It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Aims To Move the Earth!!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Now NASA scientists are thinking of moving the Earth to to an orbit farther away from the Sun in order to counter the affects of global warming!!

Is this a hare brain idea? Is it possible? OK. It may be practical to do so but by the time the technology is put in place, it may take another thousand years by which time there would already have been a melt down!

So the purpose would be defeated as most of Earth would probably have been scorched by then!!

The technology involved for this Earth shaking maneuver.....

Robin McKie, science editor
Observer

Scientists have found an unusual way to prevent our planet overheating: move it to a cooler spot.

All you have to do is hurtle a few comets at Earth, and its orbit will be altered. Our world will then be sent spinning into a safer, colder part of the solar system.

This startling idea of improving our interplanetary neighbourhood is the brainchild of a group of Nasa engineers and American astronomers who say their plan could add another six billion years to the useful lifetime of our planet - effectively doubling its working life.

'The technology is not at all far-fetched,' said Dr Greg Laughlin, of the Nasa Ames Research Center in California. 'It involves the same techniques that people now suggest could be used to deflect asteroids or comets heading towards Earth. We don't need raw power to move Earth, we just require delicacy of planning and manoeuvring.'

The plan put forward by Dr Laughlin, and his colleagues Don Korycansky and Fred Adams, involves carefully directing a comet or asteroid so that it sweeps close past our planet and transfers some of its gravitational energy to Earth.

Earth's orbital speed would increase as a result and we would move to a higher orbit away from the Sun.

Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2006

OK in theory. But the difficulties are mind boggling to say the least, due to the comlexities of celestial mechanics.

And what happens to the Moon?

More...

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 12:54 AM
link   
................*silence*
i sure hope this is some kind of joke....for one if we move further away..dont you think that would not only CHANGE the surface of the earth...drasticaly..but hmm i bet they brought that into concept didnt they..we will be colder..much colder..like it isnt cold enough here in the winter time..geez...and yea what abotu the moon? nice...and what about the ecosystems and i dont think we could evolve fast enough to adapt to the new coldness on our planet.....and the idea of comets moving our orbit......
i can just see a bunch of things that could go wrong....i will name just two to be short..1: and the most obvious..they miss and comit crashes to earth..BOOM we done for....2: we succeed but the moon doesnt go with us...and eventually...crashes to earth....oh i could go on and on lol what kinda scientist would think of such a thing? i dont like to ramble but this is just plain nonsense.
:.Kiliker.:

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 01:01 AM
link   
imagine everyone waiting around on earth, scared out of their minds just waiting to see if we'll all fly into the sun, or out of the solar system altogether hehe

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Ok, I officially consider NASA to be one of the most useless organisation
this contry has ever created.

That's got to be the most insane idea I've ever heard of.

And honestly, I don't think it's possible using the methods said.

It's also a defeatist attitude, the obvious thing to do when it comes to
fixing Global Warming is to stop putting green house gases into the
atmosphere, use environmetally friendly technology, and clean the
atmosphere of the pollutants we've already put into it.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Ok and have they figured out a way to lasso themselves up a Comet to direct it in this direction?? LOL I think I have a better chance of defocating gold bricks then they do of controlling a Comet.

Pie

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 02:23 AM
link   
lol reminds me of futurama when they get all the robots to let out there emissions at the same time to move the earth

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 02:38 AM
link   
The main question to ask here is this - Who the hell on this planet gives one organisation the right to do something on behalf of all the people of the Earth, which may benefit or destroy the planet?

Where is the a global vote or referrendum on such a mission and who would be responsible for global destruction if it didnt work and screwed up this planet yet we somehow survived. '

For all we know, we might end up with days half as long as now and a much colder/semi ice age environment with massive storms and earthquakes/volcanoes.

I'd want the head of NASA on a platter if that happened and anyone responsible for the aproval of it.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Once a giant ball like Earth starts "Rolling" through our solar system, i dont think its very easy to stop it at the perfect spot, what are they thinking? Another case of humans trying to play god with nature!

Plus...you could disturb Earth's circle around the Sun..It could just start and float at one place only, Winter or Summer throughout the year in some places.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 04:08 AM
link   
It could be done, but the numbers of comets and/or asteroids you'd need to impart enough angular momentum to the planet to change its orbit would be mindboggling.

Then you have all the hazards which would come with this, not least of which would be missing your mark and hitting the place. As for the Moon, it should move along with us, due to the large mass differential between the Moon and the Earth. They would effectively act as one body, however there would be a small chance of losing the Moon.

Practically, it would be nigh on impossible to attempt given our present space capabilities and what we'd have to do in order to accomplish the task.

In reality, this is just another "what if" exercise. I doubt it'd be taken seriously, even within NASA.

[edit on 21-9-2006 by GhostITM]

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 04:14 AM
link   
our earth was definatly not ment to be used for double its time, we are ment to move on to other planets.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I think it will work. By using computer models until a solution is discovered we could push the Earth into a cooler orbit. Then NASA can do the same thing to bring the moon to us tucked in nice and neat. Then we can all mix a dry martini and call it a day.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Only a stupid, fat, overburden on resources good for nothing group of Americans sat in a hanger with far too much money and not enough sense could of come up with such a stupid world endangering solution to space travel and slowing global warming......

OK I feel its time to totaly anhialate America, destroy NASA and all its bloody toys and stupid people with stupid ideas, and let the world carry on in its orbit as it was meant to do.!!!

What next??? Use HAARP to raise another continent in the middle of the pacific??

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 04:45 AM
link   
What a load of rubbish. The mass of a comet is completely insignificant compared to that of Earth. You might as well try moving a mountain with a wasp.

All I can say is that if some NASA scientists are thinking about this, then they have seriously lost the plot.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 05:05 AM
link   
The plan isn't to counter global warming - it's to counter solar warming and expansion.

And we wouldn't be looking at doing it for a few million years yet .... By the time we have the need and the technology to move the Earth we'll probably be established on other planets anyway. The Earth will just be a dusky old museum.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Crackpot plan: 23A/earth/.doc

It would be safer and more practical to get the global population to rush to one side of the planet at once, starting a rolling momentum and then we can 'Zorb' our way outta danger

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 05:59 AM
link   
More Top Secret methods considered by NASA..

What a bunch of idiots.!!

Why not just move everyone to one side of the earth and jump up and town??
Maybe that was what the ''tether'' was for.. to tow it out of orbit!!!hmmmmm..

Seriously though..do they have plans to counter the eliptical nature of the orbit?Mess that up and it,s hello sun factor 2000

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Agent,

Man you've really got a sense of humour!

Now I wish I had the mail IDs of these self styled Einsteins, so I could forward your post to them!! (With your permission of course!!
)

Long live NASA and the bubbleheads!

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I think that in NASA's point of view this Option is easier.....

Can you imagine asking evryone, (and I mean everyone)
to sacrifice and stop polluting this planet?

- Ask Millionares to stop polluting and use their money to
spend it on upgrading their factories, and other factories in third world countries
that cannot afford it?
- Ask everyone to hop on the BUS?
- Ask Everyone to use fuels that do not give you as much "horse power"
- Ask everyone to not use their ACs to conserve energy
- Ask everyone to stop using chemicals such as your "AXE" deodorant,

Just the tasks mentioned above are almost imposible, and makes the
idea of using a comet to move our earth as silly as the ones persented above...

Good intentions, but they are a Disney fantasy....I think our generations have not grasped on the idea that we are on this planet together

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Those Pictures above are Hilarious, is that the NUMA NUMA guy?

Hey didn't superman move the earth in Episode one? well we can use
him right now! Where the f**** is he when you need him?

[edit on 9/21/2006 by a1ex]

apc

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Is the sun expanding or something? That would be the only logical reason for such an undertaking. Otherwise we can just wait around... we'll cool off again soon enough.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join