US retaliate against in this case? What if it's a nation state like Iran? What if it's domestic terrorists? Or will the US simply take this opportunity, in the wake of a nuclear attack on the US, to "kill 'em all and let Allah sort 'em out"?

[edit on 9/21/2006 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Use of tactical low yield nukes against camps or high concentration of enemy personnel. As well as still using conventional weapons of course when close to high populated cities or towns.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant

What would be the American reaction to a nuclear attack against the US?

"Quickly, hand me my BROWN pants!"

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 09:51 AM
link   
IMO, the answer is the US would go crazy.

If you thought we over reacted to the planes, wait to see what we would do about a nueke or two.

I expect they would be traced back to Iran-most likely- and could/would be used as excuse to trash Iran with airpower.

Clearly the reaction would be terrible.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 09:57 AM
link   
If the source is obvious then we would definately be invading that country and probably dropping a couple nukes ourselves. Can't let anybody show us up, right? Assuming its a shadowy terror org like AQ I am sure it will be perfect fuel to the fire for the admins quest to conquer Iran, Syria, Venezuela, Cuba, etc... You could take your pick. If they don't know where it came from they would just pick from our hat of enemies. Its gettin' pretty full.

Personally, I would be buying up lots of supplies and looking north to the Upper Penninsula of MI. Should all hell break loose I would find comfort in the middle of the woods.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   
OMG US Reaction. Do you allr emember what happenned after Pearl Harbour and after 9/11?

It would be 100 times worse than them two, the backlash against anyone or country who nukes the US would be as hot as the SUN.

Bad Idea for any country in this world today to send a nuke to the US..

Remember on thing the US might have alot of Nukes, their NATO allies have Nukes also. Any country who did that would be wiped of the face of the earth.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 10:10 AM
link   
There are many scenarios according with the number of nukes detonated.

First: PANIC!
Afterall will be a lot bigger than 9/11 and there is the risk of contamination by radiation.

Second: People will wait the Gov. to make an statement, something to explain the attack and to give instructions to the people, how to behave an where to go to proper get help.
Also, it depends how many nukes exploded, what cities were damaged, etc. If they can't handle the damage made by katrina (sending help) imagine many cities destroyed by NUKES.

Will be a Chaos.

And later on, like every country with major emergency situations, will request help from other countries, etc.

Now the most important thing, the response.
As I can see, there are 2 choices. Nuke them as well or retreat.
Which means: Possible WWIII or Temporary Peace.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Certain parts of the middle east will become glass.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   
The continental U.S. need not worry too much at this point. If there was a 'nuke' sent anywhere it be most likely be at an american embassy somewhere near or around the middle east. I can't think of one country which hates the U.S. to the point of launching a nuclear attack is ALSO in possession of an ICBM....which would be required to reach continental U.S....so, everybody relax. All you need to worry about are the 'terror cells' currently living in your country tampering with your water supply and poisoning your spinach.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 11:16 AM
link   
The SLBMS will fly and take out every known ICBM site in non-NATO countries... then... the sh** really hits the fan.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by wantsome
Certain parts of the middle east will become glass.

Awesome...I can see it now....The Middle Eastern Stanley Cup Finals !!! Skating for everyone !!

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Interesting question. One I've pondered over many times. What exactly would the US do if a nuke went off on US soil?
As stated in previous posts in this thread, if a country is clearly defined as the culprit, I would imagine that an emergency teleconnference of the heads of the worlds governments would take place immediately. The message would be clear. I imagine words to this effect:
"We, the US have been attacked with a nuclear device by (insert countries name here). The US is making it clear that the repercussion is to be final, and immediate. We respectfully hope to have our allies understand, that this unprovoked attack with a nuclear device can only have one resolution. To remove the regime which permitted, and authorized this attack from the global community."
Then within less than an hour, targets would be defined, and targeted. Mass hysteria, and more than likely countless cases of mob mentality beatings, and killings of those of middle eastern descent. Notice I didn't say the word Muslims. It would be against those who are of middle eastern descent. The mob mentality would just lump all of those from that part of the world together.
Martial law would be imposed. Then within the next 12 hours, the worlds leaders would come to an agreement of some sort, and the birds would fly.
It would not be a pretty thing, as the entire world would be horrified.

Now if there is not a clearly defined "enemy" - just a phantom group claiming responsibility, for arguments sake let's say Al Quaida, then the picture is extremely muddy. The questions would be many, heck imagine what it would be like here on ATS for crying out loud. A couple for instance:

"Did Israel stage this to get us to attack (Insert countries name here)?"

"Did the US governement stage this so we could flatten (Insert Coutries name here)?"

Yeah it's real easy to say, just make that entire part of the world a sheet of glass. And the sad part is that the US has the power to do just that. Now using logic here, if the US was to do that how many MILLIONS, if not Billions of innocent people would die? Yes, you would get the bad guys, but at the cost of killing so many innocents. The majority of people in that part of the world are god fearing, intelligent, hard working people, who want the same thing we all want. To stay alive, and make your family as comfortable as you possibly can. I can say personally, that I don't agree with them on issues, but I don't want to see them dead.
Now that being said, something would HAVE to be done. If for no other reason than to make a statement. If nothing is done, you would be doing nothing more than inviting more nuke attacks on US soil. Sad, but it is a fact. My guess is that if this second scenario were to happen, that both Afghanastan, and Pakistan would be targeted, with the reasoning that "That's where Osama, and all of his terror camps are".
The world would be on edge. Kim Jong Il, up in North Korea, would be so very close to pulling his own nuclear trigger. China and Russia, would go to red alert, and all of Europe would be looking over their shoulder to see who's going to hit who. Israel would more than likely be attacked by anyone who has a nuke over there, and then all hell would break loose.

Let's just cross our fingers, and pray it never really happens. There is no "good" outcome if it does happen. None whatsoever.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   

In recent weeks, there has been an increase in speculation that Iran and/or Islamic fundamental terrorists will attack the US. In fact, if we can believe all the chatter, this attack will occur in the very near future.

What would be the American reaction to a nuclear attack against the US? Keep in mind that we probably will not exactly know who is directly responsible for such an attack unless, of course, those behind this attack actually are dumb enough to claim credit for it. What if it's a Bin Laden? Who does the US retaliate against in this case? What if it's a nation state like Iran? What if it's domestic terrorists? Or will the US simply take this opportunity, in the wake of a nuclear attack on the US, to "kill 'em all and let Allah sort 'em out"?

There would be complete panic in the United States. The initial blame would be on Iran, and we'd without a doubt nuke Iran. But I believe we'd also go on some middle east rampage slaughtering every country that stands in our way (Syria, Pakistan). Most of the middle east would be so f'ed up, and with the radiation, it's more than likely AT LEAST 5 million people will die. China may get involved later on in the conflict, maybe when we have our back turned. So, to answer your last question, I believe it will be a "kill 'em all and let Allah sort 'em out" type scenario.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by tunin
Now the most important thing, the response.
As I can see, there are 2 choices. Nuke them as well or retreat.
Which means: Possible WWIII or Temporary Peace.

Well, retreating and temporary peace are not an option. The American people would be eager for a response, just as they were for Pearl Harbor and 9/11. With this administration there is 0% chance of retreat or surrender. That's not to insult this administration (saving that for another time and place) because I would hope ANY administration would have a nuclear response to a nuclear attack. If this happens, there better be a nuclear strike on whoever is responsible. (if its not our own government)

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by PULVERlZER
I can't think of one country which hates the U.S. to the point of launching a nuclear attack is ALSO in possession of an ICBM....which would be required to reach continental U.S....

Who said anything about ICBM's? The "chatter" about this nuclear attack is based on the assumption that Al Qaeda smuggled nuclear weapons in through the mexican border, which is entirely possible. No need for an ICBM.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Very good points lombozo.

You're right, there will be many innocent lives lost. Both in the US, and in the country that pulled off the attack or that harbors the attackers.

I think a nuclear strike on US soil will have to be followed by a nuclear strike of own. As unfortunate as it is, we would have to hit back harder than we were struck. The last thing you want to do is to look weak. But we must balance the necessity to strike back with compassion for the innocent lives that will be lost on the other side.

Saying that, we my drop one or two medium/small nuclear bombs, and the remaining strikes will be with conventional weapon. This may sound cold but I believe that it will come into play…at a time when we'll have another golden opportunity to have so many countries on our side, and having an enormous amount of political capital, we cannot screw it up again (Iraq) by having a nuclear fallout in our allied countries. I believe this will be the deciding factor that will have us fighting with one hand behind our back, while our fighting hand will holding one helluva club.

Also, I believe, if it is determined a Middle Eastern country supplied/pulled off the nuclear strike, then that country will target Israel before we strike back. They would realize that the US is going to strike them in a way never seen before in warfare. With nothing else to loose, all rockets/bombs will be pointed at Israel. As soon as they know they are going to feel the US's wrath, they'll unleash on Israel. It’s the "If I'm going down, I’m not going down alone" mentality.

Any way you look at this, it’s not good.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo
Mass hysteria, and more than likely countless cases of mob mentality beatings, and killings of those of middle eastern descent. Notice I didn't say the word Muslims. It would be against those who are of middle eastern descent.

Anyway, but yeah, that season does sound quite smiliar to this "chatter" or "plan" to detonate a nuclear weapon on U.S. soil. In the TV show, terrorists did it of course. Well, the plan was stopped, but the nuclear device was already armed, so it had to be flown to the desert and detonated..and there were mobs and beatings of middle easterners..ANYWAY, yes, I think that would happen here. Most definately. We had cases like that here after 9/11..imagine a NUKE ATTACK.

Yeah it's real easy to say, just make that entire part of the world a sheet of glass.

Hey, why spend billions of dollars on a war you can end in about 10 seconds?

Now using logic here, if the US was to do that how many MILLIONS, if not Billions of innocent people would die? Yes, you would get the bad guys, but at the cost of killing so many innocents.

Nobody ever said war was pretty. No, it's not those innocent people's fault, but innocent people of ours died too. So..you can't NOT attack just because of that. You do what you gotta do. It's unfortunate but that's the game.

My guess is that if this second scenario were to happen, that both Afghanastan, and Pakistan would be targeted, with the reasoning that "That's where Osama, and all of his terror camps are".

And Iran, who would drag Syria into it.

The world would be on edge. Kim Jong Il, up in North Korea, would be so very close to pulling his own nuclear trigger.

No doubt. He'll attack South Korea and/or Japan.

China and Russia, would go to red alert, and all of Europe would be looking over their shoulder to see who's going to hit who.

I said this in another thread. I pointed out the possibility of 24+ countries being directly involved (whether that be through being attacked or through pressure from allies), those countries are, the United States, Israel, England, Canada, Australia, France, Italy, Germany, Russia, China, North Korea, South Korea, Japan, Iran, Syria, Pakistan, India, Afghanistan, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Taiwan, Venezuala, and Lebanon, with two terrorist groups also, Hezbollah and Al Qaeda.

This attack, if it occurs, will no doubt escalate and spiral out of control into World War III.

[edit on 21-9-2006 by DickBinBush]

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   

In recent weeks, there has been an increase in speculation that Iran and/or Islamic fundamental terrorists will attack the US.

Where did you get the Information, that Iran wants to Nuke USA?

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Based on how our nuclear weapons have been reorganized after SAC has been shutdown, America will not be capable of any return stike.

A single high altitude air burst of 100 MT over Kansas will close the doors on America.........

The only hope will be a sub commander with any guts, if there are any left.

America will go glowing into the night.........period

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by thermopolis
Based on how our nuclear weapons have been reorganized after SAC has been shutdown, America will not be capable of any return stike.

A single high altitude air burst of 100 MT over Kansas will close the doors on America.........

The only hope will be a sub commander with any guts, if there are any left.

America will go glowing into the night.........period

NORAD, my friend. They are buried deep in the mountains. They are capable of operating up to 30 days after a nuclear explosion. They can control all of the United States' nuclear weapons. And let's say your scenario does happen, if the United States is no more because of this blast, NORAD would take that oppurtunity to fire at all of our enemies. North Korea, China, Russia, Venezuala, Cuba, the entire Middle East, everybody. Which really isn't a bad idea if our whole country gets wiped out, what do you have to lose? Like the rockieboy said, it's the If I'm going down, I'm not going down alone mentality.

[edit on 21-9-2006 by DickBinBush]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join