It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All for £2.45 an hour!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   
It would appear that our soldiers serving in Afghanistan and Iraq are putting their lives on the line for just £2.45p an hour!

Whilst those
in MOD are moaning about the cost of these two wars, my mates who deploy to Helmand Province Monday after next, are being paid a pittance.

The minimum Legal wage in this country for those aged 18-22 is £4.25p an hour, whilst those over 22 get £5.05p an hour, and even those on Job Seekers or Social Security get more.

Our troops have to pay their Council Tax - even though they are deployed to a war zone, they get hammered by the taxman because they receive a little Local Overseas Allowance and to top it all, they have to pay full National Insurace.

Yes they get a special ROP for hazardous duty as our US friends call it, but that is only the old 'X' Factor which is about 75p a day.

My time is long gone. I am no longer able or to be honest willing to pick up the Queen's Shilling but if I were, I'd want a darn sight more than £2.45 an hour!

the lot of them!

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   
If I remember right when the minimim wage was brought in the armed forces weren't included...

Government doesn't give two hoots about the mess they've caused and the people they've thrown into the blender that is the middle east.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 03:24 AM
link   
You're right mate, but of course 'we' don't really give a monkey's because they are out of sight.

Imagine the rows if they suddenly 'downed tools' and went on strike. That would make HMG sit up and take notice.

What about our erstwhile Allies? How much do our American cousins get paid for being in harm's way?

How about a response from you guys? What do you feel is a decent wage for waging war?

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 02:56 PM
link   
that cant be right surely? how come people still go join the armed forces then, thats a great inscentive to join. no wonder they have problems

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Fritz,
Is this real, humiliating at the least. Great Britain is a member of the EU, and the united nations I can not imagine they treat their soldiers like this.
Don't they have huge benefits or some sort of compensation?
I hope so:bnghd:
WIS

[edit on 15-9-2006 by WalkInSilence]

new topics

top topics

join