It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Predator B: Now known as the MQ-9 Reaper

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 11:09 PM
link   
The Predator "B" has a new name, now dubbed the USAF's first hunter-killer UAV the MQ-9 will henceforth be known as the "MQ-9 Reaper". The MQ-9 is larger and more powerful than the original Predator "A" MQ-1.

Where the Predator could carry 2 Hellfire missiles the "Reaper" is able to carry 14 Hellfire II anti-armor missiles. It can also deliver a 500 lb JDAM and carries twice the sensor load the Predator "A" carried.

It is also able to stay aloft for 14 hours and cruise above 50,000 feet at 260 knots.
The Reaper will provide persistent area denial and quality ISR data thus making it the first UAV that can truly complete the six-stage target cycle of Find, Fix, Track, Target, Engage, and Assess, also known as F2T2EA, or, more simply, the “kill chain.”

General Michael Moseley USAF must be pretty proud right about now...

(edited to insert picture of Reaper taxiing at Creech AFB, NV: Note the weapon pylons on the wings)

[edit on 9-14-2006 by intelgurl]

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Good news.

Thanks for keeping us updated intelgurl!

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Wow, improved sensors and 14 Hellfire missiles?! Talk about persistent area denial. Hey Intelgurl what's it's loiter time and possible production total?

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Wow! Thanks for the info IG. That's a nasty little bird now.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Yikes, 14 hellfire missiles?
Very impressive capabilities.
From what I know, the Predator was best suitable for general reconnaissance, not at tracking down targets in big terrain. Is the MQ-9 Reaper any better? Is it any better at finding specific targets (at 50,000 ft)?

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   
That's a purdy hunter-killer. Can't wait to see the difference it makes on the battlefield.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Thought I'd add some pictures of this bird, ad a few specs as well. 60 airframes seems adequate to me, especially when you consider how much more effective than the current MQ-1 the Reaper will be.

The Predator B is essentially a scaled-up derivative of the RQ/MQ-1 Predator, the major difference in layout being the more conventional upward V-tail. GA-ASI has flown Predator B prototypes with two different powerplants, the first one with a Honeywell TPE-331-10T turboprop and the second one with a Williams FJ44-2A turbofan. The basic equipment suite of the Predator B is similar to that of the RQ/MQ-1 Predator, and the primary mission equipment consists of a Raytheon AN/AAS-52(V) MTS (Multi-Spectral Targeting System) EO/IR sensor turret/laser designator and a General Atomics AN/APY-8 Lynx SAR (Synthetic Aperture Radar). The Predator B can also be used as an armed multi-mission UAV, launching Hellfire II missiles and other guided weapons.

These aircraft are being evaluated by the Air Force, and at least four additional more airframes have been delivered so far. Current orders cover at least 20 MQ-9 aircraft, and the planned total production is 60 airframes. The YMQ-9A has significantly higher performance than the original Predator. It has a mission endurance of 24 hours at a maximum altitude of 13700 m (45000 ft), and GA-ASI claims a total endurance of up to 30 hours. In 2006, the USAF assigned the official "popular name" Reaper to the MQ-9 UAV.

Source

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Interesting to see if flying with an N number on the side. That looks like a NASA sticker ahead of the wing, but it's hard to tell.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 04:10 PM
link   
www.af.mil...
Some more pics

www.af.mil...
The Air Force has seven MQ-9 Reapers in its inventory, with a full-rate production decision expected in 2009.

I like this UAV alot. Keeping pilots safe is a good thing. The guys who control these will have more firepower at their fingertips. Maybe we will one day see the first air to air combat of UAVs. Talk about a live action video game!!!

Great thread.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Interesting to see if flying with an N number on the side. That looks like a NASA sticker ahead of the wing, but it's hard to tell.

That's because those photos are from NASA. In 2005 NASA and the NOAA used the Predator B to do environmental observations and to map terrain.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I wonder what its loiter time would be with 14 hellfires?

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
I wonder what its loiter time would be with 14 hellfires?

Most of the added fuel expenditure would occur during the Reaper's climb, then there would be some degradation on altitude cruising due to weight (100 lbs per missile) and aerodynamics - I'm gonna step out on a limb and guesstimate a reduction of maybe an hour to an hour and a half of flight time.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 09:14 PM
link   
14 Hellfire's, what's the configuration for that? Four on the inner and two on the outer pylons with two on the belly? Or just a quad configuration on the outer with one slot empty?

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
14 Hellfire's, what's the configuration for that? Four on the inner and two on the outer pylons with two on the belly? Or just a quad configuration on the outer with one slot empty?

You have 2 wings (of course), and 2 pylons per wing, 4 HF II's on the inner pylons, 3 on the outer pylons.
I've also seen 5 on inner pylons and 2 on outer - I'm not sure which vendor they chose.
Regarding the belly, a 500 lb JDAM can be slung under fuselage.

[edit on 9-15-2006 by intelgurl]

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   
EDIT: Never Mind

[edit on 15-9-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
EDIT: Never Mind

[edit on 15-9-2006 by WestPoint23]

yeah, i know....

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 09:44 AM
link   
This thing just keeps getting more dangerous. The only thing I could think that would be better would be a small jet and swept wings (just slightly) for a bit more speed. 14 Hellfires is sufficient to do plenty of damage. But just one rhetorical question- if they're anti-tank/anti-armor missiles, what good wil they do against an enemy with no tanks and no clearly identifiable armor?

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Erm, they'll do a whole hell of a lot more. They're DESIGNED to penetrate armor, they'll decimate anything unarmored.

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Well I think there was a version powered by a Turbo-Fan but the USAF rejected it. Maybe because it took away from the range and loiter time, perhaps intelgurl might know more about it. Anyway this version goes about 300 MPH, for it's mission I don't see a need to make it faster, so I wouldn't touch it. And as Zaphod pointed out, a Hellfire was designed for tanks but that doesn't mean it can't completely destroy other things like people, buildings and vehicles.

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Good news intelgurl.

And nice pics westpoint, can't wait to see it in action.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join