It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global warming = rise in sea level?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   
One of the primary disaster scenarios the Global Warming folks repeatedly cite is the rise in sea level due to melting polar ice. Please check out this article from NASA/JPL and help me understand why a 14% reduction in arctic ice over a one year period has not resulted in a rise in sea level.

It seems that 14 percent of the arctic ice mass would equate to at least 3-4% of the total global ice mass from both poles.

Help me out on this one.

Thanks

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Sorry, but I've already started a thread dealing with this "Folks,This Is Getting Serious" : www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Perennial ice can be 3 or more meters (10 or more feet) thick. It was replaced by new, seasonal ice only about 0.3 to 2 meters (one to seven feet) thick that is more vulnerable to summer melt.

Nasa

This is the precursor to the actual melting of the Ice that will rise sea levels. The main threat from sea rises infact appears to come from the Green land Ice shelf rather than the artic. this is disapearing to. One of the consequenses of global warming is that more moisture will be in the atmosphere, it take a while for these effects t actually relate to a rise in the sea level globally. It is like a chain of events, nothing happens in a clear cut and straight way in Environmental factors, it is usually a process that affects another etc to an predictable end result.

For more information please look at the following.

"For every degree (F) increase in the mean annual temperature near Greenland, the rate of sea level rise increases by about 10 percent," Steffen said. Currently the oceans are rising by a little more than half an inch per decade. In addition, melt water has been shown to directly affect the rate of ice flow off Greenland, penetrating the ice sheet and causing the glaciers to accelerate in speed as they slide over a thin film of melt water.
Preliminary measurements from the Greenland Ice Sheet show the melt extent of 265,000 square miles, a new record, underscoring the unusual warming there and surpassing the maximum melt extent from the past 24 years by more than 9 percent, said CIRES climatologist Konrad Steffen, a professor in geography and in the Program in Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences at the University of Colorado.

Link 1

source 2

source 3

Kind regards

elf

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Thanks for the information,

Per Speakers reply, I'll take my follow-ups over to the other thread

[edit on 9/14/2006 by darkbluesky]

top topics

join