It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oberman on Bush's 'rush' to redifine Geneva Conevtions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   
There to many things wrong with what Bush is trying to accomplish,so im going to refrain from an opinion on this one. This video seems to cover the issue very well,enjoy.

(Prison Planet-MSNBC)-Keith Olbermann's Friday broadcast on MSNBC featured a long look at the President's contentious Rose Garden press conference on Friday, dubbing it the "Roast Garden," and then pondered whether Bush's urgency to redefine the Geneva Convention had more to do with "covering his own backside" than anything else.

Link to video here
www.prisonplanet.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Oberman is an open border idiot

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 10:28 PM
link   
dude...olbermann is one of the good guys who is not a lackey to corporate spin machine. He actually evaluates what this presidency is doing to our freedom and the freedom to others without sugarcoating it with"If the president say's it must be done than o it must be necessary."

If you actually did some research on the web or on this forum, you would see that bush is the real open border idiot. Have you ever heard of the North American Union?
So rdang, if your going to make a insulting comment like that at least back it up to why you believe he is an idiot and not make a fool of your self on this thread.

[edit on 19-9-2006 by Revelmonk]

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 10:56 PM
link   
this is really serious! if we let this slide through our hands it will be the worst mistake the american people have ever made.

i dont know anything about law...so this is IMO: even if they change the american law, didn't they commit the crimes before the law was changed? so shouldn't they be charged as if the old law was in effect?

is that how it works? why is changing it going to help?

...and why arent more people trying to stop it? whats gov't buzz?

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Can someone break this down more clearly?

Aren't the Geneva Conventions an international agreement?

How can Bush or Congress change them?

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 03:07 AM
link   
The Geneva Conventions have been around for decades, being consistently and carefully revised to take into account the very nasty weapons that mankind has been industriously developing over the years, such as poison gas and chemical and biological weapons. It also has stringent rules for the care and safety of political prisoners. Upholding the Geneva Conventions is a mark of civilisation.
Not holding to the Geneva Convention puts you in the same place as Japan during WW2, when they treated Allied prisoners of war barbarically. As for Nanjing, don't get me started. What they did there was so horrible that parts of the nation are still denying that it happened. Hitler considered abandoning the conventions in the treatment of POWs, but in a rare outbreak of sanity was talked out of it.
The Geneva Conventions were fine for World War Two and the Korean War. Both of which were pretty nasty. They have been fine for decades.
Changing them to allow waterboarding and other practices means that Bush wants to adapt interrogation techniques that were used by the USSR and which were roundly and rightly condemned by the USA.
I'm sorry, but the man's an idiot.

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 05:09 AM
link   
how can you say that he is an open border idiot?????

did you even click the link??????!!!!????

i watched this with a completely open mind...as i do EVERYTHING....

and my only impression was that this was BAD....ephing BAD....

how many times are we gonna get caught doing these things????

and how many more times are we gonna let these practices go UNANNOUNCED!!???

with NO PUNISHMENT

i am speechless @ this point...SPEECHLESS

i seriously hope that when these detainees are interviewed by the red cross they DONT say they underwent " waterboarding ".

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkmind
Changing them to allow waterboarding and other practices means that Bush wants to adapt interrogation techniques that were used by the USSR and which were roundly and rightly condemned by the USA.
I'm sorry, but the man's an idiot.

Actually he's trying to make the changes retrospective to 9/11/01, so it would seem that we've been breaking the law and torturing captives for the last 5 years. I think W sees his future and it involves bars.

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe

Originally posted by Darkmind
/quote]

I think W sees his future and it involves bars.

That's an unfounded rumour. We have been reliably informed he quit the drinking years ago

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   
lets say the detainees do say "waterboarding" was used on them as an interrogational technique....what are the consequences for the administration and would the UN actually press the issue? imo, we know the detaniees are going to say something about not being treated fairly..they would say this even if they ate caviar and slept upon beds of gold. so is anyone actually going to take them seriously?

unfortunatly i see the administration slipping through the cracks once again.

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Oberman is failing in the media world. His ratings stink. His show stinks even worse. Ever see that freak'n stupid signature closing of his .. crumpling up the paper and tossing it at the screen. LAME!

He's trolling for ratings.

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I guess GW is wiping his ass with every doctine or law that was passed by the international community because he sees that these laws are surpassed by the immoral laws that he has decided to create.

Oberman is failing in the media world. His ratings stink. His show stinks even worse. Ever see that freak'n stupid signature closing of his .. crumpling up the paper and tossing it at the screen. LAME!

What is the beef with olbermann, is he not reporting the news truthfully?, is he lack dogging to the media giants?, plz tell me a reason to bash a guy who presents the news at it is. I understand you may not like his whole show but don't bash the parts of it that show truthfully what the politics of this adminstration is doing to this country.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Revelmonk
dude...olbermann is one of the good guys who is not a lackey to corporate spin machine. He actually evaluates what this presidency is doing to our freedom and the freedom to others without sugarcoating it with"If the president say's it must be done than o it must be necessary."

If you actually did some research on the web or on this forum, you would see that bush is the real open border idiot. Have you ever heard of the North American Union?
So rdang, if your going to make a insulting comment like that at least back it up to why you believe he is an idiot and not make a fool of your self on this thread.

[edit on 19-9-2006 by Revelmonk]

I'm Sorry about the open border part. Oberman is just an Idiot!

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by rdang
Yeah? And?
Is that all you have to contribute?
What makes him an >Open border idot

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Olbermann is more on top of things than the more corporate tools like Glenn Beck and O'Reilly. "The death of habeas corpus", "Yawn as our rights evaporate", he has some good stuff, on his site.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Actually, I found what he said on tv tonite (wednesday).

www.msnbc.msn.com...

"We have lived as if in a trance.

We have lived as people in fear."

I give it

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   
As I've gotten the chance to read through the forums I realized there's a lot of right wing neo-cons on here...and that was confirmed tonight with the idiots who are slamming Keith Olbermann.

Simply said, I'm leaving this forum because of all the Neo-con fanatics hiding out here, there's just way to many of you...for any of those who enjoyed my comments you can get more of mine on my blog www.myspace.com/maxcass - otherwise adios to you all.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Here's a summary of the Bush statement:

Journalist: The world and Colin Powell are doubting the moral basis of the war on terror. Don't you think that the strategies you are using are flawed?
Bush: To think that there's any comparaison between the US foreign policies and the terrorists tactics is completly unacceptable.

So if we don't agree with the Bush administration policies, were unacceptable and helping the terrorists? Freedom of speech?

YouTube Video Olbermann demands apologies from Bush [

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   
What I found disturbing is the way this was all hailed. First the Republican party made a lot of noise, and then "reached a compromise" with the president. A compromise? On what is considered humanitarian? So now torture can be humanitarian, as long as it's "for the greater good."

Oh, but stem-cell research, which could arguably cure a plethora of human ailments, is inhumane and immoral.

I think Stephen Colbert said it best when he said "Because basic human rights is something we all need to compromise on...'

I lost all hope for Bush (and quite a bit of respect for the general populace) when he stated "I hear the voices, and I read the front page, and I know the speculation. But I'm the decider and I decide what's best. And what's best is for Don Rumsfeld to remain..." In any other decade of our history, except perhaps the last 30 years, this statement would likely have caused protests at the very least, and a serious call for impeachment being quite likely.

What he basically said was "I don't give a rats ass what the American people want. I refuse to listen to their trivial complaints, and will continue to do only what I want to do."

Don't we elect our president to be a representative of the people, in essence, a spokesman to carry the will of the people out into the world? So what is a leader who ignores what the people, the press, and his own military are asking him to do, if not a tyrannical dictator.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by aecreate
Actually, I found what he said on tv tonite (wednesday).

www.msnbc.msn.com...

"We have lived as if in a trance.

We have lived as people in fear."

I give it

I agree with him 100%
Actually its pretty scary.
R.I.P Hapious Corpes

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join