It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hollywood rewriting history, and promoting war culture.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Hollywood has never really cared much for historical accuracy. It's business is entertainment. Those who look to Hollywood for historical facts are only fooling themselves.

Exactly.

On a broader note, if history as we know it now, has already been recorded incorrectly, then why does it matter if it keeps getting rewritten?

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by nextguyinline
On a broader note, if history as we know it now, has already been recorded incorrectly, then why does it matter if it keeps getting rewritten?

Because then people will get all kinds of mixed messages about history and possibly might even mix up real history with fake history. Popular myths are hard enough to try and squash without more pressure coming from Hollywood. Ask your average person on the street to name the five beaches at D-Day and you'll get all kinds of answers.
And I won't even start to mention the possibilities for holocaust deniers, who would love the chance to throw their poisonous drivel about.
History defines us all - who we are, what language we speak, what political system we grew up in, so many areas about us. We need to keep history as clear as possible.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 07:28 AM
link   
If we define ourselves by incorrect history, what does it matter which incorrect history we define ourselves at?

Naming the 5 beaches of D-day hardly constitutes pertinent knowledge.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 07:36 AM
link   

If we define ourselves by incorrect history, what does it matter which incorrect history we define ourselves at?

Can you define what you mean by 'incorrect history'?
And I think that the five beaches at Normandy does constitute pertinent knowledge. (By the way, it was Gold, Juno, Sword, Omaha and Utah.) It was a part of our history that defined a key moment, when the Anglo-American forces landed in France and committed themselves to the liberation of Western Europe. Thousands died, thousands more were wounded - their sacrifice needs to be told. It's like also telling the history of the battle of Marathon, or Waterloo, or the St Quentin Canal, or Magna Carta, or Robert the Bruce, or Rhodri Mawr. Western civilisation was defined by some of these moments.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Most of the history we are taught is false. Or at least not 100% accurate. That is what I mean by 'incorrect history'.

Knowing the 5 invasion beaches doesn't define one's character nor does the knowledge have any effect on a citizens ability to contribute to society. Excepting future war planners or generals and such. Anyways, the highest majority of citizens do not need to know those beaches like they need to know how to read, write and do simple arithmetic.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Text US' guilt complex over their late entry into WW2. They need to constantly remind themselves that they saved the world,

The Soviet Union was the deciding factor in WW2. Not the USA. All you did was to speed up the inevitable

nobody "won" WW2

and the world has yet to be "saved "

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkmind

And I think that the five beaches at Normandy does constitute pertinent knowledge. (By the way, it was Gold, Juno, Sword, Omaha and Utah.) It was a part of our history that defined a key moment, when the Anglo-American forces landed in France and committed themselves to the liberation of Western Europe. Thousands died, thousands more were wounded - their sacrifice needs to be told.

I totally agree with that sentiment. And for that reason hated every second of Saving Private Ryan that came between the beach and the bridge. Excpet for that excellent scene wher they go through the 101st dog tags in front of the Screaming Eagles. Utterly trite crap.

I'm guessing that most Americans could only name Omaha because that was the one in the movie and therefore assume that all the beaches were as bloody, when in fact the Brits swanned inland from their beaches with almost no resistance. But I guess that's what happens to you when you reject General Hobart's "funny" tanks.

As for those hoping the situation in Hollywood isn't as dire as my doomsaying...Have you seen Pearl Harbour?

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by dj howls

Text US' guilt complex over their late entry into WW2. They need to constantly remind themselves that they saved the world,

The Soviet Union was the deciding factor in WW2. Not the USA. All you did was to speed up the inevitable

nobody "won" WW2

and the world has yet to be "saved "

Good God, for the millionth time: I am not American. Not North, not South and not Central. (and definitely not south-central:lol

US' guilt complex over THEIR late entry into WW2

They

themselves
and

they
(again)

didn't make that clear?

And THEY truly do believe they saved the world from the Nazis and Japanese.

As for the Soviets, they didn't decide anything in the Pacific.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join