It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your favorite Greek myth and why?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I have been interested in Greek mythology since I was 7 y.o. and my mother told me the story of Persephone. I've been studying it ever since then. I'm interested to hear what the rest of you consider to be your favorite Greek myth and why. Also I'm intersted to hear your interpretation of that myth.

My favorite myth is Psyche and Eros. A very simplistic version is here:

library.thinkquest.org...

Psyche's search is universal in that we all seek to know our Psyche. Also the interplay between men and women, I think is very realistic, not to mention the mother-in-law, Aphrodite. Psyche's search, I believe, in one sense is a search for wholeness and completion within herself.

Anyone else?

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I like Hades and Persephone the best, because I just like the story.

en.wikipedia.org...

I don't really have any good interpretation of the myth, but I read an interesting theory once where this myth was really an interpretation of a BDSM type of relationship. Don't think it's necessarily true, but there you are.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   
My favorite Greek Myth is the one about the birth of the twins Artemis and Apallo, my best guess of an interpratation would be that it's based on a real woman who went into hiding to give birth, possibly the children were not her husbands, perhaps she wasn't married....
Honestly though Ive never worried about interprating it, I just like the story and Artemis is my favorite Goddess from greek mythology.

[edit on 12-9-2006 by kastinyque]

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
My favorite myth is Prometheus, with whom I can (remotely) identify.

Prometheus held no awe for the gods, and he ridiculed Zeus. Prometheus carefully crafted a creature after the shape of the gods: a man. Prometheus felt sorry as they shivered in the cold and winter's nights. He decided to give man a great gift that was a "good servant and bad master."

He took fire from the Hearth of the gods by stealth and brought it to men. Zeus was enraged because the giving of fire began an era of enlightenment for Man. As the introducer of fire and the inventor of crafts, Prometheus was seen as the patron of human civilization. Uncertain sources claim he was worshiped in ancient Rome along with other gods. The Olympic torch carried from Athens to the site of the Olympiad is in recognition of Prometheus.
See en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 9/12/2006 by donwhite]

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I'm fond of the birth of Athena - who sprang fully grown from the head of Zeus.

I relate in that even though I'm female, I tend to take after my father, whom I love and cherish for his intellectualism and rude humor.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
the 11th task of Heracles because it tells you more than it should about Heaven

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I'm going to have to go with the Amazons because...erm...uh...you know. Xena, Warrior Princess. 'Nuff said.

join