It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drug Testing In High Schools... What Do You Think?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 09:28 PM
link   
You know, I probably would'nt be so against drug testing in public schools if I wasnt currently attending one while on drugs. But seriously, I don't think they should have the authority to make students undergo drug tests. It's a waste of time and I don't see anything positive that could come from it other than decreasing the number of students in attendance.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Techsnow
Why would they smoke marijuana if they have to take piss tests? They wont.
But the truth is drugs are a mystery and every teen thinks about trying them.
The truth is methamphetamine is everywhere in the U.S.?
The fact is methamphetamine does not show up in piss tests.
Will this just make more teens say no to marijuana and maybe to meth?
Probably so.

I don't think so. I know people that might go to great lengths to avoid drug tests are find ways to pass them, but they would not discontinue their drug use. In fact, most of them would probably give up sports and extracurricular activities just to continue their drug use, and as a previous poster said, even if one was banned, it would only give them more time to take part in drug use.

I don't honestly see that much of a problem with marijuana use. I'm a teenager, and I've never tried marijuana in my life, but I do drink, and I see much more severe impairment from drinking than marijuana, and of course drinking is legal. (not for teens of course, but anyways...) I do drinking because people seem to think drugs are so horrible and destructive. While some of them may be, I personally don't think marijuana is that bad for you, and it's been proven to be better than drinking and smoking cigarettes. Just because I know that it is more healthy than alcohol, and doesn't impair the body as much, I still stay away from it just in case of drug tests, and I have no personal interest in it. However, I do drink every now and then.

I honestly don't see much of a problem with marijuana. People have been doing it for thousands of years, and every anti-drug show etc. will tell you of all the brain cells that it kills. While it may kill brain cells, I find many pot smokers to be among the smartest people in my school, whether that may be coincidence or not. I also stopped at Harvard and know people that go there, and if you think that only stupid people smoke weed and do drugs, then perhaps you should look into the amount of drugs taken there. It might not be incredibly higher than average, but Harvard is a big time weed school; I can say that at least.

Now, since I've gone pretty far off topic, I'll answer the question in the thread.

I don't think it's right that high schools are drug testing. As previous posters said, it is the parents responsibility. Kicking these students out of extracurricular activities is not going to help, especially in the longrun. And finally, it's simply not their place to decide these things, especially since I don't think certain drugs, such as marijuana, are all that harmful to the body. Finally, if they actually kicked everyone that does drugs out of all activities and sports, then they would be lacking clubs and sports teams. Or at least, that's the situation they would be in at most schools thats I know.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I agree it is the parent's responsibity but some parents don't know this and some kids can't talk to their parents so unfortunately it comes down to the schools and like I've asked before isn't it better for the kids to get help and councilling through drug testing in the schools rather then them being thrown in jail (or worse) later on???

If it was my children I would want councilling and help for them.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Koori
isn't it better for the kids to get help and councilling through drug testing in the schools rather then them being thrown in jail (or worse) later on???

Thats the problem, it is not for anything but cannabis. That is the only substance (it is an herb not a drug, if you extracted the THC it would be a drug) that stays in the system for a long period of time. Most other drugs go away within days, but cannabis stays in the fat cells for 30 days. Drugs like heroin, cocain, and meth go away within days so the kids that will use drugs will just switch to the more dangerous drugs, and not smoke pot.

It is a boneheaded move that is propelled by the scum-bag politicians that have a financial interest in the drug testing companies. They are sacrificing our kids for profit, niot to help them.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I honestly thought they'd be testing for "hard" drugs not pot.

I can't believe the government would be making a profit out of this...totally Sux

So it's not the kids their looking out for it themselves (government). I guess I just wanted to believe that finally the government were going to do something RIGHT but it looks like once again their selfishess comes through.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 10:56 PM
link   
This is BS. Neither school, Government, etc have a right to take drug tests for school kids. Give me a goddamn break! This is the biggest bs I've heard today! I don't drink or do drugs, but the only way someone (other then when applying for a job) is getting a urine or other sample for me (oh yeah, also if its a cop stopping me, but he will be talking to my lawyer immedietly upon giving me the test
) is over my dead body!

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 10:59 PM
link   
By the way, I strongly believe drinking is WAY worse then weed, mainly due to seeing people do both and seeing the difference. Weed is only slightly worse then cigarettes-cigarettes can get you high, too.

Though, I've never done ANY sort of drug, I used to drink ALOT. But the last time I even sipped on wine was 2 years ago. I've completely quit drinking since then.

df1

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Another shining example of why the power to random drug test students should not be hands of school officials. These idiots can't even tell difference between a deadly weapon & a squirt gun.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A Missouri mother is angry that her first-grader was suspended from school over a plastic toy gun.

"I asked her, 'You're going to suspend my son for 10 days for this? He cannot harm a soul with this,'" said Danielle Womack, whose son, Tawann Caskey, was suspended from Milton Moore Elementary School in Kansas City.

Tawann was suspended over a 2-inch plastic squirt gun.

"She told me it's a weapon, a little girl saw it and reported to a teacher that he had a weapon," Womack said.
source

The school districts response to the newspaper is the typical unjustified parent bashing done by many school officials. Our schools are in a decline because of stupid school officials like these, but the media always blames the parents. If the house of representatives has its way, school officials will soon be able to strip search these first graders to find such deadly weapons.

The school district said that the incident should be a reminder to parents to check their children's backpacks before they go to school.

The education problem accross america has more do with the ignorance & incompetence within the government run schools rather than bad parenting. We are being lied to on this issue because the purpose of the parent bashing is to take away more parental rights and to put those powers in the hands of the government.

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Koori
I agree it is the parent's responsibity but some parents don't know this and some kids can't talk to their parents so unfortunately it comes down to the schools and like I've asked before isn't it better for the kids to get help and councilling through drug testing in the schools rather then them being thrown in jail (or worse) later on???

This argument seems to be going in circles. But, basically the sum of your argument is that my kids should be subject to random testing due to the lack of parenting that persists in the general population?

I will continue to press my question of ... would you be willing to submit to random testing as an adult? If you were walking down the street and asked to submit to a drug test with no probable cause, would you not be offended? Yes, kids do not have the same protections as adults ... but that is because they are under the care/responsibility of their parents or guardians ... they should have the same protection from government search and seizure that we all enjoy.

There are valid ways to drug test children who are displaying signs of being under the influence of illegal substances. If teachers are unable to see the signs .. give them some more training in the subject matter. If there are enough signs of being under the influence, the local law enforcement can be called and they would have probable cause to conduct an investigation, including testing to determine the facts. This will allow them opportunity to get into the counseling and treatment programs they may need ... whether they work or not is a different story?

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 12:07 AM
link   
It sucks, there are teachers and councelors pushing for testing on my nephew, who maybe doesn't pay attention or hums. Yup, I said he hums, I'm not making this story up. And this is a reason stated for the Psychology dept., (AKA counselors) to test him. Ok, so he's 6 years old, how many 6 year olds are sitting there with careers on their minds? And WTF, humming is a problem? And they keep insisting on testing him because the "know" there is a problem, but they "haven't found it yet." He has been said to be very smart, but the testing continues? So here is what it comes down to. I guess he is being pushed toward Ritalin or something. Continue reading, there is a point.

Does anyone see the problem here? The school busts a kid for a little weed, but then the school system councelors push drugs on you, that are far more dangerous (but more profitable) than weed.

Something(s) insane is going on, on a big scale I feel in this world. And it's not just this.

Troy

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   
bringing up an old one here....

Let it be known that I also think that Teachers should be tested for drugs.

I also think that all employers shoud have to give drug tests before hiring people.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Haha all you guys are worrying about it whos all in high school. Its not like they can just give you a drug test, they have to get your parents consent and all my friends would tell there parents that they were doing this or that. Parents would refuse the test and then the kids would be *screwed* but its not like the parents dont do anything. Pot isnt a gateway drug it doesnt make you stop going to school and not have any frineds. I know ppl who smoke everyday multiple times and still are pulling a 3.5-4.0 gpa. Random drug screening would be just the kids that have long hair and are not in sports. At least thats the way it would be around here. I dont play sports and have long hair so im automatically labeled as a pot head haha while i have smoked with many of the kids that play sports and they wont get tested at least at my school. All in all though im done with high school the end of the month so i really dont care. My bros are still gonna be in school but the way i see it is that all the school can do is request to have your parents sign a waiver statiing that they can give a drug test. In sports sure why cant they test you i dont know how many ppl have a job on here haha but almost every job i have worked for states that they can randomly give you a drug test. So why the big deal just because its at school????

Caps is because im at work not yelling at anyone hahaha

peace

Mod edit - changed from All Caps and removed censor circumvention

[edit on 30-4-2007 by Duzey]

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   
i think it is OK under certain circumstances. for example, i think it's OK for kids to be tested before they're allowed to join the baseball team. this will get them ready for any future baseball they may play where drug tests are a regular thing.

under other circumstances, such as a 3 strick rule, i think it would be OK to test.

really, they shouldn't do it. but they already are so now we have to come to terms with each other on how far they're allowed to push the envelope.

[edit on 1-5-2007 by LooseLipsSinkShips]

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 07:21 AM
link   
as if we needed more...

Scenario:

You are actively involved in your son or daughter's life; they are in school and doing well.

Then they get tested at some sporting event or something. And since it is government-run, the test is administered incompetently and returns a false positive.

But they contact you and say your child is "doing drugs". Your child, of course, says, no, they are not.

But you have these 'test' results. That are bogus, but so very official. So you take your child to task, sit them down and have a big deal talk or such.

And now, the trust between you and your child is very potentially damaged, due to a poorly run test that is in violation of many aspects of a truly free culture.

Now you may not trust your child as much, and you can bet they sure don't trust you as much.

But by golly we're doing something about drug use!!

Cool, eh?

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 07:50 AM
link   
A couple of replies for the last two posts...

1st - random doesn't mean they randomly choose based on ones looks or sport participation. Random would be just that.. randomly pulling names or maybe locker #'s and testing the lockers owners etc.

2nd - If a kid was tested and the test came back positive and the parents were just positive that the kid wasn't doing drugs and felt that the test was flawed, they could always take the kid to thier own doctor / hospital for another test.

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
2nd - If a kid was tested and the test came back positive and the parents were just positive that the kid wasn't doing drugs and felt that the test was flawed, they could always take the kid to thier own doctor / hospital for another test.

Yes, they absolutely could. At non-trivial cost in terms of time, money and trust. All in response to an over-reactive, ineffective, invasive and disrespectful school policy.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join