It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

hugging in schools

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I have recently discovered that in my school, they have banned hugging. No one can do it. If we are caught hugging on school grounds, it can either be consitered "bullying" or sexual harassment. The punishment for this foul offense is out of school suspension to being expelled. Thoughts?

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I think it is terrible! Is kissing also banned? Holding hands? Is this a high school?

I think it is terrible that a sign of affection is banned... Just too sad.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Well, to put it bluntly, I think it's stupid.

They have similiar rules about kissing and hugging at my school,
but there never enforced.

The reason they quote is that "It's embaressing to other students
and faculty.".
How is something you're not doing embaressing?

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Well, my opinion is that this, like most blanket rules, is most likely an over-reaction to something somebody found offensive. Perhaps someone was bullying someone else in this way, or perhaps there was a case of sexual harrassment, or maybe even two guys hugging!

And, as with most such blanket rules, it does not address the real problem and it will most likely prove to be ineffective in stopping whatever real abuse was going on (if there was a case of real abuse), and a batch of good students who don't cause trouble and are there to learn will be suspended or expelled for hugging a friend.

Another example, I fear, of the sad direction our country is taking... away from personal liberty and toward repressive rules.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Wow that seems mighty harsh,

Can i ask if there has been any problems in the school that may have brought this rule on, Or has this rule just spounted from knowhere?

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Try giving your princible or super intindent a hug. From the sounds of it, and this new rule there, I think they feel left out, maybe just went through a divorce, maybe their kids hate them, or maybe never got any emotionl effection as a kid and wish to ruin it for every one and force all kids to walk through the halls of schools like steril robots.

So go on! Give them hugs! They need it!

Poor up tight hug haters.

If I could, I would slap your princible across the face and declare him a foul piece of humanity.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 05:04 PM
link   
It's crazy, but a clear sign of what society has come to. Everyone needs a hug from time to time. No jokes, no hugs. What next?

[edit on 2006/9/18 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   
God I'll be in so much trouble in your school! I hug everyone of my friends and that a lot people and that even include guys. (I'm so full of love
) Anyway that suck really suck!!!!!!!!!! I would never obey those rules no matter what, cause everyone need to show some care or compassion.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Spread the word over the week-end that monday will be hug day.

Get all the students greet each other with a hug all day.
You walk into class and give a few friends a hug before you sit down.
You see someone you know in the hall, give em' a hug.

Your mad as hell...
And your not gonna take it anymore.....

And because your not getting any at school, here's one for ya...

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I think it is terrible! Is kissing also banned? Holding hands? Is this a high school?

I think it is terrible that a sign of affection is banned... Just too sad.

no kissing, no holding hands, no displays of affection of any kind

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
Wow that seems mighty harsh,

Can i ask if there has been any problems in the school that may have brought this rule on, Or has this rule just spounted from knowhere?

it pretty much just sprouted from nowhere. the middle school thought it was a good idea so the friggin high school decided they had to follow suit.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Public or private school?

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Try giving your princible or super intindent a hug. From the sounds of it, and this new rule there, I think they feel left out, maybe just went through a divorce, maybe their kids hate them, or maybe never got any emotionl effection as a kid and wish to ruin it for every one and force all kids to walk through the halls of schools like steril robots.

So go on! Give them hugs! They need it!

Poor up tight hug haters.

If I could, I would slap your princible across the face and declare him a foul piece of humanity.

Im not sure if that would work or not...my principal is a cold, cold woman. But the suggestion did make me giggle a bit...but in a good way...it put a very "interesting" picture in my head...thanks for the laugh

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
Public or private school?

public

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   
God what has this world come to no hugging, god that this is horrible!!!!!!!!!!!
them try to get everyone to hug or do something to get this over turn!!!!!

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
Spread the word over the week-end that monday will be hug day.

Get all the students greet each other with a hug all day.
You walk into class and give a few friends a hug before you sit down.
You see someone you know in the hall, give em' a hug.

Your mad as hell...
And your not gonna take it anymore.....

And because your not getting any at school, here's one for ya...

thats actually a pretty good idea...im suprised no ones thought of it yet...ill give it a shot (and thanks for the hug...very cute)

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by what_if_we_could
I have recently discovered that in my school, they have banned hugging. No one can do it. If we are caught hugging on school grounds, it can either be consitered "bullying" or sexual harassment.

I'd be interested in seeing the exact wording fron your school's student rules/guidebook, as that seems a bit extreme. "bullying"?

Here's a direct quote from my daughter's high school's "Guidelines For Student Conduct"

The public display of affection (i.e. inappropriate touching, kissing) is prohibited.

In all honesty, the kissing part was a bit of a surprise.

While she admits that it's not something the teachers and staff aggressively enforce, I can understand the need for such a "clause" as a means to deal with/handle extreme circumstances.

But, hugging ... seemingly construed as "bullying"?

A new one for me.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   
My school has the same rules... so do many schools I know of. The hugging part was strictly enforced at the middle school... but hugging is less enforced at the high school but kissing and sutff is still enforced somewhat. Most teachers don't care and the ones that do hopefully aren't around lol.

It's all about how PDA are inapropriate and yaddah yaddah yaddah. It is really crazy... our school has also taken away a lot of dances because of 'freak' dancing. The taking away of dances resulted after an article in the state capitols area biggest newspaper about our suburban goody goody school. Yet the school still lets the DJ play gangster rap and other music that encourages stuff like that in the lyrics. If they stopped playign that the peopel who do freak would stop but they decide to take dfances away from everyone. Stupid school no tolerance blanket rule policies.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Man, I feel sorry for you guys.

While my Highschool does have a policy for that kinda stuff, no one really pays attention to it. Heck, a couple weeks ago, I was getting hugs and kisses from my Girlfriend all the time.

The teachers didn't do anything, and man, was it enjoyable.

The fact that your school, and many others from what I have read in this thread, have started banning hugging shows an unusually low IQ amongst the schools factulty members.
Perhaps it's been caused by the current teacher attire? Those suits are awfully tight around the neck(I wore one on a certain occasion), and perhaps this caused restricted blood-flow to the brain?

Maybe I should write an article about this and then try and publish it in a newspaper somewhere.

I must RESEARCH!

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 08:28 PM
link   
That's the NWO for you. No human touch! Just electronics!

I'm a huggey type and i touch whatever i want when i want.

Just try to stop me.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join