It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Czech ammo sucks!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 07:05 PM
link   
7.62 x 39 mm
I fired 40 rounds of this ammo. (BTW someone was bragging about czech guns, if their ammunition is any indication of their firearms STEAR CLEAR!!!)

Any way I fired maybe 4 or 5 rounds and my rifle started to smoke

I safetied the rifle and let it cool thinking maybe it was overheating. I was afraid it was on fire

The rounds are covered in some kind of oil which burns off as the rounds are being fired. Not only that but the metal of these shells are horribly raw looking and look as if they may chip easily. I also had misfires with these round, I mean total duds.

SO I highly recommend the russian ammo to the czech ammo (I fired the same amount of russian rounds and they performed flawlessly).

WOLF all the way from now on! (or at least the russian stuff).

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Oil and ammo don't mix. Any ammo that you even think has come into contact with oil should be discarded appropriately.

You're lucky you didn't wind up with a squib round.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 08:43 PM
link   
It wasnt like it was caked in oil

it had some sort of thin oil on the casing which I guess is meant to improve the round being ejected. I am not sure if it was oil or some kind of lubricant or possibley the material it was made of.....all I know is that when I used this ammo it starts smoking and smelling like burning oil.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   
It doesn't take much, especially with penetrating oils like WD40.

www.findarticles.com...

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 12:07 AM
link   
THanks for that article "What I learned at Camp Perry. "

Intresting information in it.

What I also found very intresting and bookmarked it for future reading was the long list of earlier articles on guns and gun dicipline. I enjoyed the Article on the Thompson Contender and also took note of some of the articles on reloading which I will read at a later date. I appreciate it Grady.

Thanks again for the material,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
7.62 x 39 mm
I fired 40 rounds of this ammo. (BTW someone was bragging about czech guns, if their ammunition is any indication of their firearms STEAR CLEAR!!!)

Brno make some of the finest rifles on earth. Give me one anyday. They also made the ZB26 which became the Bren gun, with which the Brits won WW2.

As for your ammo:

1. Where did you buy it?
2. How old is it?
3. Did you ask the gunsmith anything about it?
4. What is your prior knowledge of handling ammunition?
5. How much research have you done prior to purchasing and using ammunition?
6. What care have you taken of your rifle prior to loading it with this ammunition?

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by HowlrunnerIV

As for your ammo:

1. Where did you buy it?
2. How old is it?
6. What care have you taken of your rifle prior to loading it with this ammunition?

1. I bought it from a gun shop

2. I have no idea how old it was, id say fairly new.

3. I asked for the Wolf ammunition instead, he refused to part with it because it was his "personal stash"

4. Id say pretty good given that I spent most of my life around firearms.

5. what do you mean? did I research the brand? no, it wasnt like I had a choice the guy wouldnt part with his russian ammo. All I really cared about is that it was 7.62 x 39 mm.

6. it is a used SKS model 56 rifle(norinco) I bought earlier in the week and it was kept in fair condition.

It wasnt the rifle because when I shot the ulyanovsk brand it fires perfectly and didnt smoke.

[edit on 15-9-2006 by XphilesPhan]

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I bought military grade Czech 7.62x54 light ball Ammo some time ago and never saw such a thing. Other than a terrible smell, they are standard ammunition.

I should hope you wouldnt put a bullet coated with any grease/wax/oil in your rifle. You are not suppose to have oil anywhere near the firing chamber, bore, or firing pin, only in other moving parts.

If your ammo is soaked in an oil, its useless, no doubt permanently.

7.62x39 is getting tough to find, I'm afraid you wont get anymore bargains like 1000 for $100

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Dude my FAL got a squib round once and it sucked. The bullet left the barrel f-ing it up in the process, but the casing got stuck in the ejection port. The neck of the shell was sticking out but the primer back part was stuck. Scared the S. out of me. Never using cheap 308 ammo again. Perplexed I stoped immediatly and took the rifle over to my neighbor down the hall and showed it to him He's a west coast SEAL lt. who is now in the reserves, cause he got shot one too many times. Once right through his leg just above the knee and once right through his left bicept. His backs all screwed up from parachuting and a little off in the head-post traumatic stress, but I trust him to give me the strait dope on firearms. He explained that I had a squib round from manufacturing f-up pressing the bullet too hard into the casing. Warned me to always always use the best quality ammo and to keep it out of the sun.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan

Originally posted by HowlrunnerIV

As for your ammo:

1. Where did you buy it?
2. How old is it?

1. I bought it from a gun shop

WHICH gunshop, dude? Yeesh.

2. I have no idea how old it was, id say fairly new.

I'd say you should find out and stop assuming things about deadly projectiles.

3. I asked for the Wolf ammunition instead, he refused to part with it because it was his "personal stash"

I'm talking about your ammo, not his. Did you ask him anything like, "How old is it?" or "Why's it covered in oil?" or "Why's it so much cheaper?"? Obviously not.

4. Id say pretty good given that I spent most of my life around firearms.

Then how did you make this mistake and load your rifle with dirty ammo?

5. what do you mean? did I research the brand? no, it wasnt like I had a choice the guy wouldnt part with his russian ammo. All I really cared about is that it was 7.62 x 39 mm.

Maybe you should have. And you always have a choice. Obviously your choice this day was to wait for another before you fired your rifle.

6. it is a used SKS model 56 rifle(norinco) I bought earlier in the week and it was kept in fair condition.

I don't care what superficial evidence there is of the previous owner's tenure. Did YOU clean the rifle, particularly the bore and bolt, correctly yourself before loading the thing or did you just jam a stripper in and let rip?

It wasnt the rifle because when I shot the ulyanovsk brand it fires perfectly and didnt smoke.

And did you clean it before firing it again?

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 12:19 AM
link   
It was the cosmoline in the gun
...my bad....lol....

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 05:35 AM
link   
At least Sellier&Bellot in czech makes ammo with good price and quality. I mainly use their rounds in my 9mm..

top topics

join