It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Aims To Move the Earth!!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   
It would be hard for everyone to take the bus or train/subway but it's a good idea. I'm in college and this month have used my car for a total of about 15 hours, and that was for 2 trips home and back, I walk everywhere else, plus there are food places and groceries on campus. So, unless every place was like that, then it could help. Oh, and so I think I've done my part of not screwing up this planet any more than will be.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   
In the year 2035 a comet is suppose to fly by dangerous close to earth and if the comet doesnt move earth it's is going to hit earth dead on during it's next pass round 2040...maybe that's they're concept, except they don't want to wait though...

Maybe they'll build a "larger than planet sized" space station to change the earths gravity

Who knows.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Who made NASA god???
And how exactly do they propose moving our little planet?
What about if we all jogged backwards on the spot, perhaps we can start a 'revolution'!
Its like something Dubya would come up with.

[edit on 21-9-2006 by pmexplorer]

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by denythestatusquo
People are overlooking one obvious thing here: that the stresses and strains on the earth due to gravity from surrounding bodies in our solar system will dramatically change and the earth could be ripped apart or at least the continental plates would shift dramatically. Does anybody have a clue what the outcome of that would be?

I couldn't agree more!

It's amazing what one little change could do. . .

Wait till we wobble on our own axis a bit further during our normal 26,000 yr cycle & see what happens.

Wait till we see the moon finally escape our gravitational pull & see whan happens.

Wait till another asteroid 6+ miles wide or a comet hits us & see what happens.

Wait till anything we don't already know about gets bounced out of the Oort Cloud and thru the asteroid belt on a collision course with us & see what happens.

Wait till they try this & see what happens.

Like Essan posted earlier. I think unless we chance to observe such a thing, and the ET species that performed such a feat gives us the manual on how to do this. . . Then it would be madness. . . Plain & simple. How could anyone really know what would happen?

Again, I think our goal should be to finally be able to take US somewhere different & just watch the fireworks of our mother earth in the rearview mirror. Doesn't everything at one point leave it's mother & make it's own way thru the ??? Can't say world in this case. . . But it's still evolution.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I think this is all being taken out of proportion quite a bit. NASA is not formulating some great plan to actually move the Earth. A group of sceintist's, some of whom are associated to NASA, formulated an idea (a what-if scenario) on if they thought it was actually possible to move the Earth.

There are obviously many short-comings and issues with their ideas ... I'm sure they are well aware of that. They are simply kicking around ideas, that's what scientists do.

Personally I think if NASA can't keep a shuttle from coming apart because of foam they should have no business re-directing comets towards our little planet.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 09:13 PM
link   
It kind of reminds me of Battal Star Gallatica, from the scifi channal. We have grown so attached to this planet that we have to move it or we don't advance at all. Why don't we do what they did. Make ships to support human life, and search for other planets, in the mean whail we stop making so much polution. That would really help.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 09:16 PM
link   
To me it sounds like a really extreme way of solving global warming. Also have they considered any other effects it may have? I would think moving the earth would have more effects than just it getting cooler. I think it would be better and safer to just research some way of getting some of the carbon dioxide out the air.

Heck, we could just plant more trees!

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Sounds like a great idea...considering a comet hit the earth, killed all life on the planet, and yet...the earths orbit is unchanged. so w00t we moved the planet but everyones dead. Thanks NASA

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Almost sounds as if a comet is headed our way, so either way they can say "it was planned."

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 11:31 PM
link   
This is like that dumb idea the Russians had for creating artificial daylight, back in 1999.

The mirror is supposed to work like an artificial moon, reflecting sunlight onto several regions in Russia and other former Soviet republics before reaching Germany and the Czech Republic, said another Mission Control spokesman, Valery Lyndin.

Had the daylong experiment gone smoothly and the sky been clear, a circle of light, measuring five to eight kilometers (three to five miles) across on the ground, was to have moved at a speed of about seven meters (yards) a second.

Such a mirror could illuminate construction sites, disaster areas or wherever else light is needed, officials say. Designers say a series of mirrors or one giant mirror could harness the sun to overcome darkness and even help boost agriculture by lengthening the day.

Source

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 11:41 PM
link   
PIn Ball anyone?

This could add a whole new meaning to spin.

Better fasten your seatbelts.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 12:26 AM
link   
It seems like all of my coolest plans get claimed by other people. I have a journal from a few years ago where I created my theory of Earth Travel. Keep in mind, I was merely 15 years old.... My plan involved creating a super-massive artificial mobile moon and strategically placing it at points to "guide" the Earth to where ever you pleased, meanwhile using technology to artificially photosynthesize/heat Earth until another suitable star was reached. Don't shoot me, I realize that there are massive amounts of complications involved, but it's just a thought.

NASA just came up with a lazy teenager's idea. I give them props for the thought, then I take three away for considering at after me. If this plan does work, I'll have my paper carbon-dated to prove that I thought it up. If it's simply laughed at and discarded as a rediculous, pointless waste of thought, then I'll still feel cool since NASA thought up MY idea after me.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I like this idea NASA has but I see one major drawback. NASA is currently flying the shuttle and if you ask them they'll say the odds are in their favor of having a successful mission and there is only a 1 in 75 or so chance of a major failure or explosion etc.

Now when NASA gets to the 76th asteroid flyby, hang on, we might be in for a little shockwave. Me, I'm not worried one bit. I figure by the year 898,999,978 AD when NASA may have developed the technology to implement this plan, I will be living on a different planet.

Who knows, maybe NASA will have improved the probability of success if they've been around millions of years as well.

Of course it really is just speculation especially considering it might just be easier to create an artificial gravity well and tow the Earth to whatever location you want. Perhaps we can invent one after we've been around for a few million years. The Earth won't need to move to avoid the enlarging sun for about 1 billion years.

[edit on 22-9-2006 by orionthehunter]

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Yes, it is as you put it, a hair brained idea.

The natural protection is the issue.
When people think of global warming they think of hot weather.

NO...it is extreme weather. In the summer you melt, but in the winter you freeze your pahooti off (if you know what I mean). Last winter in Hungary is a prime example of the effects of global warming...it lasted up until June practically (and started last Sept.)

Thankfully its still moderate the weather this year.

So move the earth further away, yeah cooler summers, but your going to be in Antartica for the remaining season...

Best thing to do is use free energy and stop the pollution and the mass extermination of the rainforest which is due to tip balance next year. (freaks...the people doing this)

Later,

Peace

Dalen

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Very good Idea, However cant see it happening in our lifetime so why worry.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 05:04 AM
link   

First of all earths moon doesnt orbit our sun it orbits the earth. So if we were to move the earth at all, the moon will stay in its same orbit around the earth.

You might be interested to know that the Moon technically orbits the Earth and the Sun. If you do the calculations, you will see that the Sun exerts a gravitational force on the Moon that is roughly twice that of the Earth. The reason that the Moon stays in orbit around Earth is because the Sun is pulling on our planet at the same time. The "force difference" (for want of a better term) is negligible when compared to the singular force that Earth exerts on the Moon.

In the year 2035 a comet is suppose to fly by dangerous close to earth and if the comet doesnt move earth it's is going to hit earth dead on during it's next pass round 2040...maybe that's they're concept, except they don't want to wait though...

There is no known comet that is even close to being on a collision course with Earth. I suspect that you are referring to the extremely close approach of asteroid (99942) Apophis in 2029, but even this will comfortably miss Earth when it approaches again in 2036 (0.081 AU).

It kind of reminds me of Battlestar Galactica, from the scifi channel. We have grown so attached to this planet that we have to move it or we don't advance at all. Why don't we do what they did. Make ships to support human life, and search for other planets

Yeah, we could search for that mythical planet called.........EARTH !

[edit on 22-9-2006 by Mogget]

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I,ve said it before but the best way to cool the planet is on one day every year...

for everyone to turn up their A/C and refridgerators and fans up full and just leave your doors and windows open...instant cold air released into the atmosphere...

It,s sooooo flippin easy
I,ll call my plan..

Global
Warming
Benefit
Stratagem for

Alleviating
Radical
Syptoms
Externally

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I can't believe anyone even believe's this crap. This is DISINFO. There are ZERO creditable links that support this claim. The only other sources I have found, are exact copys. This is a joke, not real.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by LAES YVAN
I can't believe anyone even believe's this crap. This is DISINFO. There are ZERO creditable links that support this claim. The only other sources I have found, are exact copys. This is a joke, not real.

How can a suggestion of something which we may theoretically be able to do in the far distant future be disinfo?

Anyway, this idea has got me thinking: what happens if we build a Ringworld or Dyson Sphere? Would we have to abandon them when the sun starts expanding?

TG

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I think firing comets into the earth would be dangerous. Would it not be a lot safer to build a massive magnet and put it into space and allow the earth to be pulled towards it?

[edit on 22-9-2006 by TG]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join