It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

could it be possible that kids actually see the boogeyman

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 11:46 PM
link   
ive had this thoery for a while now since i heard that little kids could see paranormal objects better than older so ive been thinkin that maybe the boogeyman is real. but only little kids could see him ur problally thinking im crazy and everything. now this thoery could just all be folklore and thats the reason y adults dont belive in him. but dont u think its at all possible thats kids may actually see him

when i was five i remember i couldve sworn i saw the boogeyman now it couldve just been a nightmare .

but if this is all a legend y would most of the nations and/or cultures have an exapmle of this.

en.wikipedia.org... here is a link

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I guess it depends on what you mean by the*Boogeyman*

I do think children are more receptive to the paranormal, Also due to that they have not learned to be afraid of such things, until there mind develops and they learn fear ect then could see allsorts and would not think it abnormal,

A friend of mines baby always seemed to be laughing and looking at something,
We used to joke that she was playing with a ghost; I think I was the only one who thought that past the joke "what if"

It sure is an interesting subject, and im sure others will have some thoughts on this, and also some personal stories on this matter,

you may also find this thread an interesting read,

Can children see "dead people"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 16-9-2006 by asala]

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala

I do think children are more receptive to the paranormal, Also due to that they have not learned to be afraid of such things, until there mind develops and they learn fear ect then could see allsorts and would not think it abnormal,
sometimes I have a healthy

I agree only yesterday Iwas telling someone about how when I was younger I was not scared of anything...Now I still don't fear anything so to speak but I have a healthy respect for things I do not understand.

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 09:50 PM
link   
as good of a point you make, i have but one question. If children could see the boogeyman, then why do no adults believe in him? All adults were once children and the way i veiw it is that if all children could actually see it, then why wouldn't anyone remember it as adults? Adults giggle when their small child runs in the room claiming to have seen the boogeyman, but wouldn't it be a much more serious topic if people actually remember seeing him as a child? I do believe that a child is much more receptive to paranormal phenomena than adults, but i also believe that adults would remember seing what they did as a child.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   
My 2 cents; maybe the story of the "boogeyman" came about after a child saw a demonic being under their bed, told their parents, their parents played it off & probably said it was "a monster trying to get you"(In whatever language at the time seeing that th story is quite old) & they named it the boogeyman, not taking the child seriously.
And that probably where the legend came from & that child told their children & such.
And If there was a boogeyman, I highly doubt his/her real name is boogeyman & I highly doubt it's the same entitiy under every kids bed.

CX

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I think that most of the spooky bogeyman worries for kids come from watching the many kids programmes that are on tv.

Typical example, my kids have recently started learning about ancient egypt at school, and they almost freaked when they were told that they were going to the Tutankahmun exhibition nearby. Why did they freak? Not because they were going to see an old dead mummy, they understood what all that was about, but because they thought the mummy was going to chase them like in Scooby Doo!

Last week it was nightmares about cows coming to take her away! What had she been watching? The Little Vampire, a kids film but the cows turn into vampires. They won't watch Monsters Inc now either!

So i think that sort of thing accounts for most of the bogeymen.

However i think children are very perceptive to the paranormal, so we can't rule out that they are really seeing something. Somewhere in the loft i have a home video about 10 minutes long of my youngest daughter aged about 3 or 4, sat up in bed watching what she described as "purple lights" floating around her room and bed. She was saying they were disapearing into the cupboard and then coming out again and things like that. When they appeared to her she was saying to me on film, "There they are, can't you see them daddy?".

My eldest used to say, "the old lady was on my ceiling again last night". I always made light of it so as not to alarm her and made it sound as if it was a nice experience and that she was real lucky. The lady she described fits the spitting image of my late nan, so who knows?

I have a couple of real bizzare experiences from my childhood that i guess could be viewed as reincarnation related and also ancient egyptian sacrifice related, i think i've already mentioned them in this section many moons ago but all i know is that they were that real at the time that whether they were dreams, real past experiences or not, they certainly felt real.

CX.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 01:01 PM
link   
What doesn't help is that there are real issues, like night terrors, and the other one that's talked about on here all the time, with the not being able to move and hearing voices.

I had the night terror thing since about the age of 2 (around the time my sister died). I stopped havig them at about the age of 9. The other one, I got at the age of 19 or so.

Now my 14 year old brother is going through the similar right now....and can't function at school. (Started up last night, and brought him home today ahlfway though classes.) As he didn't grow up dealing with it, he is having a much harder time dealing with this than I did.

You don't have to see anything to deal with a boogyman.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I saw ghosts till I was almost 5. I stopped seeing them when I told my parents.

Maybe other kids who see spirits say it's "the" boogeyman, when they're probably just seeing ghosts. I doubt a singular boogeyman actually exists.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
The English astronomer, Sir Arthur Eddington, once said, "Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine."

The question for me isn't "Do children or sensitives see something we don't?" The question is, "What are they seeing?"

And I ask that as a guy who's never had any kind of strange or weird experience or sighting. Many years ago an elementary school teacher said to me, "You're way too young to be that cynical." And I had no idea what she meant until I got home and asked my mom.

We all have different perceptual abilities. We see colors in different ways, have different hearing ability, taste different things. I remember the PTC test when I was in high school biology.

The ability to taste, which is dominantly inherited, is one of the most studied of human traits. Researchers for decades have used a compound called phenylthiocarbamide (PTC) to test people’s ability to taste. Studies have shown that 70 percent of the U.S. population tastes PTC from mildly to intensely bitter, while the remaining 30 percent cannot taste it all.
Bitter Taste in Your Mouth?

Point being, not everyone experiences the world (reality- whatever that means) the same way. Whatever abilities are required to experience what's commonly referred to as "paranormal", I'm quite confident I don't have it. But I've been told of enough experiences personally by people I trust implicitly who have no reason to lie to me, that I'm convinced there's something going on.

My two favorite threads in this regard-

jritzmann's Me and "Them" - Alien Experiences

Valhall's Have I Disturbed Some One? (Revisited)

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdrawkcab
My 2 cents; maybe the story of the "boogeyman" came about after a child saw a demonic being under their bed, told their parents, their parents played it off & probably said it was "a monster trying to get you"(In whatever language at the time seeing that th story is quite old) & they named it the boogeyman, not taking the child seriously.
And that probably where the legend came from & that child told their children & such.
And If there was a boogeyman, I highly doubt his/her real name is boogeyman & I highly doubt it's the same entitiy under every kids bed.

well im not totaly saying its the entity under the bed. and also wut if the parents do remember seeing him but havent saw him in a very long time so they believe it was a dream

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 01:39 AM
link   
denynothing,

I believe children see another dimension

[ kinda sorta like that place jody foster went in CONTACT ]

I'm not sure what those things that

kids see can actually do , other than

scare the kid , but

what concerns me is, discounting what

the child sees, as "imagination" ! it impares

his ability to trust his own senses.

I don't see that as a positive thing.

and teaching a child not to trust his senses

serves whom ? eh ?

toasted

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Children are more in tune with things, it is about age 3, when they begin verbalsing in sentences, that they begin to use their other senses more, such as auditory or vocalising, and stop using the sixth sense. Try eavesdropping on a conversation taking place in another room, you'll hear it better if you turn off the light ! This shuts down your visual senses, thus making your hearing much sharper.

Also when children "see things" they are often told they imagined it, and it is best not to talk about it. So they more or less give up, block it out and either learn to stop being this way, or may carry on, becoming a very psychic adult.

top topics

join