It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old Injury

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Just wondering if anyone could help me out here.

About 3 years ago i went over my ankle playing basketball, it was the most painful thing i have ever done it floored me for a good 5 minutes but after that i could just about get away with walking on it. I rested it as much as possible but after resting it for long periods of time it would be incredibly painful to startw walking again for teh first few steps then it kindof loosened off again and was painful, but not to teh extent that it would stop me walking arround a bit.

It healed up and i forgot about it ubtill about 6 months ago when it just started hurting again, just a bit at first like it ached then just like before. i.e. if i rested it it would eb more painful to start walking. only this time it came on slowly and built up without going over it again. ever since then it has just been playing up on and off aching when i walk in my boots for work but alot better in my every day shoes.

The pain is on the outside of my right foot and stretches from roughly 2 inches along from my ankle to the base of my 4 little toes.

Anyone got any ideas for stretches or sumthing to keep it at bay?

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by manta
Just wondering if anyone could help me out here.

About 3 years ago i went over my ankle playing basketball, it was the most painful thing i have ever done it floored me for a good 5 minutes but after that i could just about get away with walking on it. I rested it as much as possible but after resting it for long periods of time it would be incredibly painful to startw walking again for teh first few steps then it kindof loosened off again and was painful, but not to teh extent that it would stop me walking arround a bit.

It healed up and i forgot about it ubtill about 6 months ago when it just started hurting again, just a bit at first like it ached then just like before. i.e. if i rested it it would eb more painful to start walking. only this time it came on slowly and built up without going over it again. ever since then it has just been playing up on and off aching when i walk in my boots for work but alot better in my every day shoes.

The pain is on the outside of my right foot and stretches from roughly 2 inches along from my ankle to the base of my 4 little toes.

Anyone got any ideas for stretches or sumthing to keep it at bay?

It may be arthritis. I blew out my right knee years ago in a fight; and my fiance blew both of hers out in basketball. We both have arthritis really bad. It acts up now and then, makes it hard to walk. Try some Bayer. Also, when it starts hurting, try an ice pack on the location of the pain for twenty minutes, a heated pad for twenty, and nothing on it for another twenty.

Hell, try a doctor.

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Years ago (over thirty years), I broke both of my ankles in two seperate sporting incidents. In fact, I walked on one broken ankle for two weeks before I ended up breaking the other ankle playing football. Yes, walking on a broken ankle is possble and, I don't have to add, very painful. Since then, I have had to deal with recurrent ankle pain.

Arthritis is certainly an issue but I tend to think that, in your case, the tendons were torn or stretched (sprained). Soft tissue damage, like a tendon tear, can take a long time to repair itself. The more you use your ankle -- like you can avoid walking? -- the longer it will take to heal. Frankly, it can take years and there is no guarantee that they will ever heal properly -- depending on the extent of the injury -- without surgery.

When my ankles "act up", I find that using an elastic ace bandage wrap provides support and some relief. If I know that I am going to be particularly active, ie; running, jumping, etc. I put on a thin sock and then I use adhesive bandage tape about one and a half inches wide to wrap my ankle. The tape provides excellent support and will help prevent the ankle and the tendons from becoming over-extended. Just don't wrap your ankle too tightly....be sure to allow for proper circulation.

For pain relief, an ice pack is always a good idea as are taking anti-inflamatory pain meds such as Motrin (Ibuprofin). When possible, always keep your foot elevated.

If your pain persists, it's always a good idea to have it checked out by your doctor. He might suggest the same things that I do but he also might notice that there other factors that might be causing your discomfort.

posted on Oct, 1 2006 @ 07:53 AM
link   
ah thanks for those replies i thought this just died off into the abyss.

The pain has gone for now i just rested it as much as possible and it seems to have done the job.

when/if it comes back next time i will get a doctor to look at it, but my geuss is they will just say rest it and put a support bandage on it.

It could be that it is just weak and i should support it when im exercising from now on i will see how it goes over the next few months

top topics

join