It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

News report: Syrian government says that U.S was behind attack on their own embassy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 12:26 AM
link   
According to this news article Syria says that the U.S is behind the attacks on their own embassy.

heres a snippet

Senior Syrian government official have accused the US of being behind Tuesday's assault on its own embassy in downtown Damascus.A Baath party official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told WorldNetDaily, "We in the government are 100 percent sure America was behind this attack, which is not the same as other attacks by Islamic groups."

He explained, "Only the Americans can succeed in carrying out an attack just 200 meters from President [Bashar] Assad's residence in the most heavily guarded section of Syria."

Now the article also goes on to suggest that the reason why the united states would do such a thing by saying that it was done to show that syria isnt cracking down on terrorism etc etc...and to show their people that they have a weak spot in their security against terrorism.

ok so....a couple comments and questions for ya...

if the united states did do it for that reason, it had the reverse effect. all ive been hearing on news reports on the TV is how this is an example of how syria is behind us with the WOT, and now alot of people are actually labeling syria as our partner in the WOT, so that reasoning doesnt fit quite well.

questions:

1. do you think this was done by the united states?

2. if so why?

3. if you DONT think the united states did it...who do you think did?

4. and if you dont think the united states did it why do you think syria would come out and make such a claim?

5. if you believe this was done by islamic terrorists, do you think we are going to see more attacks on our soil anytime soon?

here is the full article:
Syria says U.S is responsible for the attack on its embassy

Look forward to reading your take on things as always,

Digitalgrl

[edit on 10/01/2004 by DigitalGrl]

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by DigitalGrl
According to this news article Syria says that the U.S is behind the attacks on their own embassy.

As soon as the news started pouring in about this incident i jokingly said to myself wont be long before someone makes the claim America or the Jews did it.

if the united states did do it for that reason, it had the reverse effect. all ive been hearing on news reports on the TV is how this is an example of how syria is behind us with the WOT

We heard the same in Australia,Syria was praised for their actions.
questions:

1. do you think this was done by the united states?

No

2. if so why?

Does not apply

3. if you DONT think the united states did it...who do you think did?

With the release of these new terrorist video`s calling for support and attacks i`d say it was a few Muslim wanna be honored extremists.(for the want of better wording)

4. and if you dont think the united states did it why do you think syria would come out and make such a claim?

Playing both sides of the fence maybe?

5. if you believe this was done by islamic terrorists, do you think we are going to see more attacks on our soil anytime soon?

Who can really say?but i`d hazard a guess and say yes but not necessarily on your soil only/solely.

Good find DigitalGrl

[edit on 14-9-2006 by gps777]

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 03:33 AM
link   
hmmm an article from WorldNetDaily quoting an "annonymous" source... hmm hmm...
I could post a similar "story" on my website...

Anyways...

A bunch of people could have orchestrated this attack.

First, Israel. They are not at very good odds with Syria and so far the western world and Syria are somewhat getting along. If they want to start a war with Syria they have to make them look like enemies. An attack on american embassy would be a good start. They have the means to do it.

Of course, USA could have organized it too, for whatever reasons, though I cannot see exactly why they would want a war with Syria now. They are not best friends but they do tolerate eachother. Then again, you never know...

Then islamic extremists. To them any chaos is good chaos. Likely suspects and noted to be moronic enough in the past to hit embassies.

Then there is another possibility. The attack was stopped. Syrian goverement just got a huge plus point. They are able to STOP the attacks. This is a huge political gain, now nobody can say they are not doing enough to stop terrorists. The whole thing could have been a well executed plan of syrian goverment to gain political advantage.

So, everybody has many enemies, everybody is a likely suspect and this world is going to hell.

Thats my 2 eurocents.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 03:58 AM
link   
If the US did orchestrated this attack, i doubt their expected outcome would be to praise Syria for their actions at the end... *shrugs*

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mammoth
If the US did orchestrated this attack, i doubt their expected outcome would be to praise Syria for their actions at the end... *shrugs*

That would be why Condi Rice was almost in tears then when she was forced to thank them. Honestly, she looked very upset at this, her voice was shaky, her eyes looked funny. I felt like she was worried about something...

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Because Syria isn't going to come out and say "We just had a stunning failure of our intelligence and counterterrorism agencies." They're going to push the blame to someone else, instead of admitting they failed to see it coming, or saw it coming and did nothing to stop it.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

Because Syria isn't going to come out and say "We just had a stunning failure of our intelligence and counterterrorism agencies." They're going to push the blame to someone else, instead of admitting they failed to see it coming, or saw it coming and did nothing to stop it.

Wait a minute - this reminds me of something. uhhhh, oh it's right on the tip of my tongue...dammit! I hate when this happens.

I'll get back with you.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Considering the original source is an "anonymous source" talking to WorldNutDaily, color me skeptical that there is anything to this report. Frankly I'd be shocked if WND has "sources" anywhere near the Syrian .gov - being as frankly anti-Arab and pro Israel as WND is, maybe they got a janitor at the foreign office to talk to them?

They're going to push the blame to someone else, instead of admitting they failed to see it coming, or saw it coming and did nothing to stop it.

Err, but they did stop it...

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 07:23 AM
link   

I'm going to assume your high, as that was just a dumb thing to say. Engage the grey matter and read the original reports about the attack and you'll see Syrian Anti-Terrorist forces actaully fought off the attack and one of them was killed in the firefight.

Thats US gratitude for you.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

I'm going to assume your high, as that was just a dumb thing to say. Engage the grey matter and read the original reports about the attack and you'll see Syrian Anti-Terrorist forces actaully fought off the attack and one of them was killed in the firefight.

I believe the point that Zaphod was trying to make was that the Syrians obviously had no prior intelligence or warning of the attack, nor was any extra security precautions taken prior to the attack.

There are usually 20-30 Syrian security personnel in the immediate vicinity of the US embassy at all times, so the fact that there was a fairly immediate response to the bomb detonation and subsequent assault do not mean the Syrians were prepared in advance. It just means the security personnel on site, after being caught with their pants down, quickly pulled them up and reacted in the proper fashion.

Considering the extraordinary level of strong-arm internal security that is applied by the Syrain government to all foreigners across the board, the fact that this brazen attack even happened certainly in my mind qualifies as a "stunning failure". And I'm alos fairly sure that any anonymous "senior Syrian government officials" commenting on US involvement in this incident are no doubt somehow connected to Syrian internal security......and are just trying to deflect attention and heat away from their own glaring deficiencies.

Do you know what the Assads do to Syrians who fail them in matters as important as this?

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   
This is an anonymous source thats true. But they are right to say this attack was not the way any Muslim terrorst groups attack.

Think about it, they pulled up and the guys got out of the truck and they were holding guns. Before they could even light their bomb they were killed...

Don't Muslims normally just cruise up and then... well u know the rest.

Another thing thats true to consider is, how did they manage to get that close if they had guns on them?

I don't know what happened but I do know that when the US fakes attacks, the attacker doesn't normally die. The US just has the guy set the bomb and get the hell out.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 11:31 AM
link   
With the way politics has been play to push the war on terror agenda in the middle east.

I will reserve my opinion until somebody can prove without a doubt that it was terrorist the ones that did it.

But hey!!!!!! way a minute!!!!!!no matter who did it is still a terrorist attack by US standards, Right?

Humm the war on terror is getting me confuse.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
Considering the original source is an "anonymous source" talking to WorldNutDaily, color me skeptical that there is anything to this report.

World Nut Daily.......hehehehehehehehehe. Appropriate, definitely

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 01:21 PM
link   

The US did praise the Syrian government for its actions and thanked them wholeheartedly. I believe thats why Condi was so emotional during the moment she was conveying thanks to the Syrian Govt. You obviously have never been to through the southern US, most polite and hospitable place in the world.

US Praises Syrian Response

Condi Praises Syrian Response

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Yeah, I know she did, it was the condescending tone of the post that I was criticising.

Just be thankful none of your guys got hurt and the Syrians took the heat, but then, if they didn't, then I guess we'll be looking at one hell of a poo storm...

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Yeah, I know she did, it was the condescending tone of the post that I was criticising.

Just be thankful none of your guys got hurt and the Syrians took the heat, but then, if they didn't, then I guess we'll be looking at one hell of a poo storm...

So now your down to criticizing the tone of her voice. So what's next? Criticizing the color of the outfit she wore during the press conference?

We are thankful that nobody was seriously hurt. And the Syrians took the heat because a) it was their country b) it was their job c) it was their lack of security

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Er, no. Re-read my post and then reply.

To save you time, I was criticising Zaphod58, not Condi.

English is a wonderful language.....

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Muslims hardly get along, and Syria has had its problems with inner fighting...

that is why now, they are considered to have one of the most effectual, and largest secret services in the region.
they needed to...

now they have an attack within country, on a guest embassy...
even if it is the American embassy, that is embarrasing...

so of course its our fault...

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Er, no. Re-read my post and then reply.

To save you time, I was criticising Zaphod58, not Condi.

English is a wonderful language.....

And I wasn't criticizing Syria for their response. I AM thankful none of our people got hurt. My ONLY point was that they were pointing the finger at us out of embarassment, because they didn't know it was coming.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 09:55 PM
link   

My ONLY point was that they were pointing the finger at us out of embarassment, because they didn't know it was coming.

And your ONLY evidence for this claim is an unreliable report of an anonymous source by a highly ideological media outlet that has an axe to grind with the Syrians.

I have seen no other evidence besides this one suspect report that anyone in the Syrian government has made this kind of claim.

It's almost certainly a bogus meme, consciously manufactured to produce exactly such a result, most likely to counter the ideological confusion created by Syria (part and parcel of the nebulous but nefarious Enemy) thwarting an attack by Islamic militants (supposedly part of that very same menace.)

Notice how quickly this story has vanished from the media radar.
Syria stopping a terrorist attack aimed at the US is not something the crowd running the show right now wants to see on people's minds.

The argument they make is that Syria, Iran, Al Quaeda, Hezbollah, etc. are all part of the same Enemy... that Syria would kill "their own" and thwart an attack on the US throws an unhappy bit of cold water on this claim.

[edit on 9/14/06 by xmotex]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join