It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats a good 1st Gun?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Second on the Ruger 10/22 I hear it's a great rifle.

My first rifle was an old JC Higgins .22 that my dad gave me.
The funny thing is it's technically an assault rifle under NJ law due to the tubular under-barrel magazine - gotta love grandstanding politicians that don't have a clue

Chances are I'll never get bothered about it, but if I start taking it to the range again I guess I'll have to put a dowel in the magazine to reduce the capacity and hope for mercy.

For a first handgun the Ruger Mark II/III would be a good choice, and a fun pistol at the range. The first handgun I fired was a Walther P-38, at cans out in the desert, learning how to walk a can up a sand dune ;-)

The Mark II is kinda cool because the grip/trigger ergonomics of the gun are modeled to a 1911, so it is a natural trainer if you want to step up to a 1911.

If you are a new shooter, I would also reccommend the NRA's Firearms Training Programs, they are very good, my dad enrolled me in one at the local rifle club as soon as I was old enough. The NRA is somewhat controversial as a political organization, but their education/safety programs are above reproach.

[edit on 9/17/06 by xmotex]

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I believe by one of his posts on the first page that The Time is Now was refering to a rifle.

I believe Grady Phillpots suggestion of a single shot or bolt action is quite correct for a first rifle. THe idea being to learn to shoot straight ..not alot as with a semi auto. Shooting dicipline ..and of course safety is always paramount no matter what you are shooting.

No doubt about the 10/22 by Ruger being a fine tool. Also the Mark II Series pistols. I myself own a Ruger Government auto pistol and it is a fine shooting handgun. Very accurate with the bull barrel. I enjoy shooting this .22 caliber pistol. It will put them where I aim.
The wisdom of Bill Ruger is especially noted in these two models of his merchandize line. These two products are priced very well for the market and as a result hold alot of market share. Quite a testament to Bill Ruger.

I have even seen one of those Ruger 10/22 rifles with a bull barrel...and it was a shooter too..very accurate...surprised me when I first laid eyes on it.

I also own one of the Marlin Glenfield model 60 rifles and it is a fine shooting rifle as well.

However ..I am with Grady PHillpot with his view of a first rifle..single shot or bolt action...learn the dicipline..not making alot of noise and going through alot of ammo at first. Learn what it takes to put them where you aim...and do so safely.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 12:17 AM
link   

accurate to over 20cm,s and lethal over an unlimited range (mostly due to choking on the darts though)

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Hi Orangetom,
True words you speak, and many others too.

Thumbnail Market Pitch:
In 1857, Americans Horace Smith and Daniel Wesson developed the first of the
classic 22 caliber rounds, which today is called the 22 Short. By increasing the case
length for better velocity, it became the 22 Long. By increasing the bullet weight
from 29 grains to 40 grains, it became the 22 Long Rifle. In 1960, Winchester introduced
the 22 Magnum. The 22 is the lone survivor of a host of early rimfires, but what a survivor !
According to CCI it is the most popular ammunition product ever conceived with worldwide
consumption in the billions per year. It is an inexpensive, timeless classic.

No matter what I take to the range and what I like to shoot, a 22 caliber ALWAYS goes
with me. I was five years old when my father gave to me the Remington 22 Bolt action that
my grandfather had given him. It belongs to my son now. Just a little testamonial to
encourage you to LISTEN to everyone in this thread who say make your first a
22 caliber and a BOLT action.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 02:28 AM
link   
+1 nightwing.

That would definitly the best choice.

And remember, always wear hearing and eye protection!

I already screwed up my hearing because I thought it wouldn't hurt me after only a few shots, I was dead wrong.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Thanks for the History of the .22 caliber rimfire. I did not know that.
Its always intresting to me to read such history or trivia. Sort of rounds one out in ones knowlege.

Thanks again,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Time_is_now
I was wondering, since I will be able to legally own a gun in a year and a half, what would be a good first gun to buy, i have shot some guns before, so i know the differences, so what would be the best gun to be a first gun?

If you're thinking Rifle, then I recommend a .22 rimfire (pretty much the standard). It has very little recoil, is light, the ammunition is readily available, the accuracy is good, and it can teach you to use your sights rather than relying on scopes. Additionally, unless you shoot someone JUST RIGHT, it is rarely a fatal wound.

If you're thinking a pistol, I recommend a lighter caliber than 9mm, and something made by a reputable manufacturer. If you buy a cheap Llama pistol, you might just have it backfire and turn your hand into hamburger. If you start trying to practice with a 9mm or higher caliber right off the bat, your hand will FEEL like hamburger.

Learn the basics with the light ordinance first. THEN move on to the more impressive stuff.

By the way, I very heavily encourage you to take a gun safety and maintenance class. It may seem boring, uncool, and blah blah blah, but the truth is, you will be a better marksman for it, and your equipment will last much longer if you know how to care for it properly.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   
The first firearm I ever owned, was the Keltec Sub-2000 rifle. Unlike some, I started out with a .40 caliber weapon, rather than .22 It works. The horrible loud noise, makes you respect a weapon real quick like.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join