It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Aims To Move the Earth!!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by apc
Is the sun expanding or something? That would be the only logical reason for such an undertaking. Otherwise we can just wait around... we'll cool off again soon enough.

The Sun is slowly getting hotter and will eventually expand into a red giant.

NASA have simply come with with one theoretical means whereby we might one day counter that, on the basis that if we could move the Earth, other, older civilisations, may have moved their planets and we should bear this in mind when looking for them.

The first cometary bypass to move the Earth is planned for 3:16am GMT on the 27th September 26,450,628 AD Further adjustments will be made over the following 5 million years.

So I think we have a bit of time to prepare

Of course, all this rather presupposes that we won't become extinct in the next few tens of millins of years ........

Edit: as for the Moon, well by then we'd have completely mined out all the Gorgonzola and Cheddar and all that would be left of it would be a few small lumps of debris. So that wouldn't be an issue. And all other life on Earth would be extinct, so again no worries there.

[edit on 21-9-2006 by Essan]

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

NASA have simply come with with one theoretical means whereby we might one day counter that, on the basis that if we could move the Earth, other, older civilisations, may have moved their planets and we should bear this in mind when looking for them.

[edit on 21-9-2006 by Essan]

It's obvious that NASA wasn't about to start moving the Earth without "permission" (who would one ask?). But it is interesting and important that NASA is looking for problems and coming up with solutions for them.

On the surface, moving the earth to help counter the effects of global warming does appear to be a drastic, if not stupid, idea. Some have suggested that we simply do what we can to stop the man-made causes of global warming. But what if we try to stop global warming and it doesn't work? What if we learn that global warming is a natural evolutionary or cyclical function of our planet? What if we discover that life on earth will face a rapid and catastrophic loss of life? Would moving the earth then seem more practical? What if it were your llife that could be saved or, at least, made more comfortable?

These are all questions that need to be answered. In the meantime, it is good that NASA -- or someone -- is studying hypothetical ways of solving problems that we face or that we may face in the future.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   

But it is interesting and important that NASA is looking for problems and coming up with solutions for them.

They may be looking for problems, but they certainly ain't coming up with solutions

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Well, given that we have a few 1,000 million years before the Sun expands, there's not exactly any urgency

I actually think it's an ingenious plan that just might work. Obviously better for worlds which don't have a pesky moon to get in the way. Might be best to evacuate to Titan beforehand as well as I guess the actual process of moving may be a tad unpleasant.

Of course, building a giant tractor beam may prove easier in the long run.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   
This is most certainly a joke. It sounds like something that Tina Fey would have written on Saturday Night Live - weekend update. Maybe someone should alert the Jon Stewart show and let them in on a really funny news idea.

There is no way the Earth inhabitants would survive something like this. LOL I LOVE IT!!!

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 12:20 PM
link   
But if we move the planet... won't the moon come hurtling into us? .... our field is kind of like an elastic band, and if we move far away its going to stretch it, and the moon would come crashing into us... ? or does this make no sense? .. I dunno just a thought

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Wow. I'm thinking... What if the comets hit and the Earth cracks open!?!

The asteroid belt suggests that something like that might happen.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T
More Top Secret methods considered by NASA..

What a bunch of idiots.!!

Why not just move everyone to one side of the earth and jump up and town??
Maybe that was what the ''tether'' was for.. to tow it out of orbit!!!hmmmmm..

Seriously though..do they have plans to counter the eliptical nature of the orbit?Mess that up and it,s hello sun factor 2000

Best laugh i've had in weeks, and as to the proposal to move the Earth, madness and if this is what NASA considers a serious idea and not something drawn up at a drunken staff party, then i'd rather have Robin Williams in charge of NASA playing the role of Mork again, could Mork made more sense than this !!!

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I just love the complete and total overreaction by some on this board. It gives a new meaning to "Chicken Little".

We are no where near able to do this even if everyone on the planet thought it was a good idea. We can barely get out of our own orbit, let alone plan a series of missions to attach rockets to asteroids and comets and alter their trajectory so they can alter the Earth's. We are generations away from having this ability. Sure we could mathematically simulate the process and make it work on paper, but we could not physically engineer it, yet.

So, everyone take a valium and chill out. You, you children, your children's children and their children will all have left this world long before it could actually be done.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Well, world jump day didn't work, so they have to think of something.

www.worldjumpday.org...

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 02:00 PM
link   
We paid money for that research?
someone ought to be fired for daydreaming...

and to think... we could have fed some actual living breathing humans with that money...
instead, what we have is a very poorly conceived plot for a comic book...

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   
They can't even identify "debris?" in LEO. How do they expect to pull off something like this? I am demanding that they all be sent for drug testing. . .

Not to mention if the moon moves ANYWHERE, away from, or towards us. That would be a very bad thing. . . Are we gonna hitch a tow cable to it & bring it along?

Hey I've got a crazy idea. . . How bout we spend the time, money, ( and obviously really good weed ), on moving US to another location. Wouldn't that be much simpler? We've already started stuff like that. Why take a chance on turning the planet into the biggest skating rink in the solar system?

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Isn't that idea been done on like a million things, even a "Futurama" episode?

Sorry, I'm destressed about so many things lately. I just hope, and want, and need all that it is could all get cleared up, so I could have "fun" on here. Sorry, for the complaint. But I just have been feeling like that all year, lately. I desperately need to do so. Because I want to Move on.

Now back on topic.....
I think it would be possible someday, but that's so far away. That right now it's just an engineering day dream of sorts.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   
People are overlooking one obvious thing here: that the stresses and strains on the earth due to gravity from surrounding bodies in our solar system will dramatically change and the earth could be ripped apart or at least the continental plates would shift dramatically. Does anybody have a clue what the outcome of that would be?

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   
How much do these guys get paid to think of these ideas? And to think they must have went to some of the best colleges for whatever practice...

I've had all these ideas come to mind with no knowledge of anyone else claiming the idea.
I first thought of, why dont they build a giant scaffold to the outer reaches of our atmosphere, instead of taking a risky flight on a rocket. You could get creative in location design and materials you might use.
tehn I come here and see people mentioning they theorize about an elevator.

Now this moving the planet.
I was just sharing this same idea with a family member, but mine consists of builing a hull around the earth. If we would stop spending our man made money on killing humans, maybe we could get some technology to allow us to mine a nearby moon or asteroid.

Encase the globe in a giant capsule, the hull itself would double as a giant metropolis with connections to the earth with wich people travel like highways.
Of course this idea would be best if there was some way to keep our planet "Alive" in its natural state somehow. This would prove to be a challenge.
advance fuel tech or somthing and simulate everything we need for the planet to continue how it is now. Just have to jump from star to star and fill her back up.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   
First of all earths moon doesnt orbit our sun it orbits the earth. So if we were to move the earth at all, the moon will stay in its same orbit around the earth.

Second of all I think we should be more into preventing asteroids from hitting the earth before we even start to think we can move it.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I just think that this is a silly post.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Man, I bet Nasa didn't expect me to laugh so hard at this hare-brained scheme. I hope our leader is smart enough to see this flawed idea for what it is. Wait a minute................

Did Nasa have a "bring your stash to work day"??

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   
My planet is quite a bit further from our sun as earth is to yours. Our sun is essentially equal to yours in radiation other than its blue. Earth will be fine. Although you will need to add another month to your calendar year, as it will take longer for earth to round your sun. Call the new month, Z. This will of course upset the time continuem as the reference to "3 or 4 years ago" will have a completely different meaning than it did in the past.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 06:36 PM
link   
The roaming charges on your planet are killing me!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join