It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arrests at Vancouver airport!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   
This just in!

Police have arrested 2 middle Eastern men at Vancouver Int Airport, apparently they had suspect devices in their luggage! When a link comes around I will get it. This is just coming 'live' via the news on TV.

[edit on 17/9/06 by Mcphisto]

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Probably a cell phone and a bottle pf Lucozade

Honestly, security is a real joke in many places. I flew out to Dublin for a business meeting last week, first one since the alleged foiled liquid bomb plot thingy.
At the departure lounge entrance there were extra "security" staff taking cosmetics and cigarette lighters from everyone.
I decided to chance it and didn't declare my lighter (a cheap disposable). About 80% of the time I get away with it but not this time. Fair cop guv, take it away.

30 yards into the departure lounge I popped into WH Smiths and bought a new lighter, once again making myself a security risk and potential trrrrrrrist suspect.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Here's a link but its pretty short on details.

A source tells CKNW that a suspect image at a screening point caused concern around 8 this morning with departure lounges immediately evacuated.

What that suspect image was has not been revealed, but a number of flights that had already departed had to turn around to be re-screened.

Hopefully its nothing.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Around 8 am? That was four hours ago.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   
the flights are returning to normal. Where is the source that says two middle eastern men were arrested? Damned if I could find it.

I live right less than two miles from YVR BTW
I'd be interested in knowing where the OP got the info from?

No more reports on CBC as yet as to who or what happened. No mention of arrests either.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   
CBC.ca has something up now.

www.cbc.ca...

All departing flights at Vancouver International Airport were put on hold for more than two hours on Sunday morning because of a security breach, CBC News has learned.
Officials at the airport have not given details about the nature of the security breach.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   
between detained, taken into custody and "arrested". I didn't see the actual televised report so could the OP clarify what was said and what channel he was watching? (or listening to as several radio stations had the story as well)

The last CBC article was from around Noon PST. Thanks Umbrax for posting the link...I forgot to do it

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   
It was probably an operator test they forgot to clear on the x-ray.
We had at least one evacuation at Honolulu because of that.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Just a blurb, relating that it was likely an item that was on the list of banned items (liquid and sharp objects was mentioned specifically).

Nothing about the nationality of the bag's owner(s) and nothing about arrests.

They re-screened all passengers and flights resumed as normal.

Someone forgot to take out their nailclippers again probably...or that handy anti-bacterial gel stuff...

Will keep my eyes open for anything further but it doesn't seem like any foiled terrorist activity.

EDITED TO ADD: source - www.cbc.ca

All departing flights at Vancouver International Airport were put on hold for more than two hours Sunday morning after a security guard noticed what appeared to be a prohibited item on the screen of an X-ray machine.

The bag in question had already left the screening point, and a decision was made to re-check the passengers, said Renee Fairweather with the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority.

She said it wasn't clear what the object was, but prohibited items include liquids and sharp objects. A firearm would have shown up clearly on the screen.

Boarding gates at the airport were closed as departing passengers went through a second screening. Flights were not allowed to take off for about two hours and 15 minutes, causing major line-ups at the airport.

Incoming flights could land during the clampdown, but people were not allowed off the planes.

[edit on 9/17/2006 by justgeneric]

[edit on 9/17/2006 by justgeneric]

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by justgeneric
Where is the source that says two middle eastern men were arrested? Damned if I could find it.

I seen the report on Global news that said this. Sorry for not getting a link but Ive been house hunting!

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by justgeneric
Someone forgot to take out their nailclippers again probably...or that handy anti-bacterial gel stuff...

Oh don't get me started on that stuff. Oh I hate it so bad. At least twice a year we would see it show up at the airport and suddenly our alarm rates on the trace detectors shot up. Know what the third ingredient is? Glycerin. That's right. As in "nitroglycerin". It used to drive us insane until we figured it out.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I know...you should try living this close to a major airport...at least three times per day they run emergency tests, and at all times of the night you can hear the sirens and fire trucks raging on and on...

Never sure exactly what it's all about, false alarms and training exercises combined to drive residents within earshot crazy!

I had friends who travelled last week and they got stopped and had to get rid of a bunch of stuff that was "questionable" as to whether it should be allowed. Toothpaste? I mean really...lucky for them they went quite early...imagine if you're pressed for time!

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Just what the news needs more of. You can't clip your nails on an airplane.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   

You can't clip your nails on an airplane

If i'm not mistaken, I think it may be the metal file on most pairs of nail clippers that are prohibated not the clippers themselves. I could be wrong.
I remember seeing a guy get mad because the CATSA made him pry the file off of the clippers
The fact that he was arguing over NAIL clippers actually made me laugh a bit.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
It used to drive us insane until we figured it out.

"now we just ignore it"

I just love how there's no explanation for what was in the bag, what the names of the arrested people was, where they've been taken to, if they're charged, released, in a secret prison, etc etc.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 10:54 PM
link   
No, we started random beatings everytime we found it in the checkpoint.

It depends on what caused the alarm. If it was a screener test, then there was nothing in the bag. If it was the ETD there is a list of several hundred products it could be, all harmless.

top topics

join